Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener Review

Likes trashmanssd, tropicsteve, Stokdgs, richy, Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar`s Wheel Brightener Review

Nice video...Thanks for putting that together. I have a gallon of WB but rarely use it that much anymore since using coating on my wheels. I agree that it is fantastic for trashed and dirty wheels.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Nice video...Thanks for putting that together. I have a gallon of WB but rarely use it that much anymore since using coating on my wheels. I agree that it is fantastic for trashed and dirty wheels.
    thanks, maybe i need to use wheel coating too

Post Thanks / Like

Alfie, I would heed the safety warnings printed on the bottle. The product contains a potent acid. There are much safer products around that are fine on the type of dirt you are working on.

I`d buy the D140 if I was regularly working on wheels that hadn`t been cleaned in years. That`s where it`s appropriate. The safety issues related to HF acid cannot be ignored.

Good video, but I cringed when I saw you rinsing the bottle at 30 seconds. The product is still dangerous even when diluted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Alfie, I would heed the safety warnings printed on the bottle. The product contains a potent acid. There are much safer products around that are fine on the type of dirt you are working on.

I`d buy the D140 if I was regularly working on wheels that hadn`t been cleaned in years. That`s where it`s appropriate. The safety issues related to HF acid cannot be ignored.

Good video, but I cringed when I saw you rinsing the bottle at 30 seconds. The product is still dangerous even when diluted.
    ^^^^^^ this.

like Tom, I don`t use this stuff regularly and even less so since I don`t do this professionally. I would strongly encourage you to get familiar with the chemicals you choose/use. Things like HF (hydrofluoric acid) are very nasty and can cause problems either through inhalation or contact with skin. ....the effects of which may not be necessarily immediately obvious (think repeated, long term exposure).

The NFPA label on the bottle itself shows the product as a level "3" hazard to health. Here is the rating system:

0 = Normal Material
    1 = Slightly Hazardous
    2 = Hazardous
    3 = Extreme Danger
    4 = Deadly

Here`s the MSDS:
    Material Safety Data Sheet

Personally, I always use chemical resistant gloves and a respirator when working with this product or other hazardous chemicals. In the MSDS they even recommend the respirator and at least nitrile gloves.

This stuff is no joke and frankly, I wish it was made more apparent on the labeling. I think of all the inexperienced porters working at car dealerships who use these types of chemicals on a daily basis simply because they are quick. I highly doubt most know the hazards of what they are handling.

Here are just some snippets from the linked MSDS:

7.1 HANDLINGAvoid breathing of vapors, mists or spray. Keep out of the reach of children. Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product.Wash exposed areas thoroughly with soap and water. Do not get in eyes. Do not get on skin or on clothing. Do not breathe vapors.Avoid contact with oxidizing agents.

8.2.1 Eye/Face ProtectionDo not get in eyes.The following eye protection(s) are recommended: Full Face ShieldIndirect Vented Goggles.8.2.2 Skin ProtectionDo not get on skin or on clothing.Select and use gloves and/or protective clothing to prevent skin contact based on the results of an exposure assessment. Consult withyour glove and/or protective clothing manufacturer for selection of appropriate compatible materials.Gloves made from the following material(s) are recommended: NeopreneNitrile Rubber. The following protective clothing material(s) are recommended: Apron - Neoprene

8.2.3 Respiratory Protection
    Do not breathe vapors.Select one of the following NIOSH approved respirators based on airborne concentration of contaminants and in accordance withOSHA regulations: Half facepiece or fullface air-purifying respirator with organic vapor cartridges and P95 particulate prefilters. Select and use respiratory protection to prevent an inhalation exposure based on the results of an exposure assessment. Consultwith your respirator manufacturer for selection of appropriate types of respirators.
    Not trying to be a negative Nancy here but I really think it`s important to heed the safety warnings on these types of chemicals like Tom said.
    2010 Challenger R/T
    2020 Forester
    1986 4Runner
    1969 Charger SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kean View Post

This stuff is no joke and frankly, I wish it was made more apparent on the labeling. I think of all the inexperienced porters working at car dealerships who use these types of chemicals on a daily basis simply because they are quick. I highly doubt most know the hazards of what they are handling.
    Kean, I couldn`t agree more. I saw this warning from the car wash industry, it`s fairly fresh: Auto Laundry News: Hydrofluoric Acid - Renewed Warnings

(I bought a gallon of this wheel cleaner a number of years ago. It`s highly effective but I grew somewhat concerned when others here warned me about it. I then did some reading on it and decided it was not a hazard I could take a chance with. My kids sometimes help me with the weekly washes and they often do the wheels. I ended up selling most of the gallon to someone else here who needed a potent wheel cleaner for clients` cars. He was aware of the dangers associated with it.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Kean, I couldn`t agree more. I saw this warning from the car wash industry, it`s fairly fresh: Auto Laundry News: Hydrofluoric Acid - Renewed Warnings

(I bought a gallon of this wheel cleaner a number of years ago. It`s highly effective but I grew somewhat concerned when others here warned me about it. I then did some reading on it and decided it was not a hazard I could take a chance with. My kids sometimes help me with the weekly washes and they often do the wheels. I ended up selling most of the gallon to someone else here who needed a potent wheel cleaner for clients` cars. He was aware of the dangers associated with it.)
    Good article. Actually, Wheel Brightener is one of those cleaners using ABF but as they point out, it poses a lot of the same hazards of those containing HF. In the MSDS it even tells you that certain reactions with their product with metal and glass can form HF.

I stayed away from this product for years and only bought some relatively recently for a particular job. If they sold it in smaller bottle, I would have opted for that.

I keep such chems together in a storage cabinet mounted at about eye level on my wall in the garage. I have a little one as well and safety is always on my mind. In fact, that is one of the reasons I`ve been trying to convince the wife that we should buy a good steam cleaner. ....so we are not so reliant on chemicals to clean the house and interiors of the cars.

Honestly, I will likely be at a point here I give the rest of my gallon bottle away to someone else or dispose of it (properly of course). I just don`t find myself in that many situations that would warrant its use.
    2010 Challenger R/T
    2020 Forester
    1986 4Runner
    1969 Charger SE

Thread Information