Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) - is readily available and like acetone, it dissolves a wide range of non-polar compounds. It is also relatively non-toxic and evaporates quickly. Thus it is used widely as a solvent and as a cleaning fluid

Mineral oil - can be used to clean heavier oil stains by diluting and liquefying the other oils, rendering the oils more accessible to detergents.

Likewise, it can be employed to de-gum, to remove adhesive residue left by adhesive tape. Be cognizant that while it can be used as a solvent cleaner it can leave a residue, which is undesirable for paint cleaning applications.

Denatured alcohol (or Methylated spirits) - is ethanol that has additives to make it more poisonous or unpalatable, and thus, undrinkable. Do not use denatured alcohol as a substitute for Isopropyl alcohol (IPA)

Distilled water

Potable water usually contains a number of microscopic contaminants (turbidity) along with dissolved minerals such as calcium and iron. Distilled water should ideally be nothing but hydrogen and oxygen molecules and virtually all of its impurities are removed through distillation, which involves boiling the water and re-condensing the steam into a clean container (pH 6.0 – 7.5)

Any dissolved solids such as salt, bacteria, calcium or iron remain solid while the pure water converts to a much lighter steam and is drawn out for condensation, leaving most if not all solid contaminants behind. Distilled water is preferred for dilution as it’s a ‘known’ quality, unlike domestic potable water

In larger chemical and biological laboratories, as well as industry, cheaper alternatives such as deionised water are preferred over distilled water.

Wipe down Application Process

Application - fill a fine misting spray bottle with a dilute solution of isopropyl alcohol (IPA) / distilled water Spray the surface you have just polished and allow the solution sit for approximately 15 seconds. If it flashes too quickly (hot surface or environment) use further dilution

Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and or other solvents will suspend waxes and silicones, and then re-deposit them, this can be avoided by adding 10% d-limonene (P21S Total Auto Wash) to the dilute IPA solution and wiping the surface with a clean, dry micro fibre towel. (TAW will provide surface lubrication to minimise surface marring on less dense (softer) paints)

Agitate the area with a clean panel wipe or a soft 100% cotton micro fibre towel (you may need to repeat this process) change the towel to a fresh quarter after each panel to ensure oil and debris are not re-deposited and observe. This should have removed any wax or oils that may have filled any remaining swirls and show the true post-polish surface condition.

If a diluted IPA solution doesn’t remove the surface oils perhaps a specific paint preparation product, i.e. CarPro Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser or DuPont PrepSol II™ may be more suitable

Now using your surface inspection light, shine the light directly on the panel and look for fine swirls. If they are still present, you should be able to see them. If not you will see a clear bright reflection from the panel with a great shine, and clarity

These fast acting solvent cleaners will not leave a film residue

• CarPro Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser

• DuPont PrepSol II™

• Menzerna Top Inspection

• Wurth Clean Solve

Mineral Spirits (White Spirit) are a petrochemical based product (Stoddard solvent) it also contains oils, so its use in a paint wipedown process is self-defeating as you’ll need to remove the oils from the surface

Notes:

1. For dense (hard) clear coat use a very light dilution rate, for less dense(soft)clear coats use a more diluted solution, as use too much alcohol will cause a micro fibre to offer more surface resistance and may cause surface marring.

2. After the paint surface has been subjected to a chemical cleaning its protective layer (s) have been removed and the paint surface left without protection, so it is very important that a wax or polymer protection be applied immediately.

Alternative products

• 3M™ Prep Solvent-70 (#08983) is a low VOC, water- based solvent used to remove oils, wax, grease, and silicone from surfaces prior to the application of a coating. Effectively cleans metal, primed metal and painted surfaces. Use with 3M™ Panel Wipes (#4567) the Panel Wipes have excellent absorbency and are super strength when wet or dry. They are easy to carry and are supplied in an easy to dispense box.

• CarPro Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser - is anti-static, isopropyl alcohol (IPA) based cleaner designed to dissolve oil particles and remove polish residue to inspect the surface after polishing or to prepare the paintwork for the application of a coating product. Its intense cleaner dissolves oils and it also attracts the dust left by compounding. When you wipe down your vehicle with Eraser, you’re removing oils, fillers, and dust completely. Enabling a coating to form a stronger bond and create an even, long-lasting shine with a more durable protection.

