Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammo nyc

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ammo nyc

Quote Originally Posted by heisenberg View Post
    Thanks. Was going to put a thumbs up smiley in here but apparently Autopia doesn`t have one.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    Thanks. Was going to put a thumbs up smiley in here but apparently Autopia doesn`t have one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ec90 View Post
    I would say his lower volume causes higher prices. Also it`s a very easy to follow process and line of products that he offers. I`ve liked the ones I`ve tried.
    It just shows that some people`s buying criteria is not just price. This is why many companies do not complete on price (can be a race to the bottom).

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmnewton View Post
    I have come more and more to the conclusion that Mike Phillips doesn`t know what the heck he`s talking about.

- Patrick
    ?

Disagree. Mike knows a lot. He`s able to wrangle like 5 random dudes with various levels of experience to polish out (sometimes wet sand) an entire car using like every product AG sells in the AG garage, and get great results consistently.

Besides being a great detailer, he`s excellent at teaching and organizing people and projects.
    Likes XxBoostinxX, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I do not care for some detailer`s style on youtube (how they present themselves and information they provide) but that does not mean they do not know anything.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Likes vanev, uniquedetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    ?

Disagree. Mike knows a lot. He`s able to wrangle like 5 random dudes with various levels of experience to polish out (sometimes wet sand) an entire car using like every product AG sells in the AG garage, and get great results consistently.

Besides being a great detailer, he`s excellent at teaching and organizing people and projects.
    I agree. Mike definitely knows his stuff. At least Meguiar`s and Autogeek seem think so also. I don`t think he really pushes one product over another either. Every video he is using something else that PBMG has to offer. He does this to show that he can get the same results using a wide variety of products. Maybe that`s why his saying is, "Find something you like and use it often".
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    I agree. Mike definitely knows his stuff. At least Meguiar`s and Autogeek seem think so also. I don`t think he really pushes one product over another either. Every video he is using something else that PBMG has to offer. He does this to show that he can get the same results using a wide variety of products. Maybe that`s why his saying is, "Find something you like and use it often".
    I never thought about it like that. Does make sense, I`ve seen him say that a lot.

I know someone else said it, and I want to make it clear. I was not saying that I don`t think Mike knows his stuff. I don`t know enough to judge that anyway. He is a good teacher and it works, it`s just I prefer a different style. If I were in person learning from him I`m sure it`d be awesome because I can ask questions to a human... I guess I could ask the computer but that wouldn`t help me much. I would hope Mike knows his stuff... I bought his book. lol

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that was clear. I`m not sure if that`s how anyone took what I said but just to be safe.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.
    Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

They are both great detailers, alot of Larrys stuff is common sense/thinking about things a bit more in depth. I think the way he does, rip every process apart an see how to optimize an perfect it. A perfect example is trick I`ve been using for years. When painting a touch up, tape around the scratch as tight as possible so it fills directly and thus give you a way cleaner and flusher result. He made a video on it with a G55. The result was awesome, as I`ve had the same plus no sanding down excess paint runs an res.
    Likes vanev liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Patrick - without a doubt, the stupidest comment I have ever read on any detailing related site!!! YOU WIN TODAY`S DARWIN AWARD!!!!!

Mike Phillips doesn`t know what the heck he`s talking about. - Patrick
    Likes XxBoostinxX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to also keep in mind, is when the videos were posted. I`ve even seen Mike Phillips change the way he does certain things (like car washing) over the years.

I take what I can from both these gentlemen, as well as others, and see what works for me. Sometimes I tweak things to suit my needs better.

And FYI, Larry (last I checked) isn`t pushing his compound/polish at the moment. He`s actually using Meguiar`s products

Post Thanks / Like

I have come more and more to the conclusion that Mike Phillips doesn`t know what the heck he`s talking about.

- Patrick
    Not sure I could come up with a more absurd post I`ve ever read on here
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes XxBoostinxX, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Larry Kosilla (or better said, his videos) got me into car detailing. I`m far from being an expert, but I love his concise and clear way of explaining things. Many videos one can find on YouTube serve either to sell products or to provide some detailers with a way to let everybody know how wonderful they are. I guess everybody develops his personal style over time and there are also different ways of doing things. That doesn`t necessarily mean that any of them are wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Like many/most here, I`ve watched my fair share (or more) of youtube detailing video`s.

I can`t/won`t speak to products `being pushed` or pricing. Frankly, for the most part, everybody loves the ones (products) they`re with if only perhaps to justify spending so much hard earned cash buying it/them.

I will say that like most things, there`s many ways to achieve a desired outcome...and not all ways will agree with everyone. I was recently watching one of his car wash video`s where he uses three buckets and does the wheels first (with a dedicated bucket)... but I thought (and do) the wheels last and just use my two buckets. Is he right and I`m wrong? Well, I don`t really think so - his way works, but I think mine does too...
    <so there you go>
    Likes House of Wax liked this post
    Thanks House of Wax thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    Off the top of my head...

I`ve noticed he can move the polisher pretty quickly at times. Another one which I don`t really question so much is in his microfiber video he says he uses 300-350 GSM towels for pretty much everything. I have read a hundred people going crazy over high GSM towels and I`ve even seen people that say they won`t touch paint with that "low" of a GSM. Last thing I can think of right now is La

I kind of agree with Larry on the GSM of towels. I find a good quality 300-350 towel will perform just as well as 400+ GSM. but also it depends on what type of paint you are working on. If you run into a really soft paint, i would reach for 400+ gsm just to be safe.

I think Larry reaches out to the younger detail crowd because of the type of cars and "swag" he puts out, and just the way he talks is very direct and informative. I find AG and Mike P to be the "older" generation of detailing.. maybe its just me? When I get on the AG forum, the looks and feel of it just screams 1990s. Not that I dislike the older guys, they have tons of knowledge but some tend to be stuck in that generation or style.

I prefer autopia because its a good mixture of old school and trending.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiVor View Post
    does the wheels first (with a dedicated bucket)...
    For maintenance washes (meaning wheels not bad), I usually do wheels and wells last with the residue soap. I will either redress the tires or use Mothers Back to Black to clean them then dress.

What is the right way depends on your goals and one should approach every wash based upon the needs to get the job done such as degree of a rinseless wash. It is not a crime to use a hose to knock off the big stuff (as long as local water laws allow) and then use a rinseless wash. The goal is to get the vehicle clean in a safe manner. You may have issues with some who claim you cannot claim a car can be washed with rinseless ever so you will never satisfy them but then it is not their car.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Likes vanev liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information