Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would hope that everyone who uses the UDM, PC or rotary would have enough common sense to unplug it when changing backing plates.

Post Thanks / Like
    The whole reason why this has escalated to this level is what ZoranC said "Also, please notice that majority of objections in this thread does not revolve around whether power is too easy to engage or not, but around what has been done after realizing that to protect consumers that already have units in their hands and are not following Autopia"............

Ample time has be given for the makers of the UDM to respond to the switch issue. They have admitted the problem. Again does it take someone losing there eye sight or breaking a finger? No one has been notified of the problem!!!!!! Hey I love the UDM!!! Just fix the switch!!! Regards to all especially the few who have stood up and said something was wrong with this picture here. Zoom-Zoom

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    David doesn`t have the time to be constantly present on the forums. I am sure he is aware of this discussion on some level and will respond to concerns when he has the opportunity. This machine is his baby and I know he is very interested and welcoming to feedback regarding it. His absense should not be taken as a sign of apathy to the issues at hand. Quite the opposite. When I rasied the issue of the power switch he went out the very next day and started experimenting with ways to improve on it.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    David doesn`t have the time to be constantly present on the forums. I am sure he is aware of this discussion on some level and will respond to concerns when he has the opportunity. This machine is his baby and I know he is very interested and welcoming to feedback regarding it. His absense should not be taken as a sign of apathy to the issues at hand. Quite the opposite. When I rasied the issue of the power switch he went out the very next day and started experimenting with ways to improve on it.
    True. However lack of consumer alert to all owners and lack of courtesy appology to those that got polish in the eye, whack on the finger, whatever, does send mixed message, doesn`t it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    I would hope that everyone who uses the UDM, PC or rotary would have enough common sense to unplug it when changing backing plates.
    It would be great if we all lived in ideal world where everybody always does exactly what they should. One should disconnect tool when changing backing plate.

However, how many of seasoned professionals and enthusiasts here percentage wise disconnect PC (please notice I said PC, not UDM) every single time all the time when changing backing plate? Please raise your hands.

How many disconnect tool when putting polish on the pad every single time all the time, like they should based on that same logic? Please raise your hands.

How many disconnect tool when putting pad on backing plate every single time all the time, like they should based on that same logic? Please raise your hands.

I am sure you should be able to see the point. If you want to see it, that is. In the meantime do you personally practice all of the above? If you are not you should. It is enough of a common sense to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to take offense when none was intended.

No matter how nice you are when you call somebody fat and ugly, you still called them fat and ugly.

I`m done with this thread.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    No matter how nice you are when you call somebody fat and ugly, you still called them fat and ugly.

I`m done with this thread.
    Chris, please correct me if I am wrong, and please do not think I am justifying his gross jump to assumption and generalization, but I do not think he was referring to group you were in. You were not a beta tester, if I understand and recollect things correctly, you won UDM and only obligation you had was to write review later, that was all, so I do not see how you could have thought he was speaking to you. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC
    Chris, please correct me if I am wrong, and please do not think I am justifying his gross jump to assumption and generalization, but I do not think he was referring to group you were in. You were not a beta tester, if I understand and recollect things correctly, you won UDM and only obligation you had was to write review later, that was all, so I do not see how you could have thought he was speaking to you. :nixweiss

Zoran, after rereading the posts that I considered offending I *think* you`re right. I`ll take my slice of humble pie and move on. Sorry for sticking my nose in. Carry on......
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    I`ll take my slice of humble pie and move on. Sorry for sticking my nose in. Carry on......
    Just please do not misunderstand what I said. It was not meant to say anything negative nor to result in no input from you. Every solid point from any direction is always good thing to have, that is what mature discussion should be about. So please do not hessitate to say what is on your mind just because of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t honestly say that I ever thought about unplugging the PC when changing pads. It just never occured to me that the power switch might come on. If it did then I really couldn`t imagine any life threatening results. Now, I unplug the table saw before I change the blade, but I see the danger there and have heard the stories... I haven`t ever heard about someone changing a pad on their PC and getting an eye full of polish. I have heard this with the UDM, so I will definitely be unplugging it before I change any pads or backing plates. I guess I`ve always put `risk` and `danger` into different categories. With the PC you risk having it turn on and spray you. With the UDM there is the definite danger of that happening. It goes beyond risk and into high probability.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    How to set your ignore list:

At the top of the page, click on the "Quick Links" link, then select "User Control Panel" from the dropdown list. Once the control panel appears, look near the bottom of the left-hand column for "Buddy / Ignore Lists".

It should be straightforward from there.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the UDM. Love it. Switch is easy to turn on, but not astonishingly so, and not noticeably more than other machines in the world. Great that David is working on a `fix`, even though I don`t consider the machine `broken`. I don`t think he needs to apologize for the machine, and I think the `outrage` about him not doing so is odd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a question to all of those that think issue should be dealt with in manner typical of Internet forum boards: This is a real world. Ask yourself whether arguments you offer would hold any strength in front of real world legal system (not forum groupies) over injury that could have been prevented if manufacturer sent out alert to consumers promptly. If answer is that they would not care about "logic" of the patrons at the "watering hole" then please notice your approach is not helping manufacturer, quite the opposite. I would say that actually bringing this issue up is what was in the best interest of manufacturer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherri Zann
    Switch is easy to turn on, but not astonishingly so, and not noticeably more than other machines in the world.
    I have a feeling you haven`t worked with many power tools beside UDM, if any at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri Zann
    I don`t think he needs to apologize for the machine, and I think the `outrage` about him not doing so is odd.
    It is odd only if you missed the point. He doesn`t need to apologize for the machine. However it would have been very courteous to offer at least "sorry" for the whack I got due to admitted issue. If you find that odd will you find it OK if I slam the door on your finger and no appology will be needed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Lets talk legal terms. The manufacture knows he has a bad switch on a machine. He also knows it has/will/can hurt someone to a serious degree. (losing eye sight).... But the manufacture does not notify the owners of the machines. He does not recall or correct the problem. Notify the first step.....Simple It is called Negligence. Plain and simple.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Those that don`t get it now probably never will. I think any further discussion is a waste of breath. I rest my case.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information