Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like

Klasse SG / UPP / P21S questions...

Just got my package from Dwayne (great stuff and quick shipping - Thanks!). I have some questions...

1. Does the Klasse Sealant Glaze serve the same purpose as the Platinum UPP? I have both, and am wondering which would go best over the Klass AIO I just put on. Is there a noticeable advantage or difference in appearance between these products?

2. When "layering" UPP or SG, how many coats of each are optimum? Is there an advantage to layering AIO beforehand?

3. I also received some P21S. I wonder if after I apply SG or UPP and then the P21S on top of it, will I be able to maintain the gloss factor just by reapplying more P21S later down the road? Or should I wash it and reapply more AIO, then SG or UPP, then P21S? (I use Meguiar`s Quik Detail in between to keep the dust off - my SS is mainly a garage queen - LOL).

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Brian
    "The 83-88 Monte SS - they just don`t make `em like that anymore...."

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Klasse SG / UPP / P21S questions...

Originally posted by 87 Monte SS
    1. Does the Klasse Sealant Glaze serve the same purpose as the Platinum UPP? I have both, and am wondering which would go best over the Klass AIO I just put on. Is there a noticeable advantage or difference in appearance between these products?

2. When "layering" UPP or SG, how many coats of each are optimum? Is there an advantage to layering AIO beforehand?

3. I also received some P21S. I wonder if after I apply SG or UPP and then the P21S on top of it, will I be able to maintain the gloss factor just by reapplying more P21S later down the road? Or should I wash it and reapply more AIO, then SG or UPP, then P21S?
    1. Both SG and UPP are sealants, so I guess you could say they serve the same purpose. SG has often been described as hard to use. I have never had any experience with it. The UPP is so easy to use, I don`t think I will be trying the SG to find out. The appearance of the UPP is something you need to see to believe. Try it on a section and you will know pretty quickly which you prefer.

2. AIO, being a cleaner, probably does not layer. For the main reason of being sure of total coverage, I usually apply two coats of any product. Hopefully, I don`t miss the same places twice. Two layers of UPP look great, then I just apply another coat about every 30 days. AIO is probably used about every 90 days.

3. On my wife`s GP, I use AIO as a prep and S100 as the topper. After the two initial coats, I follow the 30 day routine to apply another coat of S100. Again, the AIO is used about every 90 days.

For a garage queen, AIO yearly would most likely be more than often enough. You will probably still be using the UPP or the P21S every month, just because you can`t leave well enough alone. At least I can`t.

Charles

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Charles! Yes, you are absolutely right! I cannot walk up to the garage and just merely look at my car....I almost feel compelled to do SOMETHING to it. LOL!

So it is safe to assume that, if after I have already applied the P21S over the two coats of UPP, if I want to layer more UPP on the car at a later date, I will need to use my Platinum Car Wash to take off the wax. Will that be sufficient enough of a prep in my case for more layers?

Thanks,
    Brian

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Charles! Yes, you are absolutely right! I cannot walk up to the garage and just merely look at my car....I almost feel compelled to do SOMETHING to it. LOL!

So it is safe to assume that, if after I have already applied the P21S over the two coats of UPP, if I want to layer more UPP on the car at a later date, I will need to use my Platinum Car Wash to take off the wax. Will that be sufficient enough of a prep in my case for more layers?

Thanks,
    Brian
    Once you have applied a wax over the UPP, you can no longer put more UPP on the vehicle without removing that wax. In my case, and I think yours as well, the use of AIO will take care of any prep needed. Just washing with regular car shampoo won`t do it. This is where many people talk about the so-called Dawn wash to remove the old wax. To me, Dawn is not for washing cars. AIO seems like a much better way to remove the old wax and prepare the surface for more UPP.

Charles

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great info! I agree - Dawn is for dishes...

From now on, I will use AIO to clear the P21S and ready it for more UPP.

Many thanks, Charles. Your input is most appreciated.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    One other thing, with the Quik Detailer, it is carnauba based so I wouldn`t use it after the AIO or the UPP if you are going to add another layer. The P21S, like you I planned to use that on top of the UPP, after seeing the UPP finish which is awesome I am reluctant to add the P21S on top for the reason you point out that you will have to go through the whole process all over again. By the way the Platinum QD is great and the Quik Shine works really good with UPP, neither has carnauba.

Death to white cars!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Thomas, thanks for the info. I didn`t know that about the Megs Quik Detail.

Also, I only thought of putting the P21S over the UPP because I have heard that it adds a nice glow and some color depth for black. But when I finish the UPP step, I will decide if it really needs it. I would like to add some depth with it if its possible. I did not buy the UGE like I guess I should have... Next order... LOL!

Thanks,
    Brian

PS - one more Q.... have you applied AIO or UPP with a PC, and does it work better that way than by hand? Thanks.

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great info from Charles and Thomas. Wish I could add to it but they`ve about covered all the bases.

I`m sure you`ll be extremely happy with the AIO/UPP combo should you decide to go that route. I sure am.

Good luck and be sure to post a pic or two!

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    PS - one more Q.... have you applied AIO or UPP with a PC, and does it work better that way than by hand? Thanks.
    Yes, I have used the PC with both the AIO and UPP. If your paint is in good condition to start with, for me it is just as easy to do it by hand. Both products are very easy to use and by the time I get out the PC and clean the pads after I use it, I really don`t think I saved any time. It does help justify buying the PC.
    There are those that think you can do a better job of applying both with the PC, though.
    Just remember to use a damp applicator with the AIO and a dry applicator with the UPP. Put the UPP on very thin and let it dry for 30 to 45 minutes before removing. The AIO can be wiped off right after you put it on, but not the UPP.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

glaze?

Is there a glaze you can use that wouldn`t remove UPP?

AIO + UPP + ?????(GLAZE) + S100

Post Thanks / Like
    NHB, almost all glazes will remove the UPP, but you should know that the UPP finish is spectacular. I have used it on many different types of cars and can`t imagine any need for a glaze and I am not sure if there is any need to top it.

wayne
    Originally posted by Thomasfl
    One other thing, with the Quik Detailer, it is carnauba based so I wouldn`t use it after the AIO or the UPP if you are going to add another layer. The P21S, like you I planned to use that on top of the UPP, after seeing the UPP finish which is awesome I am reluctant to add the P21S on top for the reason you point out that you will have to go through the whole process all over again. By the way the Platinum QD is great and the Quik Shine works really good with UPP, neither has carnauba.
    Which QD is carnuba dased?
    The "red bottle" sold in Autozone and Wal-Mart has silicone, the Meg #34 "final inspection" does not.

I am assuming you are speaking on Meg`s #66 "quick detailer" product that is a cleaner/wax one step and applied with a buffer and not as we "think" of a QD as a spray, which would be Meg`s #34

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the best QD? I have some say Platinum`s others say #34 Final Inspection.

wayne
    Best QD is subject to opinion. It is mostly water...,
    I would suggest using the QD that matches your wax or sealant.
    I like #34 as it has no additives such as silicone, which could cause bonding problems when applying a sealer, so I use it a LOT and get it by the gallon(considering a gallon is about $19 and 16oz is about $6, the gallon is a better buy).
    When using Zaino, I use Z-6...
    When using Platinum, I use Platinum QD, for Klasse, I use #34 and for most other applications I use #34...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wayne, you are completely right, the quik detail does not contain carnauba, for some reason I was under the assumption that it did. It seems to be perfectly compatible with UPP, although like you I prefer the Platinum QD.

Thread Information