1. The one thing I learned (and still have that last 98% to learn, mind you) way back then still holds true today it`s the surface preparation that makes the difference, not the product

2. Proceed with this in mind; the products you use constitute a very small factor in the equation. Methodology and application technique constitute 95%; the reasoning behind the choice of quality products is to eliminate any limiting factors, thus enabling you to place emphasis on technique used. Fundamentally the most important thing about products is how they perform.

3. A paint film surface is a delicate thin coating, easily dulled and very easily scratched. Choose carefully any advice you listen to and more importantly act upon.

4. Try to learn from other people (see also #2 above) and keep an open mind on new ideas, new products and new techniques. It really does all come down to; 85% preparation, 5% product 7% application methodology and the balance is in the guy of the beholder.

5. Focusing on one person’s methodologies or the products or tools they use will seriously limit your detailing experience and knowledge. Most importantly - choose carefully whose advice you listen to, and more importantly what advice you act upon.

6. Detailing isn`t rocket science, but any aspects that aren`t intuitively obvious need to be researched and thoroughly thought out. There is no `one correct way` to apply a product; the way detailing products are customized, are what each individual finds give them their desired results, which may or may not be in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations..

7. Diagnosis is the key, not guess work; the most important thing to find out before you attempt to clean or care for something is to ascertain what the material is made from. Much the same is true if you’re trying to remove a stain, what caused the stain and what is the material you are trying to remove the stain from

8. Automotive OEM technology is becoming more and more complex requiring educated and skilled technicians to work on them. As the materials used are constantly changing we must maintain our knowledge base and utilize the correct products and application methodologies to keep up with emerging technologies.

9. Formulate a detailing plan, then utilize proper detailing techniques, combined with quality products is what makes a details outcome, successful. When in doubt always allow common sense to prevail.

10. The main priority is to ascertain the material you are trying to clean and then select a chemical that is compatible to clean it with Providing the cleaning product selected is suitable, apply product to an applicator not the area to be cleaned (the only exception to this is glass surface cleaning) apply several drops of the selected cleaning solution in an inconspicuous area and rub gently with a clean, white 100% cotton micro fibre towel. Do not over wet. Use small amounts of the product and blot frequently, do not rub or use too much pressure.

11. A manufacturer is free to place any claim of excellence he wants on his product to make it sell.

12. The aesthetics- of a vehicles appearance is usually based upon an emotional reaction and is very subjective to say the least, the only best wax or sealant that really matters is what looks `best` to you. In

13. After five decades of detailing vehicles what is left is experience, and experience unshared is knowledge wasted.

14. Of course the more I learn, the more I realize what I don`t know. Then at some point, I hope to have learned enough to realize, that I know nothing at all.

15. The aesthetics of a vehicles appearance is very subjective to say the least; only by trying different waxes or sealants on your vehicle will you be able to decide what looks best to you, as this is the only best wax or sealant that really matters.

16. Question everything; find out the `Why` as well as the `How`.

17. I would strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you. It is the individual’s responsibility to confirm the information supplied and apply it to their situation.

18. A detailer combines chemicals, equipment as well as a knowledge of `vehicle surfaces, chemicals, refers to the cleaning and protection products used, equipment, refers to the tools used, for example, random orbital polishers, high-speed rotary polishers, extractors and power washers, to name a few.

19. Vehicle surfaces, requires a basic understanding of chemistry and how to rejuvenate and protect each of the many and varied material surfaces, regardless of its specific surface composition making objectives observations based upon the results obtained, and adjusting the techniques used as necessary

20. Never stop learning (you`re never too old to learn something new or to try something you never tried before)