The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Provided the paint finish has been rinsed adequately (See Drying a Vehicle ‘sheeting’ water) there should be no dirt residue.

Water is a good solvent but a very poor surface lubricator. Try using a drying aid type detailer (Dodo Juice USA -Time to Dry, Finish Kare - FK425, Autoglym Aqua Wax or Car Plan - Demon Shine) diluted 1:1 with distilled water, which provides lubricity to the paint`s surface, in tandem with a damp waffle weave towel (wet, wring and then wipe) when drying your car - this will help break the surface tension of the beads causing the water to run off, allowing the towel to soak up more, and minimise water spots while lowering the friction of the towel over the surface. Do not over apply as this may cause streaking.

Take two waffle-weave drying towels; one soaking wet (a wet towel wicks away more water than a dry towel) and one damp. Wring out the wet towel and use it as your primary drying towel, use this towel to blot- dry and check and rinse the towel often. Wring it out as you go, this will leave smaller wet streaks, which you can remove with your damp towel and it should leave a ‘streak’ free paint surface. This drying technique is excellent for black cars (including ‘soft’ single stage paint that shows every surface mark) but look so good when they are properly detailed.

This process never includes scrubbing, rubbing or applying any pressure whatsoever. The only time that pressure needs to be applied to a paint surface is when you are polishing

Alternative - dry the car using a surfactant type (ONR) quick detail spray dilution (8oz / gallon) and a waffle weave micro fibre towel.

Why? A surfactant encapsulates any dirt and will provide lubricity to the paint`s surface as you blot the paint to minimize adding imperfections. This method will safely remove any water spots that might occur
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    What product do you use as a Drying Aid?
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    What product do you use as a Drying Aid?

Ah, shades of that discussion on the QD thread

I use my regular QDs:

-Griot`s SpeedShine (waxed vehicles)

-FK425 or FK146 (sealed vehicles)

I suppose AI/VG Fast Finish oughta be mentioned in any discussion of drying aids, but I use it for trim/etc. as opposed to painted surfaces as it doesn`t quite leave the look/feel I`m after, at least not compared with my other QDs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Griot`s mostly, then FK425 or 3D Final Touch
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about a mixing ratio for ONR as a drying aid? I hear a lot of good stuff about the Dodo Juice but if it`s not needed and ONR works then why buy another item. Especially one that is not cheap if you are a professional and go through the stuff like candy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn F.
    What about a mixing ratio for ONR as a drying aid? I hear a lot of good stuff about the Dodo Juice but if it`s not needed and ONR works then why buy another item. Especially one that is not cheap if you are a professional and go through the stuff like candy...

...quick detail spray dilution (8oz / gallon)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    Griot`s mostly, then FK425 or 3D Final Touch

I thought you used AI/VG Fast Finish for this :think:

Post Thanks / Like
    I have in past, but my supply ran out some time ago, and then I got the Griots. Im content with that, but it`s not like Ill never revisit FF again though. I`d have to go through what I have first.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Thread Information