Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    can you rate the swirlbuster pad compared to the Megs burgandy pad- softer, less aggressive and leaves a better finish?

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s been ages since I used the Meg`s burgundy pad but I`m pretty sure the SwirlBuster is softer, yet does the job a lot more effectively. If it weren`t for those holograms in the form of the pockets in the pad, I`d say it`s a pretty good compounding and polishing pad all in one. Even with the hologramming, when using Optimum, it does leave a better finish than the Meg`s burgundy alone. It is quite clear and bright.

If I learn how to eliminate the hologramming, I would say the SwirlBuster is definitely worth trying out. Having to follow with the white LC pad at present is the only minor inconvenience.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    This wasn`t exactly my experience although I had the RPMs less than that most of the time. The pad does a nice job at defect removal but I got hologramming in the shape of those pockets on the pad on the paint. I used the recommended amount of polish. I`ll try it again, this time at those RPMs and with more consistent pressure.

If someone experiences the same, no need for panic. Simply follow with a white LC pad and your polish ( Optimum in my case here) @ 1000 RPMs and that will get them out.

The way I see it, regarding rotary usage, is that it would be better if a version of the pad without pockets was available. I don`t do much paint correction by PC but maybe with its dual action, the pockets contribute much better.
    Have you tried the new SSB polish with a traditional SFX-2 pad? Perhaps the alleged flaw is the new grooved pad?
    Thanks,

Spartacus_33

2005 BMW 545i (Jet Black/Black)

Post Thanks / Like
    Spartacus, not to speak for Bill, but I believe you misunderstood his post. AFAIK, the Swirlbuster Polish is not out yet, Bill was just using the pad, so his comments were directed at the pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts exactly, it`s the grooves in the pads via rotary, at least at the speed I tried it ( 1000 RPMs per instructions right with the pad), that caused the holgramming. If they didn`t happen, the pad would`ve totally corrected very well. Probably just a learning curve.

Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts exactly, it`s the grooves in the pads via rotary, at least at the speed I tried it ( 1000 RPMs per instructions right with the pad), that caused the holgramming. If they didn`t happen, the pad would`ve totally corrected very well. Probably just a learning curve.
    OH... so you`re using a rotary not a random orbital?
    Thanks,

Spartacus_33

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, according to the literature of the product, it can be used on both. Hopefully I`ll figure out what to do to avoid the hologramming. I`ll try raising the RPMs, as I see David B mentioned he used it a little bit higher, and put some pressure on the pad. It is a bit thicker than what I`m used to using.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, according to the literature of the product, it can be used on both. Hopefully I`ll figure out what to do to avoid the hologramming. I`ll try raising the RPMs, as I see David B mentioned he used it a little bit higher, and put some pressure on the pad. It is a bit thicker than what I`m used to using.
    I`d be curious to see if the hologramming still occured with a PC7424. :nixweiss
    Thanks,

Spartacus_33

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt it, much different motion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I`m in the warehouse today, so I won`t have opportunity to fully comment until a bit later.

The pad was specifically designed for DA, but I did extensive testing with my rotary on two different vehicles. I experienced so hologram issues when used with SFX-1, but the holograms polished out very nicely with SFX-2 and the SwirlBuster polish.

I used a lot of pressure with my rotary and more speed than recommended to test for "abusive use". I discovered that under to much pressure the pad runs dry, which caused more hologram marks. I resolved this issue by wetting the pad with detail spray before loading with polish.

I also discovered that the pad really likes speed. When I ran the pad at 1800 to 2000 RPM, I got very nice gloss with SFX-2, however, it was still necessary to do a final pass with a white SFX pad and SFX-2 or SFX-3 polish. With the SwirlBuster polish, this was not necessary. The extra lubrication and acrylic sealant in the polish gives a very nice final finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK David, sounds like I`m on the right track. I will up the RPMs and put a little bit more pressure on the pad. It sounds like it`s not uncommon to have to follow with a less aggressive pad and polish which is fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Hey guys, I`m in the warehouse today, so I won`t have opportunity to fully comment until a bit later.

The pad was specifically designed for DA, but I did extensive testing with my rotary on two different vehicles. I experienced so hologram issues when used with SFX-1, but the holograms polished out very nicely with SFX-2 and the SwirlBuster polish.

I used a lot of pressure with my rotary and more speed than recommended to test for "abusive use". I discovered that under to much pressure the pad runs dry, which caused more hologram marks. I resolved this issue by wetting the pad with detail spray before loading with polish.

I also discovered that the pad really likes speed. When I ran the pad at 1800 to 2000 RPM, I got very nice gloss with SFX-2, however, it was still necessary to do a final pass with a white SFX pad and SFX-2 or SFX-3 polish. With the SwirlBuster polish, this was not necessary. The extra lubrication and acrylic sealant in the polish gives a very nice final finish.
    Alright Dave... Now... when is the polish going to be available?

And... forgive me please, but what is "DA"?
    Thanks,

Spartacus_33

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used this pad extensively since I got one a week or so ago. As DavidB mentioned, keeping the pad moist and well filled with product makes it work pretty sweetly. I like it a lot!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad, via PC, rotary, both?

Post Thanks / Like
    any chance the new polish will be ready before the end of the sale?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread Information