Post Thanks / Like

36 hour. $3,000 paint correction.

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 36 hour. $3,000 paint correction.

And in the beginning hes sitting on the hood???
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes Mr. Slick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If he thinks he got a good deal, that`s all that maters.

Your competition does not lower your price, you do!

Salesmen are the best compensated people in the world. Sell what you got ! and sell it hard.

Now, someone sell me a PEN !
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That’s one of the better videos I have seen. For all the work that was done $3k sounds pretty reasonable. I do think with that many people it could have been done in way less time. He may have been counting the dent removal as part of the 36 hours. I like it that dent removal was included. It’s usually about $25 per dent depending on the severity.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    That’s one of the better videos I have seen. For all the work that was done $3k sounds pretty reasonable. I do think with that many people it could have been done in way less time. He may have been counting the dent removal as part of the 36 hours. I like it that dent removal was included. It’s usually about $25 per dent depending on the severity.
    Hey, Amigo !
    What happens is that you have to count the number of people, and each of their hours...
    Still, I don`t know anyone that takes 36 hours to correct paint.. That`s almost a 40-hour week..
    Well, they did NOT use Rotary Power, so that could would have sped up the process..

I have corrected a lot of Black Mercedes paint that was the Ceramic Clear harder than dirt paintwork, and while it is hard to correct, the correct Menzerna compounds made by Menzerna for Mercedes paint always gets the job done... These guys used some other products.. But they Did get great results...

You are so lucky dent removal is so inexpensive !
    Where I live and have lived, dents all cost $75+ each.. No discounting for multiples, etc...

Wait, Wait !!! I DO know someone who took about 40 hours to correct paint, but it was on an Airplane that had never been paint corrected in its life... I went through a huge amount of L/C Purple Foam Wool Pads and a lot of Meguiars 105 and 205. And I told myself, I am never going to do this again...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Hey, Amigo !
    What happens is that you have to count the number of people, and each of their hours...
    Still, I don`t know anyone that takes 36 hours to correct paint.. That`s almost a 40-hour week..
    Well, they did NOT use Rotary Power, so that could would have sped up the process..

I have corrected a lot of Black Mercedes paint that was the Ceramic Clear harder than dirt paintwork, and while it is hard to correct, the correct Menzerna compounds made by Menzerna for Mercedes paint always gets the job done... These guys used some other products.. But they Did get great results...

You are so lucky dent removal is so inexpensive !
    Where I live and have lived, dents all cost $75+ each.. No discounting for multiples, etc...

Wait, Wait !!! I DO know someone who took about 40 hours to correct paint, but it was on an Airplane that had never been paint corrected in its life... I went through a huge amount of L/C Purple Foam Wool Pads and a lot of Meguiars 105 and 205. And I told myself, I am never going to do this again...
    Dan F
    Wow 40 hours to correct an airplane, I would have died. I didn’t multiply each persons time working on that Mercedes, that way it might have been more than 36 hours. I saw them using microfiber cutting pads which is the smart thing to do. I was looking for the list of polishes and coatings that they used but I guess it didn’t get posted. I’ve never seen the type of bottle they were using to apply their compound, although it may have been a secondary container. With that many people working smart they should have been able to knock out that car in 8+ hours. By myself I think I could have done a good job in 24 hours, not including dent repair and I’m an old man, lol. I would have sped up the decon process by using Nanoskin. I wonder how long it took on the interior? All in all I think they did a great job, it’s better to take too long and get it right the first time. I thought it was very smart that they took it out in the sun, but for an operation like that they should have dedicated lights just in case it rains like it does here ever day in the summer. Got to have a contingency plan.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Wow 40 hours to correct an airplane, I would have died. I didn’t multiply each persons time working on that Mercedes, that way it might have been more than 36 hours. I saw them using microfiber cutting pads which is the smart thing to do. I was looking for the list of polishes and coatings that they used but I guess it didn’t get posted. I’ve never seen the type of bottle they were using to apply their compound, although it may have been a secondary container. With that many people working smart they should have been able to knock out that car in 8+ hours. By myself I think I could have done a good job in 24 hours, not including dent repair and I’m an old man, lol. I would have sped up the decon process by using Nanoskin. I wonder how long it took on the interior? All in all I think they did a great job, it’s better to take too long and get it right the first time. I thought it was very smart that they took it out in the sun, but for an operation like that they should have dedicated lights just in case it rains like it does here ever day in the summer. Got to have a contingency plan.
    Amigo -
    Yeah, Airplanes are NOT ever easy.. And then when you think you have finished all the wingspans, then you remember - now you have to go Under the wingspans and do it all over.. Definitely a real triceps burner...

Yes, if say there were 4 people all doing the same process, different parts of the vehicle, all started the same time, all stopped the same time.. If each worked 8 hours then the total job took 32 hours, which is still way too long to me.. And I have corrected a lot of Jet Black Mercedes paint, way harder than the metallics, because as we know, jet black shows everything, absolutely everything.. No room for error...

You know, I need to go watch that video again, did you see any big Scangrip lights for the sides, etc., ?
    I have way more lights in my ceiling than those guys have...

Believe I saw a huge list of things they used posted now... Can`t remember what they used for correction, polish, etc., But it wasn`t Menzerna, I remember that much..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Post #5 . I was going to reply but did not re: dent pricing. I have one PDR guys who`s a master but it`s north of $225 minimum and will cover 3 dents. Then per dent moving forward. When I saw the $25 per dent, it just goes to show again, how regional pricing is relative to all things

Post Thanks / Like

You know if they paid those guys an average of $30 per hour and with the cost of supplies and electricity, et al. They just about broke even at $3000 on a 36 hour detail. Do the math and tell me if I am close. Is $30 a good rate or should it be closer to $40 per hour.? Mechanics are making $75 per hour (BMW).

Thread Information