Post Thanks / Like

Explicit Detail - project:golf Recap Video

Hello all, here is a short recap or video "before & after" of a job I recently completed for one of my best friends. After purchasing a new vehicle last year, his former daily driver, a 2002 VW Golf, ended up sitting under a large sap-bearing tree for over 8 months. Prior to that, it hadn`t received so much as a coat of wax in years (literally) and he told me it had probably NEVER had the engine bay cleaned. I love him to death, but he doesn`t know the difference between a clay bar and play-doh. Needless to say, it wasn`t pretty...but he wanted to put it on the market so we handled the mechanical issues (new sparkplugs, new battery, etc) and then he wished me the best of luck and I set out on quest to bring some life back to this two-point-slow.

https://youtu.be/HGujyVgXbww

Hope you enjoy it!

random fact: The music is an original track produced by an extremely talented friend of mine.

other random fact: I tried the youtube tags but couldn`t get them to work.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Explicit Detail - project:golf Recap Video

ExplicitDetail ---
    Wow, that is a huge improvement !!! I told you German paint is really good..
    Too bad it had died on the top, before you did your excellent work to it..
    What did you use on it ?? I have always loved Menzerna or Sonax for German paint, but I am sure others are great also..

Working for 11 years in the Pacific Northwest, I had my share of beautiful german cars that had been parked under the huge pines and firs and were bombed with tree sap too..
    Terrible stuff but it does come off completely if not on there so long that it etched into the paint..

Wait until you run across some Artillery Fungus.. I hated that stuff because there was so much of it - it loved white especially or lighter colored paintwork..

Awesome job, I am sure the Interior was beautiful too and he could sell it much faster..

Love the "two-point-slow" comment..
    Dan F
    Thanks ExplicitDetail thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Explicit Detail - project:golf Recap Video

Thanks for checking it out! I used a Griot`s BOSS G15 with their fast correcting/correcting creams and color-coded pads (fast correcting on the worst parts of the paint, like the hood and back bumpers, correcting cream on the majority of the vertical body panels), followed by their perfecting cream and finishing sealant. For narrow sections of the car I used my GG6 with a 3" backing plate and the same BOSS pads/creams. Once the correction and polishing was done, I topped it off with a quick coat of some Mother`s Wax that I`m trying to get rid of for a little extra protection as it will remain parked outside until it`s sold.

The owner and I debated on several options for the roof, but he wanted to keep costs down so a respray or vinyl wrap were options we eliminated...it was determined that the most cost effective solution (although certainly likely to be less permanent) was to sand down the areas where the clearcoat was peeling, then I did an IPA wipedown, masked/covered the rest of the car in plastic, then sprayed it with over 15 coats of plasti-dip to give it at least some protection from the elements and while it`s not flawless, it does look substantially better overall.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Thread Information