Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely!!! After reading everyone else`s post it is clear someone did not or did not listen to field testers. I did not even know there is a big UDM thread on the UDM forum. I thought all is well they released it. DON`T GET ME WRONG IT IS A NICE POLISHER WITH A COUPLE QUIRKS!!! But I`m like the above a full recall would probably be the best thing to happen.

I understand now, today that it would take 30 minutes to change each switch. A big project and costly. However the problem must be addressed somehow, someday. If not there is a possiblity lawyers would be involved in a lawsuit.

Again a recall would be best IMHO....

Regards to the manufacture, inventor, and all Autopians.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC
    Are you saying you have a feeling UDM was released without extensive enough field test?
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TortoiseAWD
    Deep breath, man . . . the upgrades were only announced two days ago, and due to certifications required for the electrical bits, it`s going to take some time before the upgrade hardware is made available. But it IS coming. Registered owners will be notified either via e-mail or snail-mail about the upgrades as they become available. If you haven`t registered, this is a good time to do so.

Tort

I tried registering before, but it never does anything when I click go. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    You people crack me up. All because of a small "tweak" that David is sending out to all UDM owners everyone is ready to throw their UDM in the trash. I have used the UDM even before it was released and have never had an issue with the switch. Yes I did comment did David about the switch and how extremely sensitive it was.

Now he has stated that he has a fix for the problem in the works which will be sent out to all owners. What more do you want? Is the UDM not usable without the switch enhancement?

I have personally polished like 20 cars with the UDM and have no issues with it. Do I have to be careful with the switch "YES". Is a fix coming? "YES".

For those that are not purchasing the UDM for this issue...well your loss. To me the UDM is such an improvement over the standard PC. If you don`t want to try it then stick with what you have and "Happy Detailing"

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath as Tort mentioned.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Pat,

It is strange that I sent David a PM three days ago about the issue. But you did not know that..... It is also funny that today or yesterday David said "he has stated that he has a fix for the problem in the works which will be sent out to all owners" And made more statements about upgrades TODAY....

I have said in several post what a nice polisher it is!!!! I even have said I would buy it again !!!! (look back jack)

Yes I know a fix is coming. But I also know it was said to replace the switch was a 30 minute job. That means sending you unit back.

You are fortunate not to have turned the unit upside down to add polish to the pad (like I always do) and have it Slung (Meg. #80) back into your eye. Burning like ____ .....

I have taken "a deep breath ".... Its not a issue like it needs a guard or cosmetic change. I am talking about the safety of others.

So you can get all "crack me up" all you want. I hope it`s not you next to get the polish in your eye treatment. "All because of a small "tweak" """"

Regards..........................

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx
    You people crack me up. All because of a small "tweak" that David is sending out to all UDM owners everyone is ready to throw their UDM in the trash. I have used the UDM even before it was released and have never had an issue with the switch. Yes I did comment did David about the switch and how extremely sensitive it was.

Now he has stated that he has a fix for the problem in the works which will be sent out to all owners. What more do you want? Is the UDM not usable without the switch enhancement?

I have personally polished like 20 cars with the UDM and have no issues with it. Do I have to be careful with the switch "YES". Is a fix coming? "YES".

For those that are not purchasing the UDM for this issue...well your loss. To me the UDM is such an improvement over the standard PC. If you don`t want to try it then stick with what you have and "Happy Detailing"

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath as Tort mentioned.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    It is nice to hear fix is coming. I still wish it did not go out without a fix. I got quite solid whack with wrench across my thumb as unit got turned on while I was trying to change backing plate even though I did take precautions that it does not. While I did not suffer any damage and pain was not near to what polish in the eye is that is still one pain I could have lived without.

Post Thanks / Like

If you find the product to have a safety issue, the fault is with the manufacturers. If your aware of the fault, and continue its use, and you get polish in your eyes, or worse yet, an injury, you have no one to blame but yourself. Ive lived with my "faulty" switch for several months now, but have learned to adapt until the switch is replaced. I feel comfortable using it, and will continue to do so.

#1 I would advise unplugging the unit while changing BP`s!

#2 When applying polish maintain a downward pressure on the switch when the machine is upside down.

#3 If your installing a pad (The way I do) after centering when you turn the machine over to give the pad a couple slaps, keep that other hand on the switch so it doesnt activate.

Just use some common sense knowing it has a temporary shortfall. Its been recognized, and is being dealt with. At least you have some answers to this issue.

Im sure DB is trying his hardest to remedy this situation.
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the UK version will it have the same issue?or do we have to wait for the series 2 if theres any with all the problems resolves?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, everyone needs to take a deep breath, I am sure DavidB is doing all he can. He is only one man working to please so many. I used the UDM again today for the 3rd day in a row and it didnt turn on on me. You just have to adjust how you use it. I still wish it had more power but as I posted in another thread I might have a defective product, which happens with EVERY SINGLE PRODUCT LINE EVAR not just this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Little kid pulls on the cord, WAM across the room he goes! His fault, stupid kid should have read the boards! LoL

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll have to adjust but I think the machine is fine even with the spotty switch. I`ve only had it turn on once without my intending to turn it on. The "trick" is to hold the machine so that you have a finger in the indent where the switch would go to to be turned on.

I would be concerned if the switch could be actuated with gravity and it definitely can not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    I feel comfortable using it, and will continue to do so.

#1 I would advise unplugging the unit while changing BP`s!

#2 When applying polish maintain a downward pressure on the switch when the machine is upside down.
    I too feel comfortable continuing to use it once I learnt the lesson about backing plate. However, did I have to learn it? How many of us unplug PC when changing BP on it?

Yes, David is working on resolving the issue. However, what was done to prevent injuries while issue is being worked on? Were alerts sent out? They should have been sent out moment they became aware of the issue. He knows at least shipping address if not shipping address and e-mail address of every UDM buyer that purchased through ACC. As of now I did not receive any alerts about switch. If I was not regularly visiting here I would not have known about it. However, I did receive registration reminder e-mail and invitation to buy more products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phamkl
    The "trick" is to hold the machine so that you have a finger in the indent where the switch would go to to be turned on.

I would be concerned if the switch could be actuated with gravity and it definitely can not.
    Read my thread about hit on thumb I received even though I was holding finger in the indent. Holding finger in the indent that time did not prevent unit turning on on me. It is not like it was gravity all it took, but still it took very little for it to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YoMike
    Little kid pulls on the cord, WAM across the room he goes! His fault, stupid kid should have read the boards! LoL

"Stupid parent" shouldn`t leave a power tool plugged in and unattended so that the "stupid kid" could pull on the cord. The "stupid parent" should pay attention to his/her "stupid kid" and not expect the rest of the "stupid world" to make up for his/her lack of parenting.

:bolt

Post Thanks / Like
    ZoranC, I meant the area in the indent where the switch would be to be on. Basically, you`d be pushing the switch down towards off. I actually haven`t picked up my machine in a week since I finished all my family`s cars so I may be wrong.

I suppose it may also work if one holds the machine so as to not be anywhere near the switch? It`d be a little less comfortable but far more comfortable, I`m sure, than SIP in the eyes!

Still, for what it`s worth, I must`ve turned the machine on and off a hundred or so times and only had one accidental turn on, but only because the switch got caught on something as I pulled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phamkl
    ZoranC, I meant the area in the indent where the switch would be to be on. Basically, you`d be pushing the switch down towards off.
    I know exactly what you mean. If you have read my thread you would have realized that is exactly what I was doing and still that did not prevent turning on that resulted in one loud "OUCH! SH!T!". Hit was strong enough that I dropped unit out of my hand and wondered is thumb broken.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information