Post Thanks / Like

new to the forum, have some questions

hey all I`ve been into detailing for about 1 year and I had some questions.

1. What is a good buffer to buy? Ive heard a few names mentioned while reading through the threads.

2. What is a good vacuum to buy?

3. For light scratches on a black car, what product would you recommend?

4. What leather conditioner would you recommend?

5. What paint sealer would you recommend? A friend of mine uses the prolong paint seleant and swears buy it.

Thanks for the help!

Boss_429
    The PC is a fine orbital buffer.

I like my "Shop Vac" for vacuuming.

Depending on how bad the scratches are, you might want to try Meguiar`s #9, or a little more abrasive product like Meguiar`s DACP, followed with the #9.

I use Medallion leather cleaner/conditioner, and it works fine. I`ve heard good things about the Platinum leather conditioner too. I`ll be trying some when my Medallion runs out.

A lot of the guys here, including me, like the Platinum UPP for a sealant. Easy on, easy off, and a great shine. Zaino, and Klasse are also two good other sealants.

Others will be by with equally good suggestons.

Canceled his member by request
    Post Thanks / Like
    Porter Cable 7224 is the hot item these days. Variable speeds, light weight and sponge type pads. Check out Coastal Tools.

I too love my Sears Craftman Wet/Dry Vac.

There are many scratch / swirl removing products out there. The combination I use for black is
    3M Heavy Cut for deep scratches followed by 3m Light Cut ( to removes swirls and dullness produced by Heavy Cut. Than follow with a new 3M product called Machine Glaze. This is a SMR without fillers that brings the paint to a very high gloss and smoothness while removing any imperfections remaining after two previous steps. I follow this with a paint cleanser ( P21S) that has some gloss enhancing properties and finish the prep with Mother`s Sealer/Glaze. Now I have a marr-free surface, glossy, deep, and reflective surface to protect.
    There again, are many excellent protectants out there. Presently I am using Poorboy`s EX. I can not stress how good this product is. It is a resin/carnauba sealant that gives an excellent appearance. It is easy on and buffs off effortlessly ( no residue or trim staining). It only requires 20-30 mins for initial curing and one can add additional coats after a 24 hr. setting time ( fully cured) . In addition one can top with a "pure"( non-cleaning) carnauba like P21S and Souveran to deepen an already deep EX appearance.
    I have tested in the past sealants like Blackfire I and II, Zaino and Moose Wax products. All excellent products but they did not produce the "look" I desire. I just ordered the Platium sampler and will test it on another vehicle ( black LS400) with the same prep as described earlier. I will post my results soon.

Leather care: The most important care item for leather is to keep it clean. In my case a water moistened MF is sufficient
    Zymol conditioner every 6 months
    Meguiar`s leather wipes weekly
    303 Aerospace protectant and Poorboy`s Vinyl Protectant monthly.
    Love shiney swirl-free appearing black cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC 7224 is my choice of orbital polishers. I really like mine. I have a wet/dry vac from Sears with a detatchable blower so I can use it to help dry the truck, especially the areas where water collects. I don`t have a favorite leather cleaner...I`ve been using Lexol.

I was using Zaino for my sealant but then I discovered Poorboy products, fell in love with their Spray and Wipe and began using the Pro Polish followed by the EX sealant. It will be a while before I`ll be willing to try anything else! I just love the ease of application and the look of the sealant that has some carnuba in it. Great Stuff. www.poorboysworld.com is the place to go....in my opinion.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello:

Buffer - ditto (the PC)

Vacuum - Vac `N Blo

Scratches - Menzerna Intensive Polish followed by Menzerna Final Polish. (I have a black car also - my sympathies (j/k )

Leather - the Klasse vinyl/rubber/leather protectant is excellent

Sealant - Klasse All in One / Platinum Ultimate Paint Protectant.

You cant go wrong with any of these products, or most of the ones Dwayne sells on his site (i.e. - board sponsor - www.premiumautocare.com)
    "The 83-88 Monte SS - they just don`t make `em like that anymore...."

Post Thanks / Like
    I think everyone has given there input for the pc...I think they will all do nicely.

I use Craftman Wet/Dry Vac.

Leather cleaner...Pinnacle leather%&vinyl, then lexol

Leather conditioner...Imperial Leather (I stress this is the best I have used), followed by Pinnacle Leather conditioner

Rubber/Vinyl...Pinnacle, 303, and I plan on purchasing Poorboy`s Vinyl Protectant (natural billiance)

I use 3M rubbing compound(if required) and 3M smr for scratches and then follow them by Hi-temp light cut SMR (for a deep gloss).

I then live by using AIO as the base for anything else. I am currently using Poorboy EX (as blkZ28Conv and JimS have mentioned, I LIKE THIS product) on one car and layers of SG on the other.

I use Souveran and s100/ps21 as carnauba toppers to achieve that desired super wet shine (I have not done it on the EX...it looks wet already ).
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you`ve found the place to get all the best stuff...Poorboy`s will be coming to DC soon...finished labels are in the works...and everyone here and Dwayne ...Fuzz too. ...are all very helpful
    enjoy the site and ask lots of questions...

If you have little kids and the watch Sesame Street this is going to be my new motto ala Big Bird.

"Asking questions is a good way to find things out"
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv
    [B
    3M Heavy Cut for deep scratches followed by 3m Light Cut ( to removes swirls and dullness produced by Heavy Cut. Than follow with a new 3M product called Machine Glaze. This is a SMR without fillers[/B]
    When you say "Machine Glaze" i think of Meguiars Machine Glaze which is a great polish before wax.....3m has 2 SWR one for light cars and SWR for dark cars......I am getting confuse`d....which is way too easy to do..!!!

jeff

Canceled his member by request
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JeffBruce

When you say "Machine Glaze" i think of Meguiars Machine Glaze which is a great polish before wax.....3m has 2 SWR one for light cars and SWR for dark cars......I am getting confuse`d....which is way too easy to do..!!!

jeff
    Jeff,
    3M has a new product called Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (-05937). My body shop supply store recommended it to me when I went in to purchase some 3M SMR for dark cars. He stated that this product was better and can be used on any color vehicle. After using it I was quite impressed by how well it works ( high final gloss and elimination of fine swirls via elimination rather than filling ( this was not tested by me but the swirls were gone) and the lack of a powdery residue. If I was not so anal I could have stop there and just topped with EX.

3M products and website can make anyone confused .

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for everyones info. Is there a place where I could read what the abbreviations people are using ie SMR, SG,

Thread Information