Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    could you remove the switch and install your own radio shack switch? It would look ghetto but I`m a function over form guy (i know right, what am I doing on a detailing forum?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you could. However living in a rural area why should I have to pay $9.00 for gas, $5.00 for the switch and use my time to go pick it up? It is not my fault the design is flawed. There are methods for product recall / replacement. It`s not if someone is going to get hurt, its when. Judging by the post here, if one of the top detailers on this forum has had a problem, then I know it is a real concern.

Quote Originally Posted by bpfoley
    could you remove the switch and install your own radio shack switch? It would look ghetto but I`m a function over form guy (i know right, what am I doing on a detailing forum?)
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm
    You mean you guys aren`t using safety glasses/goggles when polishing?
    Only time I use saftey goggles is when doing rims that are really dirty because the Megs Wheel Brightener is a real pain in the eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRX8
    That is exactly why I notified the correct persons. To bring it to there attention. The UDM should not have been released with that switch. A quick group of users prior to realease would have found the problem right away. Now they want me to send in my UDM and get a full refund. That is not the answer to the problem. It is the switch! I love the UDM except for that fact.

As much as I respect the creator I agree on that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    The switch was one thing, but the part that annoyed me the most about my UDM is the casing is misaligned so the handle only screws in on the right side. I`m use to having it screwed in on the left side like when I use a PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you could. However living in a rural area why should I have to pay $9.00 for gas, $5.00 for the switch and use my time to go pick it up? It is not my fault the design is flawed. There are methods for product recall / replacement. It`s not if someone is going to get hurt, its when. Judging by the post here, if one of the top detailers on this forum has had a problem, then I know it is a real concern.
    DavidB has already addressed the switch issue, and is working on an update. A short-term solution (a felt pad to increase the slide-resistance of the switch) and a long-term solution (redesigned switch) will be made available. Check the http://autopia.org/forum/ultimate-de...tml#post962729 thread for more info on the switch and other upgrades.

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Ex Coupe
    The switch was one thing, but the part that annoyed me the most about my UDM is the casing is misaligned so the handle only screws in on the right side. I`m use to having it screwed in on the left side like when I use a PC.
    I`m sure you could get a replacement unit shipped to you without much trouble. Have you called the vendor yet?

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    So what I`m gathering here is I should just stick with my PC since I already have it.... not really worth changing out for the UDM??
    dylan von kleist | technical director & product development | adam`s premium car care
    e: dylan@adamspolishes.com | toll free: [866] 965 - 0400 | shop online at adamspolishes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TortoiseAWD
    I`m sure you could get a replacement unit shipped to you without much trouble. Have you called the vendor yet?

Tort
    Your avatar cracks me up everytime.

Post Thanks / Like
    So they know I bought a UDM. They have my address. But I have not gotten any info on updates on the UDM (or parts). I don`t check autopia every day. Is it my respondability sp to check? NO!!! THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE THATS NEEDS ADDRESSING ASAP AND SENT TO CURRENT OWNERS!!! SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET HURT, MAYBE LOSE THEIR EYESIGHT AND YOU SAY THERE ARE UPDATES AVAILABLE? WHO ELSE BESIDES THE MANUFACTURE IS LIABLE HERE. The updates should be sent out automaticlly! SORRY BUT WORKING ON AND MADE AVAILABLE (TO WHO, NOT ME THE UNKNOWN) GETS MY GOAT!!!!!!

DavidB has already addressed the switch issue, and is working on an update. A short-term solution (a felt pad to increase the slide-resistance of the switch) and a long-term solution (redesigned switch) will be made available. Check the http://autopia.org/forum/ultimate-de...tml#post962729 thread for more info on the switch and other upgrades.

Tort
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    The right thing to do might be to costly to even think about. But in the long run it might be the cheapest and safest, recall?

Post Thanks / Like
    wow it just seems like thread after thread, after post all about the udm having this design flow with the power switch. almost everytime i log onto autopia there`s a different thread regarding this problem in the "recent threads." I`m glad I got my pc 3 years ago, and also have a makita rotary. I`m guessing I won`t need the udm correct? i hope not, after all these complaints

Post Thanks / Like

Tort

It was really annoying the first week I had it when I was using it with the handle on the right side, but then I came to the conclusion I liked it even better without a handle, so I decided to just keep it since I waited weeks for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The UDM should not have been released with that switch. A quick group of users prior to realease would have found the problem right away.
    Are you saying you have a feeling UDM was released without extensive enough field test?

Post Thanks / Like
    So they know I bought a UDM. They have my address. But I have not gotten any info on updates on the UDM (or parts). I don`t check autopia every day. Is it my respondability sp to check? NO!!! THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE THATS NEEDS ADDRESSING ASAP AND SENT TO CURRENT OWNERS!!! SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET HURT, MAYBE LOSE THEIR EYESIGHT AND YOU SAY THERE ARE UPDATES AVAILABLE? WHO ELSE BESIDES THE MANUFACTURE IS LIABLE HERE. The updates should be sent out automaticlly! SORRY BUT WORKING ON AND MADE AVAILABLE (TO WHO, NOT ME THE UNKNOWN) GETS MY GOAT!!!!!!
    Deep breath, man . . . the upgrades were only announced two days ago, and due to certifications required for the electrical bits, it`s going to take some time before the upgrade hardware is made available. But it IS coming. Registered owners will be notified either via e-mail or snail-mail about the upgrades as they become available. If you haven`t registered, this is a good time to do so.

Tort

P.S. While I sympathize with the safety issue you raise, should ANY of us really be polishing without safety glasses? Probably not . . . I know I`m guilty of it, and I`ve been sprayed by both my Cyclo and PC in the past.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information