The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rickett Benkiser Woolite® - Rickett Benkiser Woolite® - (pH 7.5) (called Zero in Canada) is intended for delicate fabrics and fine washables such as lingerie and cashmere sweaters, so it won’t remove polish, oils or car care products.

Woolite® has a number of issues that do not lend to long term quality care of interior car parts and components. Using a detergent that contains surfactants is meant to be flush rinsed (i.e. rinsed until it runs clear) in a situation where this is not possible, is not recommended as when it dries it will attract dirt and contribute to re-soiling, it will cause leather to shrink and harden .

These types of detergent soaps tend to be formulated with a Sodium Laureth Sulphate to enable foaming, this salt content may not be safe to use on leather upholstery, as this can compromise pigmented leather and / or its polyurethane covering.

This product contains alkalis (sodium hydroxide), which forms a strong alkaline solution when dissolved in a solvent such as water to provide foaming, and a solvent (alcohol) as an aid to cleaning; these will further aggravate the drying out process due to its capillary action and their affinity with moisture.

It also contain optical brighteners (Stilbenes) which are dyes that absorb energy in the UV-B light spectrum thereby accelerating UV degradation when exposed to large amounts of UV light through a car window. They fade, degrade, and destroy fibres and also tend to dry out the upholstery

Rickett Benkiser Woolite® MSDS - http://www.rbnainfo.com/MSDS/US/Wool...es_Conc-US.pdf

A response from a Reckitt Benckiser company representative – on cleaning car interior parts with Woolite®

[Too fully remove the soap requires a large volume of water to flush it away, simply wiping off would leave a large amount of residue behind that could attract more dirt. The second problem they alluded to was that Woolite® is formulated as a gentle fabric cleaner and was never intended to clean materials other then fabric so they have never tested it as such. Asked specifically about Cadillac and Lexus (as well as all other car manufacturers) recommendation for using Woolite® to clean leather, they stated that Woolite® have never recommend their product for cleaning leather]
    Reckitt Benckiser

[Edit: MSDS hyperlink revied- 07.22.12]
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told by my detailer to stop the using this product. Since I did I noticed my leather staying cleaner longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Suractant residue", same with all purpose cleaners, carpet cleaners, etc.

One "HAS" to remove the surfactant residue as it becomes very "sticky" when dry and will pull soil, dirt, etc from clothing, shoes, etc.

A few good wipes with a water only wet towel, doing it a couple of times and wiping dry after each time will usually remove the majority of the surfactant residue.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    What then is a good readily available reasonably priced alternative?? I`ve always used Woolite (20 to 1 with water) and as Ron mentioned wiped well with wet towel and it seemed to be doing the job with no harm, but always open to something new.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use it and wipe to almost dry and then follow with a damp rag. I would argue against leaving ANY sort of cleaner product on leather. Imagine if someone sold a shampoo for you hair that didn`t need rinsing!

Thread Information