Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BLACKFIRE Bug & Tar Eliminator Sponge

is this a product to replace a claybar or nanoskin mitt? or in addition? is this easier than claying for big stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

Suppose I`ll she`d some light on this. It was invented by Car Brite back in the 80`s. Its called a Do-All scrubber. Since then it`s been rebranded under multiple different companies. I`ve been using one for over 20 years. I grew up next door to the family that invented Car Brite products. You`d be amazed at some of the stuff they invented decades ago that is now the norm in this business. The inventors grandson is still my best friend. Sad because they get a bad name with a lot of "pros" even though they have many products that blow bigger named companies out of the water, and are much cheaper. Like Megs hyper dressing. It`s a copy of Car Brite Hypershine, only it`s nearly twice as expensive. I buy 5 gallon jugs of Hypershine for $48, and it`s the most glossy and most durable dressing you can buy in bulk.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of these I keep for a road trip. I keep it wet in a plastic bag when I get to where Iam going I get it out wipe of bugs then use MF cloth to clean up residue.

At home I use this in conjunction with Griots Bug and smudge cleaner then wipe or hose off.
    There’s a place in the brain for knowing what cannot be remembered.
    Likes mnehls86 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mnewxcv View Post
    is this a product to replace a claybar or nanoskin mitt? or in addition? is this easier than claying for big stuff?
    This would not be a replacement to clay. Though clay can remove bugs and tar this sponge is way more effective for heavily bug and tar soiled areas but does not remove other bonded contaminants that clay does.

Post Thanks / Like

Do the bug sponges everyone`s using pass the CD-test? (Yeah, I mean after soaking/etc.) You folks are using those things without marring paint at all? Well, gee "duh!" I guess, but still....

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely ever have to use mine but I haven`t noticed any marring. After cutting in half my one half of the bug sponge gets most of its use as an on the fly MF Pad cleaner, If you want a couple close ups Todd did that too. Is the Pinnacle Bug Sponge really safe for your paint? (Review and Pics inside)

Post Thanks / Like

I`m sure *NOT* doubting Todd`s word on it, but I can`t tell from the pics. Mine didn`t pass the CD-test.

Post Thanks / Like

as long as you keep it wet it will not do any harm to the paint at all. if you soak it in the wash bucket while you are washing, then use it at the end, that is the best idea. the longer it soaks, and the warmer the water its soaking in, the softer it feels. I`ve tried every bug scrubber there is and I always come back to the Do-All pad. and to those wondering about it being a clay alternative, it is nothing like that. this is nothing like clay and will not remove surface contaminates like clay does. it simply scrubs off bugs and the things that build up on the lower parts of the car especially in right behind the tires. I also use it a lot to scrub Iron-X after it has been dwelling on the paint for a bit. and tar removal is another option, after soaking with remover for a bit. lots of uses for this cool $2 item. I haven`t been without one for 20 years now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`m sure *NOT* doubting Todd`s word on it, but I can`t tell from the pics. Mine didn`t pass the CD-test.
    I`m definitely not as worried about it as you are. You will obviously need to polish one of your cars at some point. Why not give it a try before a polish job and really find out for yourself? Hardly anything passes the cd test.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mnehls86 View Post
    I`m definitely not as worried about it as you are. You will obviously need to polish one of your cars at some point. Why not give it a try before a polish job and really find out for yourself? Hardly anything passes the cd test.
    Eh, whatever approach works for people is cool with me and I know I can sound nutty on this topic, but (noting that I`m an absolute fanatic about marring and I inspect rigorously) I don`t polish for years and years...haven`t done a full-vehicle correction for I don`t know how long. *Nothing* that fails the CD-test touches my paint, nothing.

Heh heh, if I get one slight instance of marring (especially wash-induced!) on one of our vehicles over the course of a year (or longer) I`m sorely disappointed. Fortunately, my wife and my mechanics are on-board which helps immensely.

Post Thanks / Like

I kinda go by the "Garry Dean" methodology in regards to marring...I will do everything in my power to avoid any marring, but I also won`t spend all day on just a maintenance wash. I hate wash induced marring and am OCD about so many things...ZERO weeds in my yard, crazy clean house, crazy clean duty firearms, etc. These things take way more time than they should as it is. I`ve had to prioritize things in life. Just not enough time in the day to go "overboard OCD." That`s why a coating is a must for me. I believe it protects the paint way better than a sealant/wax. Just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

On a side note...I mainly use the BHB/Foam Gun combo with an IUDJ Rinseless wash during the drying process.

On a side note, check out my old `52 Split that Todd Helme detailed for me...

Larry David Larry Eats a Pancake - Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee by Jerry Seinfeld
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

52split- Yes indeed, we all gotta prioritize! Keeping that EDC crazy clean is more important that some paint marring

With that BHB/foamgun/IUDJ I doubt you`ll have much wash-induced marring anyhow.

As for "spending all day on a maintenance wash", I`m getting some of the vehicles done in under five hours these days Heh heh, seriously...that`s progress!
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information