Post Thanks / Like

Wax removal from plastic trim?

I applied Collinite a few months back and got some on the plastic trim. Seems to be getting whiter as time goes on. I`ve tried washing, scrubbing, dressing, and even a white pencil eraser recommended by others. I guess there`s still peanut butter left to try.
    What has worked for some of you guys?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax removal from plastic trim?

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks tul9033 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the time ive found that a tire cleaner like tuf shine along with a nylon brush will take care of it pretty easily. There are some instances where that doesnt work however id say i have maybe a 90% success rate using it for that purpose
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Thanks tul9033 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

tul9033- If it`s been on there for a while it might be challenging to get off, but I guess you already know that!

I`d get a dedicated Wax Removal Product like the BF one that The Guz recommended. I have the one from Griot`s and also some older stuff called..uhm, gee I forget...GR8 or something like that. I haven`t tried the Griot`s one (have it "just in case") and the other was so-so when I tried it on pieces a previous owner had gotten product on (I ended up replacing those parts as they`d never really look right, hope yours aren`t that far gone).

The Peanut Butter thing just adds some oils for a temporary masking effect. Not that I`d want to smear food on my vehicles anyhow...

Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering if any Autopians have used McKee`s 37 Wax Remover, which I assume, is "similar" to the Black Fire Wax Remover in the link listed above.

Some older-vintage (pre-VOC legislation) waxes may contain solvents that stain softer plastic vinyl trim, like mid door trim used to protect against door dings.
    I have also seen asphalt tar on lower panel plastic that will "stain" this trim because of the solvents.

One method I use for getting long-dried wax out of textured plastic trim is to use a stiff-bristled old tooth brush and Meg`s D101 APC diluted 3:1 or Optimum`s Power Clean diluted 3:1 (water to product) and some "gentile-vigorous" brushing. If that did not remove it, well, I left it alone rather than making it worse by abrading and scratching such trim pieces. DON"T MAKE THE MISTAKE of using a wire brush or Mr. Clean`s Scrubbing Pads for a brushing or scrubbing media, respectively. They just do not work well on soft textured plastic without risk of scratching such trim. I know it sounds "common sense", but as humorist Will Rogers once said "I guess common sense ain`t so common after all."

Which leads to another thought on plastic trim pieces on whether you should clean and dress them before you tape them for machine correction and polishing, in which case the painter`s tape does not stick all that well. Some detailers do this and then avoid the taping process all together and state they do a "careful" motion with said machine buffer as they correct and polish (RIIIIIGHT!!) to avoid damaging such trim and if compound or polish gets on such trim pieces, clean-up is easier. I would think that taping first of such trim and then leaving that on through the correction , polishing, and waxing (whether by hand or with a machine) steps would be a more logical (AKA, common sense) process, but some individuals do not like taping off such trim pieces because of the cost, time, and effort it takes. That might be true of those detsailers who use a Porter-Cable Dual-Action (PC-DA) with its diminutive power and "short" 8mm stroke, but those who use a Long-Throw Dual-Action (LT-DA) or rotary know how much damage such machines can inflict on soft plastic trim and brushed metal trim. It is ugly and easy to spot on such vehicles when it is done. Rookie (notice I did not imply "Stupid". We do not say "Stupid" in this forum, even if it is!) mistake not to tape off such trim pieces. Penny wise and pound foolish?? You be the judge. Yes, there is the "problem" of the tape adhesive sticking to the trim, especially if it the ambient temperature is hot , which will happen if you are a mobile detailer working outside on such a summer`s day in a client`s driveway. Adhesive I can remove. Trim scuff marks are not so easy to "cover up".
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Apply more of the same product to the area that`s affected. When doing so apply pressure in a back and forth or circular motion. Before the product has a chance to dry wipe clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m too leery of marring to touch my vehicles with plastic-bristle toothbrushes. Touch the paint with *ONE* bristle and you`re talking a few microns worth of clear that`ll have to come off. No way I`d trust myself to never let the brush stray from the trim I was scrubbing, just too risky (at least for me).

When I do any significant correction near trim, I tape it off. Then I remove the tape before doing the next step, retaping if I think that`s called for. Yeah, I can tape/remove/retape many times during the course of a full correction, but with some mistakes being Forever (can`t put clear back on for practical purposes) it`s worth it *for me*.

BTW, I find that my masking tapes stick to UTTG+ just fine, but I`m taping on it long after it`s dried/cured/whatever it does.

Post Thanks / Like

Since we are talking about exterior trim, what do you do to preserve older decals and appliques? Chrysler used a lot of "matte" black decals and appliques (striping) on their late 60`s and early 70`s muscle cars and still do today on their current retro-designs muscle cars.
    I know Dr.Beasley makes some products for matte black, but not sure if that applies to vinyl decals.

My toughest problem was trying to make faded simulated wood grain appliques on a `68 Ford LTD Country Squire Station wagon (remember those family haulers?) look decent. My solution as a kid? Brown paste shoe wax! Worked somewhat until the next car wash.
    GB detailer

Thread Information