Post Thanks / Like

Winter washing and UPP

How do you guys in cold locations wash your car in winter? I have 2 layers of four * UPP on, and am wondering if I can wash the dirt off my car at the diy car wash (high pressure nozzles - no brushes of course) without blowing the sealant right off the car. Trying to decide if its better to keep the car clean at the high pressure wash or just leave the dirt on until i can do it right with the buckets...

anytips, ideas?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter washing and UPP

You will probably get several opinions on this so here is mine.
    I go to a DIY wash to knock off the worst of the winter crud, then finish with Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe.
    If you don`t have access to a heated garage, that system may not work for you.

I have also done the DIY wash and finished with Quick & Easy Wash. There again, you need to have an area that is above freezing.

The Spray & Wipe method is a little easier, faster and less mess.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I have done both ...
    Personally living in the snow belt, I like to get as much of the salt and brine solution off the car as soon as possible ... so I will wash it as much as I can ... I have a heated garage so that helps. My wife visited family over part of last winter so I told her to not wash her vehicle or let anyone else do it either. It wasn`t washed for about 6 weeks and when I finally had a chance, the dirt and crap came right off. and the UPP was still on the paint. The high pressure wash should not remove UPP. It is one tough product.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the DIY wand-wash to take off the majority of salt & dirt, just remember to stand back a bit & don`t blast the paint with full nozzle pressure from 6" - 8" away. I like to stand back from the driver`s door & do the LF fender & LR quarter so the pressurized water is coming in at an angle & do the entire car this way. Only the wheelwells & undercarriage get full water pressure `cause there`s no other way & it`s needed there anyhow.

I have an unheated garage so I`ll bucket wash inside with warm soapy water & rinse by flooding warm water down the panel with a tupperware/rubbermaid 16oz cup. This minimizes the amount of water on the surface & allows me to dry it quickly. Back the car out of the garage & sweep-out as much water as possible & I`m good to go.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used the high-pressure wands at the DIY car washes and, in my experience, UPP has stayed intact.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that makes a difference in my choice of DIY wash is the use of all fresh water rather than filtering the used water and sending it through the system again.
    Ask to see the equipment room at the wash facility you use and ask about reclaimed or filtered water use. The one I use is over two years old and the equipment room is immaculate. It uses fresh water for all the cycles.
    In some areas the operator may not have a choice. Even those areas usually have a fresh water rinse and only use the reclaimed water in the soap cycle.

Charles

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

good points charles, I assumed the local DIY wash, which advertises "fresh water", was using fresh water for all cycles.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Thread Information