I miss my 03 Cobra...... 03COBRA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Today`s Detail v.First detail for money

Well it finally has come and gone. As some of you know, I detailed a friend of my GF`s Accord after she was served with divorce papers around X-mas. Well her sister saw her car a little while after I did it and was pretty happy with the results. So I was contacted to do the work, and today was the day.

I wasn`t really sure what I was getting into with this one. All that I knew was that they were up in Tahoe acouple of weeks ago, and they had not washed it since, or for how long before the trip. So I went and picked up the car this morning. As I pull up I notice quite a bit of brake dust on the rear wheel, but then I took a look at the front wheel and almost past out! The amount of brake dust was very impressive, I would have had to guess the wheel was silver, but no way to know for sure. Paint had a lot of water spots, your typical spider swirls.

To top everything off, about an hour after I dropped the car back off at her house, I got a call from her sister (Accord) to let me know they her best friend, and brother in law want me to do their cars as well, toal of 4 cars. So needless to say I am pretty excited about the weeks and months ahead.

I decided on the #83/#80 combo and was very impressed. The #80 leaves a very deep wet reflection without a paint sealant. Afer I was done with the polishing, I pulled the car out of the garage to look at it. I was very impressed, then I thought wait, I have not even sealed the paint yet. Very impressive combo, no wonder so many pros like #80, especially on black paint!! I did get some hazing from the #83, #80 took good care of that!

My Process:
    --Wash w/Poorboy`s Super Slick & Suds
    --Clay (Mother`s) w/Meguiar`s Last Touch for lube
    --Meguiar`s #83 DACP Via PC and LC 7.5" yellow concaved cutting pad
    --Meguiar`s #80 Via PC and LC 7.5" white concaved polishing pad
    --Poorboy`s EX w/Carnauba by hand w/Pakshak yellow foam applicator
    --Finish Kare FK1 Pink Wax by hand w/Pakshak yellow foam applicator

--Poorboy`s APC (8:1) wheels, lower panels, wells
    --Poorboy`s bug squash remover (3:1)(Prototype) front bumper, grille, hood
    --Interior cleaned w/Poorboy`s APC (8:1)

--BnB on tires, wells, trim
    --303 on interior

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Today`s Detail v.First detail for money

Post Thanks / Like

Great detail! Guess ya like that Pink Wax alot!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Woob
    Great detail! Guess ya like that Pink Wax alot!
    That might be an understatement. I have gotten rid of my #16, Paste Glaz, Souveran for this stuff. You just can`t beat the stuff. It has such a unversal appeal as far as color. The price is aswesome, the jar makes it easy to apply. It`s just a lot of fun to use. I now have their sealant to try, so I will let you guys know when I get a chance to use it! Maybe Saturday!

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Today`s Detail v.First detail for money

I was under the impression that #80 left some hazing as well. Are you using a PC or Rotary, also if Rotary what RPM`s? Is the PB APC a good product for cleaning rubber and interior surfaces? Thanks, black is always hard for me!

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Great job. nthespot
    My rides :shift
    1999 F-150 149,000
    2000 Mercedes E320
    2001 Ford Windstar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 03COBRA
    That might be an understatement. I have gotten rid of my #16, Paste Glaz, Souveran for this stuff. You just can`t beat the stuff. It has such a unversal appeal as far as color. The price is aswesome, the jar makes it easy to apply. It`s just a lot of fun to use. I now have their sealant to try, so I will let you guys know when I get a chance to use it! Maybe Saturday!
    Wow! Would you say the look is wet / glossy? Mix of both worlds? I like having other waxes around though (even if it hurts my wallet) since you can play around with ALOT of sealants! Great to hear your preference though.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!

You definately started off well.

That`s what it`s all about. Do a thorough job time in and time out and customers will see that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Ferrari Man
    I was under the impression that #80 left some hazing as well. Are you using a PC or Rotary, also if Rotary what RPM`s? Is the PB APC a good product for cleaning rubber and interior surfaces? Thanks, black is always hard for me!

Andrew
    From what I understand is it can as well. I know GSRstilez in one of his posts said he got some with #80with the rotary. But from other they use it after #83 with great results, I find that to be true! #80 is abrassive, but it breaks down real nice and leaves a very glossy finish. I use the PC by the way, rotary near future!

The Poorboy`s APC is very nice, it did a great job on cleaning shoe scuffs on the lower plastic panels inside, the dash, and door panels. The best part about their APC is the smell. It by no means it smells good, it`s just a little better on the old sniffer as far as strength. It has a clean smell, but a lot less chemical smell than Meguiar`s APC

Surprised no interest in the Poorboy`s Bug Squash remover!

Post Thanks / Like

Do tell about the PB Bug Squash remover

With #80 via rotary on some finishes I notice hazing. Weird thing is, it has been mostly foreign vehicles. Ford and GM vehicles seem to respond great to it. I always found this interesting.

The PB APC is very good, but I still have some more testing to do with it. A product to completely remove those scuff marks in almost no time flat...Goof-Off! It will definatley dry out the surface so I usually follow up with the APC mix, then my protectant of choice.

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSRstilez
    ...Goof-Off! It will definatley dry out the surface
    I would be careful with that, I have damaged trim with goof off in the past. I now use 0000 steelwool and APC, works just has good and is chemically gentler.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like

The bug squash it pretty amazing. I recieved as a sample from Poorboy`s and this was the first time I have had a chance to use. I washed the entire vehicle. But after I was done I noticed some bugs on the front edge of the hood. So I went over and grabbed the bug squash and sprayed a liberal amount on the surface. I let it sit for about a minute, then went over it again with the wash mitt. The bugs were gone, I was very impressed at how well it did, and I was using a ratio of 3:1. I will have to do some more testing to give a real accurate opinion, but for now I am very please with it!

2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Work!!!
    2002 Torch Red Corvette (Mine)
    1998 Carmine Red Corvette (Dad)
    2003 Ford Lightning (Dad)
    2005 Honda Civic(Brother)
    2004 Acura RL (Mom)

Thread Information