Post Thanks / Like

How do you keep track of customers?

So I was sitting here thinking about creating a customer database, when I realized I don`t have a single clue as how to do this. What do you use? Have you created a system that works for you? Do you use any software? Paper or on the computer? Sticky notes?

The more and more I think about my own business, the more I want to focus on customer service (I`ll be posting an article about this later), so it makes sense to keep track of your customers (what services they`ve used in the past, or if they have reffered someone, ect, ect). I used to use a web-based database called UpShot. But i`m not sure how practical it would be for our detailing business`. They do have an automotive service, with some plus sides (keeping track of services, customer database, ect). When I used their service for another company I was quite impressed with it, and it allowed me to manage my time very effectively. As for pricing, I never had to pay for it (currently I`m in the process of talking to their customer service, so I`ll post later how much their services are). I believe its a pay per user per month deal.

Right now its just all on paper, but I`d like to find a better way of doing this. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you keep track of customers?

Well, it looks like its $70 a month per person, so perhaps UpShot isn`t a viable option. What does everyone else use? My wife suggested we use Excel in the meantime. Any suggestions guys/gals?

Run! Ricer Boy, Run!
    Post Thanks / Like

Microsoft Access. simple database program
    Run! Ricer Boy, Run!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a combination of Excel and the calendar feature in Outlook to keep track of my clients.

Post Thanks / Like

Microsoft Excel-I`ve created a spreadsheet on the customer w/their complete contact info., date when done, what was done w/any notes, as well as vehicle.

You might want to consider Microsoft Works. It can be done w/this software package and can be had very cheap at any computer consignment store or you might want to check ebay
    "Life isnt like a bowl of cherries or peaches....its more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow!"

Blinded me with Science rachael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Alot of people use Excel for a variety of uses, but most don`t realize the incredible data managment capabilities it has. A friend of mine is an Excel guru. I bet he would be able to put together a nice spreadsheet template designed for detailers.
    Besides customer name & contact info, vehicle details, services performed, amounts paid, dates, referral source, ... what other factors would most detailers like to have in the spreadsheet??

Post Thanks / Like

I have set up databases for customers (I`m a freelance computer tech) in both Excel and Access, but most people don`t realize that Outlook can do many of the things that people want.

Happy Holidays
    "J"

Post Thanks / Like

I have spent the last 12 years working as a sales trainer and teaching data base management for two public companies and some private ones as well. Currently I am helping to setup a prospect data base for the real estate company that I am working for.

OK enough of that, I track all my customers threw Goldmine, it will interface with about any hand help PDA, outlook, excel, you name it. I have it loaded on my desk top.

I can track the customers products that they like, what I did and charged, when the next time I should call or e-mail. I also setup bulk e-mails for specials that I run when I`m looking for biz. It can tell me how many cars I have done in any given time, how much I made, how much product I brought and how much per car that I used.
    It`s one of the best tools that I have seen on the market that can be personalized to fit about any application that you want.
    You can buy the software for about 300 bucks that will return you a life time of tracking customers
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks guys for all the great replies.

I thought I had excel but for some reason it isn`t in my massive collection of CDs. But I`ll have to get a copy and try it out (never used excel before). I`m currently making a complied book of all the tips and tricks to detailing (including templates for others to use), that I hope to be done with sometime by the end of next month (not much free time and I still need to get approval from the original authors to use their work most of it is free on the internet but I don`t want to inadvertantly peeve someone off).

rachael: That would be very very kind of you if you were to make a template for people to use.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Quicken 2005 Premier Home & Business software. Works great for me.
    "NOW IS THE TIME"

Thread Information