Post Thanks / Like

Pro`s with extractors

Heres my problem. I`m going to open a shop in Feburary or March. I`m trying to decide if I should get an extractor and which one. My local shop has two to offer me. Unless I can get a better unit at a much better price I will get it here. The shop also does the service on the unit so it could save me down time. From what I hear not many of the shops around here have them so they send the tough stuff to one of the two shops that I heard do have them. I also hear that one of the shops does very well with theirs.

So here is what I have to pick from.

The first one is the Tempest TP 18DX http://www.nacecare.com/pages/07prod...an/tp18sx.html I was told it doesn`t have a heater but now that I look at the site they say one is available. I wonder what the price is? Ok I can get this unit for $895 Canadian. The problem is I could waste a lot of time changing the water.

The other is the Malco model 1200 Xtrax Xtractor. http://www.malcopro.com/malxtrax.htm This unit is $2800.

If these were your only choices which would you chose? What unit would you pick over these two units?

Thanks for your help.

James

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pro`s with extractors

Hi there. I`m not a pro, but I purchased an Aztec Extractor. I think it works better than my bissell lil green machine. Here`s a link http://www.vaporcleanproducts.com/ho````erextractor.htm . I`m not to sure how it stacks up against some higher end models. Price was key for me. I couldn`t shell out tons since I`m a weekend operation. I ordered from Aztec direct http://www.aztecproducts.com/Product...r/overview.cfm . I got the detailing version with the 16 ft hose special detail tool and 50 ft cord.

As for wasting time changing water, the first unit has 18 gal solution and 18 gal recovery. I don`t think this will pose to big of a problem. 18 gal is quite a bit of space. At least 7-8 cars. I have 2 gals that will complete one car plus. I wouldn`t overspend unless you have the backing.

The point you made about the local shop is very good and important to consider too.

I`d spend less than $2800. I`d recommend one with heat too.

Good luck hope this is helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. That is helpful. I think your right about the heater. I like the price of that unit and we could use that in a mobile unit. I`ll have to take a really good look at this one.

James

Post Thanks / Like

Why not save some cabbage and use a good wet/dry vac to soak up the wet solution you scrub in. That is what I would do as a start out company to mininmize expenses and see what kind of market you will be in :dunno
    "Life isnt like a bowl of cherries or peaches....its more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow!"

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

That`s a good option also. I like the fact of having the proper tool for each job. Plus the time saved is worth cost. It does seem excessive for a weekend enthusiast to own such a machine but for a shop I think its important. It will sent you apart from your competition. At least around here most use well one place uses an old rental machine. Not to sure about the other local shop. It gives a good image of your business to potential clients. I like that.

Your right if one has limited clients then start small and save up. If you want to. This is Flexin vision.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the posts and the links. I too, am "one of those guys" who likes his toys. I hope that I can buy that unit soon. It looks good and durable, and perfect for the small/weekend detailer. I have an awesome wet/dry Vac (RIGID,12 or 14 gallon, 5.5 h.p) but I think in the future, a heated extractor would be a nice addition. No $$ right now, but hopefully soon.

Post Thanks / Like

If your doing this as a living, as I do, I would highly suggest getting a heated extractor. The shop vac technique is good if your looking to save some money, but you can compete with the efficiency and effectiveness of a hot water extractor. I bought my mytee lite about a year and a half ago ($800), and I can`t believe I ever did carpets without it. I`d recommend the mytee brand, I`ve had absolutely no problems with it, you just have to maintain it by running some water and vineagar through it once a week. The mytee lite is a little small for a shop, but I`m mobile so 3 gallons is perfect since I have to empty it after each use, and it only takes a minute to fill n empty. But Mytee has a lot of other options for size, check em out at mytee.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Local suopport. regardless of the brand, gt local support!

Me? I`m quite happy with the Sensei from Century 400.

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Pro`s with extractors

I would purchase a extraxtor just to save time and effort... I was in the same dilema a few months back then I got a flyer in the mail from power flight They have a 12 gallon heated unit 210 degrees 160 in of lift, and uses one plug, for $999.00 I purchased it and it works great plus they gave me 6 gallons of extractor shampoo. I had it in 7 days from purchase. Probably the best decision I have made!!!! Good luck

Jay
    DISTINGUISHED DETAILING

Work and hope, but don`t hope more than you work!

Post Thanks / Like

Thermax is the best IMO, Heats up great but my key to longevity is to use a rinse solution only in the tank. Descale every month with vinegar and water, Well worth the $$$$$$$ Has a limited life time guaranty

Note: Dont waste your $$$$$$$ on the two plug extractors

Do it right or not at all ShineShop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to be doing this and presenting yourself as a professional then you need to have an extractor. I can`t even imagine how someone can use a shop vac when they are trying to do a professional job. You need the rinsing action only an extractor can offer to fully clean the fabric when doing an interior shampoo. A shop vac will leave all kinds of soap and dirt residue behind - no matter how powerful the vacuum is. I have had several Thermax units in the past and they work great but their customer service sucks big time. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with New Again, we don`t put shampoo or anything in the water. We shampoo with a air powered rotary brush and citrus based GP, then use hot fresh water in extractor after that. Works well for us. I have a Thermax also works well but not cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

we are using a us products hhp-150 http://www.usproducts.com/hhp300in.html

seems to be a great unit--Have had it about two months now and haven`t had a minutes trouble out of it--Have a good local rep for it. only complaint is that you have to have two dedicated circuits for it. And the metal crevice tool will burn the hell out of you if your not careful. -- but for cleaning--we run about 5 or 6 a day through with it--no problems Used a mytee for a couple of years but couldn`t keep seals in it, and the local support wasn`t there. Our water in kentucky is chalked full of calcium--Weekly cleaning with vinegar is a must.

Thread Information