Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Ya know, to be honest I prefer RWD in the dry, though a more modern AWD system than I have, with more rear-bias, would probably be great.

Mine`s an `03 ( although it`s an A4) and yours are a `01 and `93, correct? I guess ours are fairly similar and so the most modern RWD are even more a blast to drive huh?
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron Ketcham- Ah, I was thinking it`d be something more transparent. If the AI/VG Rust Inhibitor is the same stuff I have it`s not the kind of stuff I`m after *for that particular application* (love it for other vehicles though).

Bill D.- Roger that on my Audi model-years.

My `93 V8Q has the old (original? I think so...) Quattro system that`s simply *incredible* in bad conditions (very, uhm..."mechanical"), but not quite as nice as the same Quattro setup in my VW Quantum Synchro with its various diff lock settings, now *that* was the [stuff] for winter driving! But none of my Quattros are all that "balanced" the way a good RWD car is. But hey, all my cars are mighty old-tech, and AWD systems have come an awfully long way since then; the recent ones I`ve driven seemed great, though I sure wasn`t beating on them the way I would on my own cars.

On the subject of snowtires and 4WD, I`ve done some interesting comparisons with vehicles that can be shifted from RWD to 4WD, comparing both modes with all-season and winter tires. I`d much rather have RWD with snows than 4WD with all-seasons. And I`ll never understand how people think AWD is so great in the winter without snowtires, I mean...gee, been-there-driven-that and it seems like a no-brainer to me :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not even sure what year it is! Think it may be a early 90`s, not even sure where the title is.

Took it in payment for something a couple of years ago, it`s Wrangler, soft top, rusted, rusted, rusted but runs good.

Last Feb when we had the 15 inches of snow in 4 or 5 hours, Houston and I fired it up and went bar hopping.

Coming home, up Main Street, even the plows were struggling, we made it through, but the snow kept blowing up on the belts and the lights would dim down for a second or so.

Darned old thing goes through about anything.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    I was once told by a mechanic, I think it`s with Wranglers, that the radiator drain cock is a royal PITA to get at. I think he said he had to reach through the grille with super long needle nose pliers to grip it.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    AWD/4WD does not subsitute for winter tires (says the guy with three Quattros and a 4WD truck).

Ditto on that! Reminds me of the time my wife and I picked up our new Audi S4 Quattro at a dealer out of town in Chicago. We arrived to drive the car home just as a snow storm hit. (Figures.) Not a block from the dealership we headed out and unceremoniously slid right through the first intersection. Luckily nobody was near us. Talk about nearly s***ting in my pants! Seems the fresh summer Michelins didn`t like the snow! LOL! Have had dedicated winter tires ever since.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup! At least on mine, I did a bunch of "get ready" on it when I got it, changed the AF and seems that I recall cussing out some of my friends at Chrysler Engineering.

Grumpy

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Huh, never heard of that one, sounds good. Thanks for mentioning it.

Protecting undercar aluminum bits is a challenge, and even very limited salt exposure can render them "never quite the same as new" no matter how well you try to bring them back.

Thought of you when I was sent this info... I`m going to try it next week-end...
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad B.- Heh heh, I bet that was a real eye-opener

Yeah, the S8 came with summer-only tires and they were pretty awful in cold temps even without any snow/etc. They`re very nice when I really push the car in warm weather, but I kinda disliked having to get a set of winter wheels/tires for the handful of times I take that car out in the cold, and I`m not too happy with the dry-road handling of those snowtires (I don`t drive it in actual snow very often, salt exposure and all that). For me, summer-only + snow-only is the wrong approach on that particular car.

TOGWT- I`m looking forward to your view of that stuff.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [ David B.- Heh heh, I bet that was a real eye-opener ]

That name got my attention
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    [ David B.- Heh heh, I bet that was a real eye-opener ]

That name got my attention

Oh sheesh...that was some slip-up, huh?!?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information