Post Thanks / Like

Anyone try disposable MF towels?

I know it sounds wasteful but with the drought and all I`m doing solely rinseless and waterless washes now. While I can get my wheels pretty clean using MF towels, doing so completely trashes them and I end up using a lot of water washing them. Then I saw these disposable MF towels. Apparently made of 80/20 MF just real thin: Disposable Microfiber Cloths Wholesale | Microfiber Cleaning Cloths
    Anyone ever try these? Can they effectively clean like a real MF towel and be safe enough for wheels? Honestly I could care less about micro marring on my wheels when they`re covered in brake dust most of the time anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone try disposable MF towels?

I would just pick up some micros at BJ`s Costco Home Depot etc. and use those as throwaways

They are much less than a dollar a piece and work great for areas like door jambs, engine bay, tires, etc

Quality micros have their place for paint but we always suggest using throw a ways for those dirty areas

Post Thanks / Like

Sams or Costco micro is my throw away
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I do use Costco towels but it seems like a waste to throw those away because they`re real towels. The price comes out to almost the same as the disposables actually...

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, no disposable MFs for me, thanks. Though I do use my worn-out household MFs that way (detailing applicatons include for tires and buffing the AutoGlym BumperCare off the Tahoe`s running boards).

I @$$ume those disposable MFs pass the CD-test, right?

Guess it`d be different for Pros, but other than the tires/running boards I don`t have any areas where I`d have a use for such a product; if the surface is too delicate for cotton then it`s also too nice for iffy MFs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I @$$ume those disposable MFs pass the CD-test, right?
    Could you elaborate on the CD-test?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShakingHorizons View Post
    Find a new CD (if you can) and buff with a towel. If it doesn`t mar the CD it`s paint safe.
    Thanks ShakingHorizons thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

those blue and yellow Costco MF are really good guys. you can`t knock them if you`re working on regular daily drivers, family vans, boats, etc. if you`re working on Lambos then of course you need the absolute best, but for 50 cents each those Costco MF are not only very soft when new, but they also can be washed many times before losing that softness. if i had to guess, i would say I`ve probably purchased 300 of the 24 packs over the years. we literally have 5 giant trash bags full of them waiting to go to laundry. i love them, couldnt do what we do without them. just start them as wax towels, then interior, then dressing, then trash.

Post Thanks / Like

pheerix- Yep! I`ll elaborate just a little as some people can miss certain little factors:

Quote Originally Posted by ShakingHorizons View Post
    The CD-test is a way to test the marring potential of something that`s gonna touch your paint. The data side of a CD *ROUGHLY* approximates autopaint with regard to hardness/marring-resistance (operative work "roughly" but it`s generally close enough to be like "average clearcoat).

Rub the data side of a CD with the MF and inspect under good lighting (and I use magnification) to see if the MF is soft enough to *NOT* cause scratches. If you do see scratches from it I wouldn`t touch the paint with that MF.

I also test was media that way- soak the mitt/Boar`s Hair Brush/whatever in shampoo mix for a while, wet the CD (I just dunk it in the wash bucket), and then "wash the CD" as if it were a car`s paint (use your normal pressure, etc.). Rinse, inspect.

Thread Information