Post Thanks / Like

Scratch and swirl remover

I need something that I can use on a couple of specific scratch and then on the entire car for swirl`s. I have ssr 2.5 but am not getting good results. I have thought about going down to NAPA and getting come DACP. I have scratch X but did not want to do the entire car. I also have heavy duty compound and DO NOT want to do that on my black car.

:boohoo What are my options?
    2008 Black Sap. Bmw 535i Speed
    2008 Jet Black Bmw X3 3.0 si
    email bimmerclubnc@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratch and swirl remover

Typically something that is really good on individual scratches is not designed to be used on the whole car. You aren`t looking for one product here. Grab some ScratchX for the spots and then use an appropriate swirl remover for the rest of the car. Scratches are not swirls even though swirls are scratches. There are definite advantages to using specific products for both. I`m a Meguiar`s man myself, and I always get good results with DACP for swirls and ScratchX for scratches that don`t need touch up paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    Typically something that is really good on individual scratches is not designed to be used on the whole car. You aren`t looking for one product here. Grab some ScratchX for the spots and then use an appropriate swirl remover for the rest of the car. Scratches are not swirls even though swirls are scratches. There are definite advantages to using specific products for both. I`m a Meguiar`s man myself, and I always get good results with DACP for swirls and ScratchX for scratches that don`t need touch up paint.

do you apply the scratch x by had or a pc. I can get some results with the scratch hand but have never tried it on the pc. If you use it on the pc what pad. I have white, orange and black lc pads.

If I use the DACP then I can move straight to a sealer like ex-p or s100 right? Or would I need to VM it and then seal .,

Post Thanks / Like

DACP and 2.5 are pretty close.

You will most likely want to follow DACP or 2.5 with a lighter polish,

How are you using the product and what color pad, how much pressure are you placing on the PC? I found i was able to get almost all swirling out with 2 passes, maybe 3 on auto scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

DACP isn`t going to do much for scratches that 2.5 cannot take out.

You may want to try one of 3m`s light cut rubbing compounds, which any hazing left by can be taken out with the 2.5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corey S.
    DACP isn`t going to do much for scratches that 2.5 cannot take out.

You may want to try one of 3m`s light cut rubbing compounds, which any hazing left by can be taken out with the 2.5.
    I am trying to have little to no hazing. Just because I dont think I will be able to remove it.

I tried the 2.5 with a white pad with little to no results, so I will do the orange pad with the 2.5. Hopefull it will work. I am going to start on the trunk lid because its got several scratches in it. I dont want to tackle something like the hood until I have the combo down.

IF I do get hazing how can it be removed. I have VM and 3m swirl mark remover for dark cars.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

if you get hazing from SSR2.5 with an orange pad, then go over it again with the white pad and it will take it out...you may also need a couple passes with the orange pad if these scratches are deeper than you think...either way, then follow with the white pad...some finishes are harder to repair than others and sometimes many passes will be needed unless you step up to a rotary. Then when you feel like you are where you want to be, moveon to a final polish and the LSP`s
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy
    if you get hazing from SSR2.5 with an orange pad, then go over it again with the white pad and it will take it out...you may also need a couple passes with the orange pad if these scratches are deeper than you think...either way, then follow with the white pad...some finishes are harder to repair than others and sometimes many passes will be needed unless you step up to a rotary. Then when you feel like you are where you want to be, moveon to a final polish and the LSP`s

thank you very much. I did not know to go back over it with the white pad.

man I am seriously thinking about letting a pro get the finish like glass and then I can just manage it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am assuming that you do not have a lot of scratches ... If that is the case, then I would try rubbing those out by hand using a cotton cloth (Cotton terry will work but is more aggressive than a cotton diaper or pure cotton tee shirt) and first try SSR 2.5 and if needed step up to the Scratch-X. Do not use real heavy pressure when rubbing. Any hazing that you get from rubbing should be able to be removed with the PC. Try a small spot first from hand rubbing to final polishing to develop your process. Sometimes it is better to use more than one method when correcting a finish. It you have a lot of scratches, then as you said maybe find a pro with a rotary to take care of it the first time and then maintain it yourself.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Thread Information