Post Thanks / Like

Question MF towel use and re-use question

Hi,

Couple of quick questions regarding uses of Micro fiber towels, proper care, cleaning and re-use of them.

- They are used for drying a car, right?

-What about that Absorber special towel?

-Anyone use their air compressor and or shop vac to help with the drying?

-are they used for the APPLICATION of any products, paint cleaners, glaze, waxes. Or should special pads be used for this.

-They are used for rubbing out applied products by hand, right? Folding over and turning over to keep clean surface showing, right?

-And you should NOT use the same towel to rub out different compounts, right?

-They can be washed right?, and re used. NO fabric softner, right? What about drying in the dryer?

-Sorry for the dumb questions.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There are no dumb questions:D

mf has many uses depending on size and nap

Waffle weave and real big towels are great for drying....the Absorber is also great I have many of them and even the originals that were actually hydrawipes..they changed unfortunately...I wash them with my mf and have had them better than 15 years now...ugly yes but still soft and absorbant for drying.

I like using plush mf for applying polishes and cleaners including QD`s and waterless washes, but for removing them I prefer a very tight weave and super soft silky mf that leave no nap mark behind as you are removing products.

I also try not to use the same mf for different products, ususally you`ll see me smell each cloth to double check what is was used for.

NEVER EVER USE A MF FROM WHEELS ON YOUR PAINT....there are pieces of metal from brake dust imbedded in the mf...separate these

As far as washing goes ...no softeners or bleach....I like to line dry them over a shower rod ..or completely clean out your dryer to remove any softener sheet residue and use low or no heat.

Hoped it helped answer your questions

Steve
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Never had any luck with the Absorber. It feels like a big sponge to me and it grabs at the paint too much. The blue waffle-weave MF is a quantum leap forward in drying. I actually almost enjoy drying the car now. I do the glass first just to get a bit of moisture into the towel and it works amazingly well. I also love the high-quality MF towels for QD sprays. Cotton always seems to streak, but MF just leaves a perfect final finish. They are also great for wax/polish removal too - don`t forget interior glass. I wash mine in the machine with Dawn or Tide liquid without the special bleach or Spring Fresh scent. Just regular old Tide. I also dry in the dryer at low heat and switch to no heat when they get fairly dry.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

MF Towels are good, but......

While I really like the MF towels for removing polish, wax or sealant, I would just as soon grab a cotton terry towel for drying, QD`ing or windows. The Absorber also works pretty good for me. IMO, one mistake that is often made is drying a vehicle that isn`t totally clean. If your drying tool is getting dirty, you didn`t get your vehicle clean when you washed it.
    My cotton towels and my MF towels are machine washed after each use even though they may still look clean.
    The MF towels are nice to have and use, but I`m not quite ready to throw all my cotton towels away just yet.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    absolutely Charles....I still use cotton for jambs and wheels and sometimes with polishes for very oxidized or heavily scratched vehicles as a first time over a finish. Remember mf is not that old..about three years for most people and we detailed vehicle for only 100 before them with some pretty awesome results and some pretty Sh#tty products too..

Jayhawk fan.
    Post Thanks / Like
    For drying I prefer a real chamois or better yet a Water Sprite. The Absorber leaves a few more streaks compared to the Sprite I think. I also like the large MF drying towels that are getting popular.

For removing products like compounds, polishes, or waxes I use a different towel for each step sometimes, it just depends on what im useing.

One thing I have learned is that MF is AWESOME on glass. I used to have trouble with streaks BUT I found they were new MF`s and hadnt been washed yet. After a good washing and line dry I found that a MF with any window cleaner leaves excellent results! I NEVER wash the window towels with the polsih/wax MF towels and I air dry them with no trouble. A washed and dry MF seems to be better than a new one for some reason.

About using air while drying I have tried the leaf blower trick with success. I dont do it everytime but an electric leaf blower seems to be a handy way to get the water out of the little places that are hard to reach, like inside side mirrors and such.

About applying products with a MF. I have some MF applicators that I LOVE. I bought a Klasse kit last year that had 2 MF applicators included and I have been in love ever since. They are perfect for applying sealants and not scratching the paint.

John

Boss_429
    The Absorber is a pretty good tool. I do like the Water Bandit a little better. The new waffle weave MF towels used in concert with the Absorber/Water Bandit really make short work of drying if you wish to use them. I still like my 100% cotton towels for drying though, but I`m starting to use the MF`s more and more.

I hand wash all my towels with Dawn, no bleach or fabric softener, rinse really, really, really well, and then air dry. Shouldn`t hurt to dry them in a dryer at low temps though.............. but not high temps as the fibers can melt.

For application of products, I still like foam.

I like Poorboys tip on removing products with MF`s. The tight weave, silky soft MF`s are really nice for removing waxes, and sealants. Except, I find the tight weave are also better suited for QDing, as I feel the plush ones soak up to much QD. Although, I do like using the plush ones for removing polishes, and "oily" or "streaky" products. However, like Charles, I`m not ready to throw away my cotton just yet. Still prefer them for removing some waxes, sealants, and for drying and QDing. As a matter of fact, my new prefered method to remove waxes/sealants, is to take one or two swipes with a cotton towel to remove the bulk of the residue, and then buff off the remaining residue with the tight weave MF`s. However, if you do this, and over-use the cotton towel, the MF will start to pick up lint from the cotton.

Anyway, in my mind, the secret is to use plenty of clean, quality towels when detailing. If a towel gets a little dirty, or loaded with product, grab a fresh one.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a few comments

Just thought I would throw out a few thoughts on some of the comments in the discussion.

1. "NEVER EVER USE A MF FROM WHEELS ON YOUR PAINT....there are pieces of metal from brake dust imbedded in the mf..."

I have never been able to use my MF towels on wheels. They just seem like they are too good to be used for wheels.

2. "Never had any luck with the Absorber."

I like it, but its main value for me is to remove lots of water, by blotting, so I don’t use quite as many towels when drying a vehicle.

3. "Remember MF is not that old..about three years for most people and we detailed vehicle for only 100 before them with some pretty awesome results and some pretty Sh#tty products too.."

Kind of wish you hadn’t brought that up. Just realized, I have been doing it for about 56 years.

4. "I NEVER wash the window towels with the polish/wax MF towels and I air dry them with no trouble."

Interesting. I just throw them all in together. I do wash the MF separately from the cotton. When using them, I just grab what is on top of the pile.

5. "For application of products, I still like foam."

Me too, but the only other applicators I have tried were terry. The Viking with the handle formed into it is pretty neat. I usually manage to throw at least one of the small Meguiar’s pads on the floor each time I work on the car.

6. "However, if you do this, and over-use the cotton towel, the MF will start to pick up lint from the cotton."

Lint isn’t much of a problem for me and I really don’t know why. I don’t make any special effort to avoid it other than washing MF separate from anything else.

7. "Anyway, in my mind, the secret is to use plenty of clean, quality towels when detailing. If a towel gets a little dirty, or loaded with product, grab a fresh one."

Couldn’t agree more.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys......I`ve been wondering just what the heck to use my tight fiber polishing cloths for!! They seem so nice I hate to use them on the truck. I have used one for my pool cue shaft but couldn`t get myself to dirty one detailing the truck. I`ll try using them to remove EX when I put on the next coat and I`ll try them with QD+ this week.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles you really crack me up...you obviously have way tooooo much time on your hands..lol

Thread Information