Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve never used a machine buffer before, so I’m a little confused by the Sonüs DAS FlexPlate. What is it, and why do I need it (foam, wool pads)? Can I use the UDM without one?

Right now I have the DAS bundle pack, and will be using the Ultima PP+ and PGP.

If I want to remove heavier oxidation and scratches when using the PP+, can I use the white SB pad then go straight to applying the PGP, or do I need to finish with green polishing pad? How does Ultima PP+ w/ScratchBuster pad compare to a real polish? Can PP+/SB be used all over car, or should it only be used to spot treat large scratches?

What speed should I use for each pad? How do I know when I`ve worked in the PP+ enough? And what`s the best method for cleaning my pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    FlexPlate is our name for the UDM Velcro backing plate. It was originally part of out Sonus line. We have transitioned all DAS (Dual-Action System) products to the UDM line.

Note: I do not recommend wool pads with a dual-action machine. Foam pads are better for compounding on a DA machine.

The DAS ScratchBuster pad and Ultima PP+ combination will remove mmoderate swirl marks and fine scratches. Apply at speed 5+ with the UDM with firm pressure. If you car is black you may need a final buff with the DAS Polishing Pad (green). I find this rare, but it depends on the paint.

Work PP+ until a very thin film is remaining. Do not buff dry. If you find it dufficult to buff off, you`re using too much polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    FlexPlate is our name for the UDM Velcro backing plate. It was originally part of out Sonus line. We have transitioned all DAS (Dual-Action System) products to the UDM line.

Note: I do not recommend wool pads with a dual-action machine. Foam pads are better for compounding on a DA machine.

The DAS ScratchBuster pad and Ultima PP+ combination will remove mmoderate swirl marks and fine scratches. Apply at speed 5+ with the UDM with firm pressure. If you car is black you may need a final buff with the DAS Polishing Pad (green). I find this rare, but it depends on the paint.

Work PP+ until a very thin film is remaining. Do not buff dry. If you find it dufficult to buff off, you`re using too much polish.

Thanks David.

So when would I use the FlexPlate? I don`t understand it`s purpose. Can I use the DAS pads without it, or does it simply make them easier to use?

And wool pads are a no-no on the UDm, good to know.

To remove the PP+, should I use a MF towel or can I use the white MF buffing bonnet that`s included with the DAS bundle?

Post Thanks / Like
    The flexplate is needed to attach the pads, it is a Velcro hook and loop system and the only way to attach the pads.

As far as removing the product, you can use either a microfiber or the bonnet.

Lynn
    Lynn Matthews
    The Car Girl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Phillips
    The flexplate is needed to attach the pads, it is a Velcro hook and loop system and the only way to attach the pads.

As far as removing the product, you can use either a microfiber or the bonnet.

Lynn

Thanks for the quick response, I guess I won`t be doing any detailing tomorrow Is there any reason why it isn`t included with the UDM if it`s necessary? Because people already have one?

Post Thanks / Like
    There should be a backing plate already attached to the machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phamkl
    There should be a backing plate already attached to the machine.

Ok, now I`m confused. Do I attach the flexplate to the backing plate, then attach the pads?

How do other pads perform on the UDM, such as the SFX pads? Are they the correct size?

Post Thanks / Like
    The FlexPlate is the backing plate. See picture below.

In addition to the new Ultimate Detailing Machine DAS pads, I have thoroughly tested the Sonus SFX pads line and the Meguiar`s SOFTBUFF 6.5" pad line with the UDM. They all work well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s good news. I really like my Meguiar`s Softbuff polishing pads. I was hoping that they wouldn`t fail from the added torque.

Post Thanks / Like
    The FlexPlate is the backing plate. See picture below.

:thx

Thank you once again David. So all I need to get going with the UDM (excluding pads) is included with the package? Is there a reason why you sell the FlexPlate seperately?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 95maxrider
    :thx

Thank you once again David. So all I need to get going with the UDM (excluding pads) is included with the package? Is there a reason why you sell the FlexPlate seperately?

Sure... every once in a while a gorilla gets a hold of a UDM or PC and manages to break the backing plate. :waxing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure... every once in a while a gorilla gets a hold of a UDM or PC and manages to break the backing plate. :waxing:
    Leave me out of this. Ive fried three backing plates in two years. I dont know if I have crummy luck or Im too rough with the PC/UDM. The material just separated from the bottom of the plate to the top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FujiFast
    That`s good news. I really like my Meguiar`s Softbuff polishing pads. I was hoping that they wouldn`t fail from the added torque.

Use a 6" backing plate with the Meguiars pads. I have yet to have one fail on me since going to the 6" backing plate. I think since the smaller 5" BP doesn`t completely cover the velcro backing, all that oscillation in the middle causes it to fail. With the 6" BP, the velcro is covered and an even amount of force is applied to the entire velcro backing, elminating a `hot spot` in the middle.

The excel detail 6" backing plate is a carbon copy of the BP supplied with the UDM, except 1" larger in diameter. I noticed no additional vibration swapping them out.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    great info, Scott. I was kind of afraid to use the Megs pads with the 6 inch backing plate for fear of cutting them up. And I really like the Megs yellow polishing pad.

Thread Information