Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I`ve been using Dawn exclusively on my car for nearly 20 months and have had zero issues with my paint or trim. Keep in mind that I live in Florida and the car is not garaged. I also leave the heavy concentration on my paint to bake in the sun for extended periods of time as it is mitigates water spots. I seriously doubt Dawn can damage paint or attack the plasticizers in stable exterior trim. There has been countless speculation and wivestales about this damage with zero proof to document the arguement. If someone can show my one iota of proof I and the rest of the detailing world would appreciate it.

Going on what chemicals are contained in their product and their reaction with various surfaces is what my hypothesis is based upon. The mfg Proctor and Gamble also refute its use for car washing.

This in no way refutes what you are experiencing, occasionally real world experience can baffle scientific logic

With detailing products and methodologies there are a multitude of variables, what works for one person in one set of circumstances may not work for someone else, even under similar conditions? People seek out definitive answers, however sometimes the answer is far more complicated and a definitive answer just isn’t possible
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well put Jon.

This subject has been footballed to death.

Some people have used it to create opportunities to sell their carwash soap(you all know who is one of the worst for that), by using the old "create doubt and fear" in a person`s mind and then sell them your fear calming solution.

Dawn is not going to destroy a clearcoat, it is not going to cause any major problems, other than it is a bit chemically agressive to some waxes, etc, but not to the point of moving the earth out of it`s orbit.

As we are both aware, there are those who gain a little bit of information on a subject and the next thing---they think they are Enstien.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Now how about this: if washing to remove wax, what would be better, damn or simple green?

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like
    The Simple Green will be more effective to remove wax, etc.

However, depending on "which" product of Simple Green, you may wish to watch out for discoloring of some trim.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    A ‘safer’ alternative Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner - http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_prod_ext_mor.php
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish a company would come out with a soap that can quickly, safely and effectively strip wax/sealants from your finish. One of the biggest things I love about Dawn is I can and do literally leave it on the paint even in the hot sun mind you) and let it dry when prepping a car for protection (post polishing). I`ve experienced spotting while soaping (any soap) sections at a time and then rinsing. I can let Dawn sit on the entire car and know it will not induce the chance for water spotting. And the longer it sits, the more it gets the chance to dissolve the surface oils. And when final rinsing, the water sheets rather nicely again minimizing the chances for spotting.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish a company would come out with a soap that can quickly, safely and effectively strip wax/sealants from your finish..

What about stuff like "A" and FK1119? They don`t have the lubricity I like, but they`re in the "super shampoo" category.

Last time I wanted to do this I just washed normally, rinsed, then sprayed on TOL`s PrepWash and let it dwell for a while as I washed subsequent panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using Dupont`s Prep-Sol 3919S since the 70`s and it is the first and last product I need to remove wax, sealant, silicone, tar, road film and adhesives. It is non abrasive, easy on the paint and very effective. Dupont also make a pre-paint cleaner called Final Klean which I`ve used occasionally but I like the longer dwell time of Prep-Sol.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is one of the things that A was formulated to do, remove waxes and sealants so the paint`s pores can be gotten to in order to take care of the acids down in them

However, we found that when the ValuGard Paint Sealant was properly applied, it was a good idea to first clean it with the safe New Car Prep to break the sealant, that allowed the A to work.

I am NOT a fan of apply any hydrocarbon based "wax/adhesive`etc" remover to a cars finish unless it is to prepare it for refinishing/painting, due to the xylene in them.

New Car Prep DOES NOT contain any clorinated solvents, is even safe on fabrics, just need to follow up with an all purpose in that case to remove the residue and odor of the New Car Prep.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    What about stuff like "A" and FK1119? They don`t have the lubricity I like, but they`re in the "super shampoo" category.

I`ve always been under the impression that "A" (or FK1119)shouldn`t be left to dry on the vehicle, especially in the hot sun?

Ron (or anyone) - can you confirm that?

I will admit that Dawn has a tendancy to make the finish feel tacky/grabby to the point it can make spreading of protectant over it a task. when possible, I will QD prior to add some pre-slickness to the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always been under the impression that "A" (or FK1119)shouldn`t be left to dry on the vehicle, especially in the hot sun?

Ron (or anyone) - can you confirm that?

Oh, yeah...I wasn`t putting adequate emphasis on being sun-friendly.

I will admit that Dawn has a tendancy to make the finish feel tacky/grabby to the point it can make spreading of protectant over it a task..

Wonder if it`s water-related :think: Ben has mentioned Dawn not leaving things "clean" in that sense, but it`s never been an issue for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Neither of the two products should be allowed to dry on the paint surface.

Of course, anyone who takes the time to read and follow the directions for either`s use, know that.

When your Dawn dries on the surface, it is leaving sodium, glycerin, etc which is why it feels sticky.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, that makes sence. I`ve always used the ABC decon system as a complete treatment and usually indoors out of sun so product dry times weren`t as much of an issue like they are lately. We mainly used them on warranty claims at the dealer level seeing that they specifically called for their use.

This sodium/glycerin that`s left of the surface....what (besides eliminating the use of Dawn) can be done to avoid it being deposited and removed if it is? Also, when these are left on the surface, can/willl they interfere with any sealant bonding?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dish washing detergents usually contain a sheeting agent (Alcohol alkoxylate or sodium) or other additive to avoid water spotting; along with emollients or moisturizers; these work by forming a thin protective coating on the surface of the dishes or glassware and also to protect the skin to prevent any loss of moisture, this will leave a film on the paint surface, which may negatively affect .product cross-linking / bonding and the emollients will also negatively affect the surface reflectivity (Gloss) Dawn specifically uses Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol) as its main cleaning agent

Post Thanks / Like
    David, I believe Jon`s response did a great job of answering your question.

Grumpy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information