Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad it was two days later, at least speaking for myself, I wouldn`t have had an appetite that same day after that.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Bill, a few years back, Tim Brune (Tech Director for Valugard/AI) found a special pad that does not mar the finish and is very useful to work the B product, releasing the ferrous particles without the use of clay.

These pads look like a "scuff" pad, but are not like a 3M scuff pad, they do not scuff.

It is referred to as an "insect pad" by the company, and very, very good for removing insect deposits after minor soaking of the deposits.

These pads may be used over and over and over, so quite a cost saving, plus if one drops it on the ground, they wash out.

Grumpy

We used to use these bug sponge/bricks when doing a heavy OE warranty ABC decon washes. Created excellent aggitation to loosen the particles and aid in a deeper cleaning.

You can also use them with water based compounds and APCs too. (in non-decon applications)
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I need to look into those sponges, looks like a great idea with decon systems.

Great to see you sharing information on here again RK

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the welcome Accumulator (30k posts of amazing info...inspirational )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    We used to use these bug sponge/bricks when doing a heavy OE warranty ABC decon washes. Created excellent aggitation to loosen the particles and aid in a deeper cleaning.

You can also use them with water based compounds and APCs too. (in non-decon applications)

If those are the same as my "Pinnacle"-branded bug sponges, there`s no way I`d touch paint with them unless I were planning on a major correction. I do use `em on windshields though, and sometimes for scrubbing certain wheels.

But hey, you know how I am about instilling marring; I`m also still leery of those AI/VG bug pads even *with* Ron`s assurances that they`re OK!

Post Thanks / Like
    All those yellow brick sponges are the same. I guess it boils down to the application and what you`re doing and for who. Dealers/OEM usually only pay for the removal of the contaminants, unless surface leveling is required. Keep in mind that you`re doing a good pre-ABC wash and the dirt is removed from the surface which dramatically makes the sponge less damaging. Any marring that is visable only requires super light polishing to remove.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    The ValuGard Insect Pad is not even close to that sponge.

The insect pad is a white, soft, pliable, thin and will not scar the surface.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    The material seems very interesting. By looks alone from the photo, it appears to be similar to the material a Swiffer duster cloth is made of, but different

Popup Window 957563
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t know.

They come from a fellow down in North Carolina, sent Tim a few samples several years back.

We tested them first as a bug removal pad as that what the guy said they were good for.

Very impressed with how they worked but did not consider them for using with the B product for a couple of years.

One day, Tim tried them with the B and "wow", what a useful pad for working the B and speeding up the process.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    The acids in the Iron-X will not be good for the clay, try the ValuGard Insect Pad instead.

Save your self a lot of money and it lasts for car after car.

Grumpy

That`s true of all decontamination systems (inc the pH corrected products (IronX, Sonax, Wolf,and etc)) That`s the main reason for interest in an open cell sponge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information