Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big blue drying towel deal.

It`s a mileage may vary thing. The microfiber madness were the rage for quite some time. The rag company and microfiber tech have had some popularity, most companies poorboys, mothers, meguiars, etc say there drying towel is the best and or there favorite. Now there is the Gyeon silk, the Griots PFM and the big blue that are in the spot light.

This is a hobby, passion, profession of changing flavor of the months.

If you have the $ in the budget surely you won`t be disappointed in the PFM. I haven`t seen any negative about performance on one yet. Others even the big blue yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    Have you tried the GG PFM towels?
    NO. I won`t buy them until a) I need new Drying Towels and b) I`m convinced I`ll like the PFM better than what I`m currently using (DMC from MF Madness). Heh heh, no rush to the Shiny New Thing here, I`ve uhm...accumulated... enough stuff for the time being

Sooner or later my DMCs will quit soaking up water and merely push it around (as *every* MF eventually does IME) and at that time I`ll see what sounds best, but I don`t expect that to happen for quite a while. My WWMFs lasted for *years* (a few still work fine) and I expect the DMCs to last even longer.

Does a waffle weave out absorb a towel with fibers (fluffy) or the other way around?
    While the best answer is some variation on "oh, it all depends and YMMV" and would include all sorts of qualifiers like "generally" etc. etc. etc. ....IME the Plush MF Drying towels are at least as good as the WW and *IMO* are generally better but more prone to linting.

Eh, unless there`s an overall preference a *high-quality" MF Drying Towel of either type will do the job just fine and you can just go by personal preference.

FWIW, I prefer plush ones as they get into tight spots better, offer some additional cushioning, and provide more opportunities for contamination to get "trapped in the nap away from the paint" (scare-quotes intentional as I don`t expect miracles). But I use WW on glass.
    Likes mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    NO. I won`t buy them until a) I need new Drying Towels and b) I`m convinced I`ll like the PFM better than what I`m currently using (DMC from MF Madness). Heh heh, no rush to the Shiny New Thing here, I`ve uhm...accumulated... enough stuff for the time being Sooner or later my DMCs will quit soaking up water and merely push it around (as *every* MF eventually does IME) and at that time I`ll see what sounds best, but I don`t expect that to happen for quite a while. My WWMFs lasted for *years* (a few still work fine) and I expect the DMCs to last even longer.While the best answer is some variation on "oh, it all depends and YMMV" and would include all sorts of qualifiers like "generally" etc. etc. etc. ....IME the Plush MF Drying towels are at least as good as the WW and *IMO* are generally better but more prone to linting. Eh, unless there`s an overall preference a *high-quality" MF Drying Towel of either type will do the job just fine and you can just go by personal preference. FWIW, I prefer plush ones as they get into tight spots better, offer some additional cushioning, and provide more opportunities for contamination to get "trapped in the nap away from the paint" (scare-quotes intentional as I don`t expect miracles). But I use WW on glass.
    So you are pretty much saying that both towel are close to being equal in absorbing water and it comes down to personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like

Personal Preference : ​YES.

I generally prime any dry MF with the one exception that if I`m drying a large wet panel, it should be primed by the time I`m done ~pressing down~ across the towel. With that said, I would not hesitate using a SPLIT MF like the Big Blue on a hood, unprimed.

With the PFM, to me, it`s about 2 notches not as soft to me when dry. This just may very well be just receptive feedback due to it`s looped ends.
    Anyhow, I would def treat it like a WW , and wipe all the windows, etc and get both sides of the towel wet before I took it to paint.

Technically, the more dense the MF, the more it will absorb. That`s just the obvious. The Big Blue or even the MFM DMC are both 1100 GSM towels that last time I looked at specs. The GG PFM Drying towel is 880GSM (I may be wrong on this spec).

To even further extrapolate, a 1100 GSM towel or a 880 towel are just two 500 or 400+ GSM towels stitched together.....
    You can even use a 375GSM towel and be okay drying.
    At the end of the day, it really is personal preference....
    Likes mikejames, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for answering my questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    So you are pretty much saying that both towel are close to being equal in absorbing water and it comes down to personal preference.
    One thing I will say is that I have to press/etc. harder with a WW than I do with a plush one. That does matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics
    ... With the PFM, to me, it`s about 2 notches not as soft to me when dry. This just may very well be just receptive feedback due to it`s looped ends.
    That`s the sort of comment that makes me a little leery of them.

Anyhow, I would def treat it like a WW , and wipe all the windows, etc and get both sides of the towel wet before I took it to paint...
    I gather I`m in the vast minority on this (maybe a minority of one!) but I don`t like it when I have to prime my Drying Towels by getting them damp. A *little* bit damp is OK for me (a very little), but that`s just not what I prefer and I`ve had too many MFs (of both types) leave a *tiny* bit of water behind once they`re a little *too* damp. Yeah, I can use a lot of towels to dry the bigger vehicles, even after blowing off most of the water.

And yeah, I too consider the whole GSM thing a bit overblown when it comes to Drying Towels (and some other applications too). But then with the way I dry I have no concerns about wringing it out or how much water it`ll hold. Some lighter weight towels suit me just fine, for all sorts of things.
    Thanks carnage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have some Big Blues`s I`ve been trying. PFM`s have been my favorites and I tried some Wolley Mammoths.
    So far the PFM`s are still my favorite vs the other two.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information