• DuPont PrepSol II™ - http://www.xurex.com/products.html) spray onto a 100% cotton or a micro fibre towel and clean the surface

• Groit’s Paint Prep - to remove wax, silicone polymers and oil from painted surfaces so products can properly bond to the surface. Paint Prep is easy to use and is safe for vinyl and rubber (not for use on glass)

• Hi-Temp`s H-23 Prep Wash - to prepare a paint surface for polishing, compounding, wax and / or polymer sealant application (especially if changing from a wax to a polymer product) this is a water-based paint cleaner designed to remove all traces of silicone, oil, and buffing residue from any exterior paint surface

• Menzerna Top Inspection (PP95) – use to inspect your work, use this water-based cleaner that removes dust left by compounding and any lubricating oils so you can see the real results of your work. There are no silicones or fillers, just cleaning agents to uncover the real condition of your vehicle’s paint

• Optimum Power Clean - Optimum Power Clean™ is an environmentally friendly, all surface-safe cleaner, used for paint dilute it 2:1

• Wurth Clean Solve - is a fast acting cleaner and solvent that will not leave a film residue. It will quickly remove wax, tar, gum, grease, paint overspray, adhesive, oil, and silicone. It can be used on a variety of surfaces including: base coat, clear coat, aluminium, fibreglass, glass, fabrics and vinyl.

[Edit: General updates / Revisions - 07.16.12]
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    [COLOR="#0000CD"]

• CarPro Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser

• DuPont PrepSol II™

• Menzerna Top Inspection

• Rohm and Haas Acrysol

• Wurth Clean Solve

I thought products like PrepSol were inteneded for use prior to painting and weren`t that clear coat safe? Maybe that was pre VOC?

BTW your post needs updating ... bad link in it .
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    The solvents I endorsed are all considered `paint safe`, otherwise it would not imake sense for me to include them
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    The solvents I endorsed are all considered `paint safe`, otherwise it would not imake sense for me to include them

Which Rhom & Haas product .. there seems to be a few ( a lot ) under the Acrysol section ...
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    IPA is for zits, not paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    [A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something] - Plato

I`ve just realized who `superchat` is... makes the above quote more than relevant :0

Post Thanks / Like
    Regulars here know that I`m a huge fan of the TOL/Hi-Temp PrepWash H-23. Note that it`s a lot better now in its current green version compared to the pinkish-orange stuff they used to sell.

While it`s supposedly a WOWO product, I prefer to do a cursory rinse with a spritz of distilled water.

It`s a very "clean" product, moreso than stuff like the TAW.

And yeah, Wurth Clean Solve has sorta become my favorite solvent for use on paint, though AutoInt/ValuGard`s New Car Prep is awfully good too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Regulars here know that I`m a huge fan of the TOL/Hi-Temp PrepWash H-23. Note that it`s a lot better now in its current green version compared to the pinkish-orange stuff they used to sell.

It`s green and smells like rotten grapefruit, correct?

It`s also called Akrya Klean? Or is that something different altogether?

Silicone & Wax Remover
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill D.- Yeah, that`s the stuff. Seems it has a few different names now :think: :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m surprised I waited so long to add it as a permanent staple in my arsenal. I`m very satisfied with it.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    What would be your top three picks of all the products you recommended? Great information btw, appreciate the time & energy it took to put that piece together. Again my thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The ValuGard New Car Prep is very safe, it is beyond what is listed.

It is private labeled for a few vehicle manufacturers, and sold under their brand name, as well under the ValuGard brand label.

Yes, I worked for Automotive International for over 13 years, makers of the ValuGard brand, and am very proud to have been part of finding the chemical components that allow such a safe and non-damaging product can be produced.

When one reads the "caution label" of most such products, they contain warning such as "flammable" or "combustible", while the New Car Prep does not require such a warning, yet it is a hydrocarbon based solvent sytem.

This is due to the blend of solvents(the main one is produced by only two refiners and is in limited supply).

The product, as mentioned is private labeled for some vehicle manufacturers, and their World Wide Health and Safety labs and engineers had a bit of problem understanding how this could be possible, until the entire formula was submitted to them and then they understood.

The product is not only non-flammable and non-combustible, but is also 50 state VOC complaint, which most listed are not compliant.

It is also "non-carcenigenic", as it contains no clorinated or such solvent percentate in it`s composistion.

Just a heads up for all.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    How does it clean so well if I can`t set it on fire or get kicked out of California for using it?

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a "trade secret", however a company that produces, works with, 9 of the largest vehicle manufactuers in the world, producing products for them, can not lie about what is in a product, or fails to meet their lab`s testing, etc.

Each and every product that carries their name and label opens them to legal actions if not right on the money.

When in that posistion, it is not about "whiz-bang" marketing and fancy labels, etc.

Individuals may not always read labels, or directions, however, the companies such a Ford, Chrysler, etc that market them under their brand labels, must be absolutely posistive that a product is one that meets all their specifications and their paint/interior, etc suppliers.

Lot of money at stake, legal stuff, lawsuits, etc.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious, what about using another diluted paint safe APC like Adams All Purpose Cleaner? Or,

why not use PS21S Auto Wash diluted? Will that not remove the residue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information