Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

parents just dont understand

due to financial difficulties i had a late christmas present from my father. he have me 350 cash. i bought 3/5lb protein powders to stock up for the season which took my first hundred away

spent 100 dollars on autogeek todai ordering some spray and wipe and other poorboys products.

and just now i spent 70 bucks on a 12 gallon 5.0hp wet/dry vac from home depot. i really needed one. tired of hesitating to go to the gas station and having my carpet look like doodoo. im still left with 80 bucks.

i showed my mom all the stuff i bought and instead of a "right on" i got a hell of a scolding. now before i begin mind u, that i work after school at her office, have money in the bank, and im still in highschool. so i took this 350 and felt like going crazy. she on the other hand starts saying that i have anough car stuff and that im just wasting my money. that i need to control my wallet and this and that. my argument was, "what is it i have to pay, i dont own a house, i dont have a wife or kids, would u rather me spend it on drugs or at clubs. no! i spend it on my hobby"...

well yeah that was it but i just wanted to vent and give a lil early week rant!

bye

Post Thanks / Like

Re: parents just dont understand

I make all of my money on my own as well, am finishing up college this May to go to grad school, and I still hear the same arguement. My parents even thought I was crazy for ordering all of the free products from Autogeek so dont feel alone! I just hope that the protein powder was NitroTech!

Git R Done
    Post Thanks / Like

For real. I understand what your going through. Im a college student living at home and everyone from my mom to my girlfriend get on my case every week and each day in the week when ups comes to deliver my autogeek, PAC orders ......lol
    ~D-LOC~ `04
    2002.Honda.Accord//tafetta.white

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, I know what you mean. I`ve been scolded so many times by my father cos of the stuff I order. Of course, I understand him, considering the exchange rate here. My mom is quite happy; she`d rather have me clean the cars than do nasty stuff

Post Thanks / Like

joyriide,
    My neighbors son had the same problem with his father when he spent close to $2,000 on a super charger for his Mustang. He was told that he is wasting his money. The person that was being yell at was a NYC cop.

You`ll just have to face the fact that this will continue to happen as long as you live the your parents, and then your wife or your girlfriend will do the same afteryou move out

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

dude, want an easy solution?

Detail the crap out of her car with your stuff.
    My old man was skeptical about my buying car stuff, but i wowed him on two seperate occasions with the old detailing prowess, and now he offers me money to do his car/ buy me products i need.

He even encourages me to break away from my detailer to do my own pro work exclusively.

Do her car, itll keep her quiet
    Come on bro, just gimme some of them bubbles, aw bro, why you gotta be so shellfish?

Post Thanks / Like

Josh has a good point. Make a huge profit off of what you got and then showing your parents that can`t hurt either. Look around school for people who need details and you`ll be able to make your money back in a week or two.
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking as one of the those "parents", I think Josh and Tubafeak have given some very practical advice. You might point out that your "hobby" maintains the value of a very high priced investment....your car and hers, if you detail it for her. You also had a very excellent point that you maintain your other goals of having a job and saving your money. The money was a gift..there is nothing wrong with spending it the way you have....I was rather impressed by your choices. Remember that parents are human beings just like yourself and they make mistakes in their interactions with their kids on occassion. There is no detailed set of instructions for parenting like those that can be obtained on this site for your car. My 19 yr old daughter has chosen to invest her efforts in college thus far in studying acting....a field with very unpredictable job opportunites....and though I am very proud of her efforts and her ability to get parts in everything she has auditioned for, I worry about her future ability to support herself and would feel more SECURE MYSELF if she studied something that would provide a more stable job. It wasn`t until she told me that one of her goals was to prove to me that she could earn a living in theater that I realized my mistake. I told her that the most important in life in "proving" things was to "prove" them to yourself and not others, including her parents, in becoming a competent, sucessful adult. You may never get your mom to change her opinions of spending money on detailing, but it sounds to me that you have found value and worth in your "hobby" that you can take pride and accomplishment in. You may just have to grit you teeth and bear it whild you live under your mother`s roof.

Post Thanks / Like

also speaking as a parent, i find it great that you have a passion for something , being it detailing or whatever, i had a devil of a time trying to motivate my daughter to do anything other than hang out with friends and get into trouble, you sound like a respectable young person and should be proud of yourself as i am sure your parents are, they will come around when they put more thought into it, sometimes as a parent we speak before we really think and i am sure it will be all good in the end, now is the time to really shine and show your talents
    "at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box"

Post Thanks / Like

Take it all back and go buy some booze and crack and see how they feel then. LMAO

Just let it roll off your shoulders man. Not worth getting upset about it and remember they are your parents and they do love you and put food in your mouth and a roof over your head.

As for the protein supplements go... www.saveonsupplements.com is where I get all of mine from. Much cheaper than a GNC or local shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Yet another parent weighing in . . .

I think you may have missed a clue to your Mom`s behaviour in the first line of your post "due to financial difficulties i had a late christmas present from my father".

Is it possible that your Mom`s reaction was due to the effort that she knew it cost your Dad to give you a gift that generous? And when she saw what you had used it for, she did not think that you had made wise decisions? Parents have bad days too, & sometimes our reactions are not just to the immediate situation, but come from a lifetime of learning. I`m sure that she only wants what is best for you, and for you to be happy, but people who are not interested in detailing, just don`t understand why you "need" so many products for the "same" thing.

I agree with the others here who say use your skills, knowledge & products on her car & show her what you can do with them. Just don`t expect her to fully understand the subtleties.

Good Luck!!
    Don`t it always seem to go, you don`t know what you`ve got til it`s gone?
    WAC
    06/04/40 ~ 07/16/07

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yet another parent weighing in . . .

Although not the greatest thing to do, run home, grab package, run to room, rip open and hide products. I don`t think my family has really realized how much I`ve spent, but its all for a good cause in the end!

I suggest you just build what you enjoy.

Professional Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Norahcrv. Great perspective!

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know about you guys, but if I gave my son some money for a holiday or something and he went out and spent it all on car care products... I think that might just be the proudest moment of my life. I`m surprised that you got out of Autogeek only spending $100 bucks. Everytime I go shoping online I end up with a $300 shopping basket.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above and think it is great that you are doing something fun and constructive. As far as hiding product from Parents.....Great Idea.....I still hide them from my wife. Please don`t tell her!!!!!!!

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information