Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Restoration, from A to Z

I offer two levels of headlight restoration to my customers. I wanted to make an example light to show them the difference so I decided to make a video out of it. Had to break it up into a 3 part series.

https://youtu.be/F2uXXK_qzpw
    https://youtu.be/kScuc2N6e_U
    https://youtu.be/hpmnZOK2-KI

Jacksonville Auto Detailing - Home
    Sweat The Details
    I may be slow, but I do poor work.
    www.JaxDetails.com
    www.Facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
    Likes The Guz, ca.detailchick, tropicsteve liked this post
    Thanks ca.detailchick thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight Restoration, from A to Z

Thanks for putting this together!

Post Thanks / Like

Very informative thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Very good! I enjoyed watching !

Post Thanks / Like

Great videos. Thanks for sharing.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Very impressive videos. Thank you for taking the time to do this for us hardcore guys. The more information provided always raises more questions. You mentioned Opticoat, it seems that Opticoat would last longer due to the composition of Opticoat vs the mix you made up, I really don`t know. Does Opticoat have UV blocking abilities? A year warranty seems reasonable, especially for $60. I would charge $50 per headlight.lol. Can a mobile guy get similar results? I see more BMW and Mercedes lights looking bad. It could be because I have been looking at more BMWs and Mercedes lately, but you would think that the owners of high dollar cars would take care of them better and they would be more likely to be garaged. What, in your opinion, is the best way to maintain your headlights pre and post repair? Again let me thank you for making these informative videos. I really learned a lot about something I thought I already knew a lot about.

Post Thanks / Like

Opticoat makes a product called OPTI-lens for headlights. There is a thread on AG comparing this Spar method to the Opticoat and from what I`ve read the Spar is winning. The cost of the opti is like $60 for 10 cc, pretty crazy. I do this mobile, just tape is off the paint. I don`t use my pneumatic tools but a drill instead. I will also sand by hand. Some guys use a drill to sand but I never felt comfortable doing that. I`m thinking about getting the Flex Kompact for headlights and glass. Maybe sell my big dewalt, I don`t use it much as a polisher. From what I`ve seen the BMW community always has terrible lights. I think it has more to do with the manufacturing then the owners maintenance. Pre repair I would just wax regularly and/or use the Meg`s sealant I show in my video. Even doing this to my 2012 Mazda I still will notice a little UV damage pop up every once in awhile on the top of the lens. This FL sun is no joke. I just hit it with the PlastX on my drill pad and it magically goes away. Seems I need to do this about once a year. After the Spar has been applied I wouldn`t use anything abrasive on it. Just straight wax or sealant. $50 per lens would be great if I could get it. If I`m moving I can do both in 1.5-2 hours so $30+ and hour ain`t bad. The polish Package that I charge $20 for takes all of 30 minutes.

Jacksonville Auto Detailing - Home
    Sweat The Details
    I may be slow, but I do poor work.

Post Thanks / Like

Great videos ..
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

I am using a similar UV product that is already pre made and goes on the same way with a blue shop towel.The difference is it dries faster and barely any working time at all. It requires 2 coats and I use a UV heat lamp to cure. Its harder to get on correctly but I appreciate that rarely have I had dust or particles get on before drying.

I always sand the entire old UV coat off before applying unless it has not broken down or started to peel. Like you said it can be very time consuming and I use much coarser grits to start.

I thought full headlight restoration would be quite easy but I am finding some cars are insanely challenging with extreemly hard UV coatings. Cleaning them up with polish and protecting with sealant is so much easier!

I am going to pass on Chevy Silverado if one comes my way again!

There is a very good headlight restoration forum I have learned a ton if you are interested.

Its nice to see someone as fussy as I am although its probably to our detriment!LOL
    Prayer of St.Francis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ni2...endscreen&NR=1
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Thread Information