Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Amateurs. Take HEART!

I own a Black Hyundai Santa Fe. Bought in November, 2002. A black car is a career, and I looked to Autopia for hints. Research led me to Platinum. Very nice, indeed. At 45 degrees is was a challenge to apply, but the results were very nice, indeed. Next was the hype on the ClearKote products. Naturally I had to try them - Vanilla Moose and Moose Wax - very nice, indeed. Then it was S100. Outstanding! But, now I was accumulating a lot of layers of these various nostrums.

Today I broke the bonds of hype and started over.

Being an amateur, I looked for the "retail" solution to getting my Black Santa Fe (The paint is not nearly as refined as my daughter`s M350).

MOTHER`S!! Phase 1, Pre Wax Cleaner. Phase 2, Sealer and Glaze. Bought at Pep Boys for $12 and change.

After the Pre Wax Cleaner, I thought that it can`t get better than this, but I persevered. On to Phase 2, Sealer and Glaze. Oh boy! For six bucks, this is a DEAL! Black, expecially Hyundai Black, is a real bear to get some semblance of freedom from swirls - spiderwebs or whatever. Phase 2 did the job. Now I don`t wince when I look at the hood from an angle.

To protect this nice look, the next step was a coat of S100 Paste Wax purchased at the local Harley dealership for $14.95 plus tax.

So, for $28 or so, I have a car that I am proud of. No shipping charges, no $200 PC (with pads and accessories) Just a nice shiney car and about three hours time.

Amateurs. Take HEART

Boss_429
    Ray,

I agree! Given the proper paint prep, Turtle Wax would look great on a vehicle........... even black. It may not shine as well as another product, or be as wet, or deep, or glossy, or last as long, but it would probably look fine. However, you would have to have two vehicle with the same paint condition, with the same paint prep................... side by side to know the difference between it, and another product!

You down with UPP?
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Boss Man. I used Megs 3 step when I started out and have since switched to the AIO and UPP. I had a heck of a time on my own Jeep hard top (BLACK). My hard top has been my enemy for quite some time now and I finally had success with UPP. I had used Megs consumer 3 step for so long that I can say I knew what the results would look like. After using AIO and UPP on my Jeep for the first time I could tell the difference. I think that you get what you pay for although in the right hands a good detailer can make good use of whatever product he has on hand. The difference is how long the protection lasts.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Post Thanks / Like
    I also agree with BossMaster and Squirrel_429 ooops Boss_429 and SquirrelMaster...sorry guys

Prep is THE single most important part of a detail. If you read Guru Reports, you`ll see how a wax costing between $.99 and $2.99 literally beat the pants off waxes costing over $100. The surface the waxes had been applied to had been clayed & polished...basically brought up to `better than new` standards. With a surface so prepped, the "dollar store cheapie wax" is a great performer.

Along the same lines, you could take some $180. Zymol and put it straight onto a car that has only been washed. It`s going to look like crap.

What makes the difference? The prep work. You had that point proven to you when you followed ALL of the `steps` of the Mother`s 3-step. Before you applied the wax, you had properly prepped the paint. If you hadn`t and gone straight to step 3, the wax, your results would have been nowhere near what they were.

Happy waxing..
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Thread Information