Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have to try out GG Rubber Prep, I`ve been using Meg`s Super Degreaser for cleaning tires along with a stiff bristle brush. I feel like I go through a lot of product with this though (as it seems to "melt" off most of the old grime/dressing, it`s hard to not want to let the product do the work).

How do you guys use Rubber Prep, just wipe on with a grout sponge and wipe off with a sponge or rag?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t help but wonder whether a citrus-based product like TAW is all that good for rubber :think: Eh, I`m the guy who uses all sorts of "DON`T use *THAT* on rubber!!" products on it without any issues...but I still wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by DitchTehFish
    Is Griot`s Rubber Cleaner even less aggressive than P21S TAW?

Yes it is less aggressive, at least unless you dilute the TAW a lot (and you can dilute the Griot`s Rubber Cleaner too, so the point becomes moot IMO).

The Griot`s Rubber Cleaner is one *VERY* gentle product. I use it for minimal cleaning without even stripping the protectant I have on the tires. To really *clean* it needs a looong dwell time, multiple applications, and pretty aggressive scrubbing.

For most people it might well be too gentle. Sometimes it`s even too gentle for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoolinNoMore
    I may have to try out GG Rubber Prep...How do you guys use Rubber Prep, just wipe on with a grout sponge and wipe off with a sponge or rag?

Freaking MIRACLE product IME. Yeah, wipe on, agitate a bit, wipe off; repeat as needed. But I do kinda like to do some sort of rinsing before I apply my [whatever I`m applying].

Keep it off glass...I gather it messes up the "plastic" stuff that`s used to make today`s auto glass. Kinda makes it risky to use on mouldings/etc. around the windows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quasi-relevant to this discussion - Advanced Auto had "bone sponges" (grout sponges but a little bit bigger and denser than the ones I normally pick up from Lowe`s) for only $1.49. Easily able to cut these into thirds or quarters and they would serve as great dressing applicators or rubber prep applicators. Also, wasn`t Advanced Auto supposed to carry Griot`s products? Or is that somewhere else...

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [I can`t help but wonder whether a citrus-based product like TAW is all that good for rubber Eh, I`m the guy who uses all sorts of "DON`T use *THAT* on rubber!!" products on it without any issues...but I still wonder]

Limonene (d-limonene)

Due to its attractive odour, versatility and GRAS rating (Generally Recognized as Safe) from US FDA, Limonene can be used safely and effectively in a wide range of products for and infinite number of applications. (1-methyl-4-isopropenyl-1-cyclohexene) is a very versatile chemical which can be used in a wide variety of applications.

It is extremely safe and more effective than typical cleaning solutions. Their affinity for grease and oil combined with low or no toxicity make Limonene’s effective alternatives to petroleum-based and chlorinated solvents as it does not contain any harmful components (butyl, heptanes or xylene or hydrocarbon aliphatic solvents)

Limonene is the major component of the oil extracted from citrus rinds, as a straight solvent,
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    TOGWT- But does that "affinity for oils" possibly translate into some sort of detrimental effect on rubber? Eh, I`m starting to at myself since my general view is that all automotive stuff is tougher than people think, and that would include tires and other rubber bits.

If that Griot`s Rubber Prep I like so much is perfectly safe, then why is it so important to keep it off autoglass?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    TOGWT- But does that "affinity for oils" possibly translate into some sort of detrimental effect on rubber? Eh, I`m starting to at myself since my general view is that all automotive stuff is tougher than people think, and that would include tires and other rubber bits.

If that Griot`s Rubber Prep I like so much is perfectly safe, then why is it so important to keep it off autoglass?!?

Any rubber cleaner would have to eliminate oils to clean off the so-called road film.

Is Groit`s stating that it should be kept away from glass or that it may be harmful (can`t locate an MSDS) as some chemicals will cause streaking when mixed with glass cleaners
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    Is Groit`s stating that it should be kept away from glass or that it may be harmful (can`t locate an MSDS) as some chemicals will cause streaking when mixed with glass cleaners

This is from memory, but the label states something like "do not allow to come into contact with glass". My read on it was that it`d be downright damaging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding GG`s Rubber Prep, the MSDS sheet says that it contains the following chemicals: Aliphatic Hydrocarbon, Hexamethyldisiloxane, Octamethyltrisiloxane, Octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane. Perhaps Grumpy and TOGWT can tell us whether this qualifies or disqualifies Rubber Prep as a "safe" product for our tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are all polymer silicones (Siloxanes) which are used in products such as cosmetics, deodorants, water repelling windshield coating, lubricants and moulded lenses for LED’s.

These should not have a negative impact on tyres, perhaps there is something else in the formulation that could have a detrimental effect on automotive glass They must have a valid concern to issue a caution like that

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    ..They must have a valid concern to issue a caution like that

I`m sure not gonna experiment on any of mine to see whether the caveat is warranted or not :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, checked the label on my current bottle of Griot`s Rubber Prep and it did *NOT* have the caveat about contact with glass. Dunno if they changed it or my memory was faulty or what.... :nixweiss

Anyhow, I used it to clean the horribly weathered/worn/trashed exterior trim on my older Crown Vic, and it worked pretty well. I still kept it off the glass

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info and clarification. it didn`t seem likley but you never know what other chemicals they use

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I found the MSDS interesting, made it sound kinda like a cover up, something that might not play nice with products like Trim Sealants. Yet Rubber Prep followed by Ultima`s trim sealant is a good combo IME, lasts a very long time so it`s not like the Rubber Prep causes problems in that regard. And even when things need redone, it`s not like they revert to the original condition or anything like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Extremely good thread!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information