Post Thanks / Like

tune up on black

hey, new to the forums here, was lookin for aome advice. i have a black car and it hasnt been waxed since middle of summer. it has quite a bit of swirls from regular washing and whatnot and some little fine scrathes also. nothing real bad, but if you get up close in the light you can see this stuff. what can i do to really make it shine? i was thinkin clay bar, polish and then wax maybe? what products will i need? whats a good long lasting wax that works well on dark colors? anyone tried eagle 1 nanowax, ive heard god things about it but havent tried it myself. im not willing to spend aton of money on this stuff, im in college so moneys tight. also whats the best thing to use to dry off a vehicle after washing that wont scratch/swirl the paint? thanx.
    :drunk
    black `02 mustang gt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: tune up on black

o i should add i already have some meguiars scratch and swirl remover, not sure of the exact name of it, and then i have some mothers and meguairs caranuba cleaner wax already too. and an electric orbital buffer with some pads.
    black `02 mustang gt

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to DC to start!

A few questions.

What kind of orbital do you have?
    What color are the pads and who makes them?
    Be good to know what swril removers you have?

The basic way to improve you black car is

Wash and then clay with quick detail spray
    Swril remove with a cutting pad
    Polish with a polishing pad
    Sealant would be good here or straight to wax. Your cleaner wax would not work at this point.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

i dont remember what kind of orbital i have. you can get them at walmart for like 30 bucks though so maybe youve seen them before, just a cheap one. not sure on the pads either, though i do know there white 100% cotton terry cloth i think. the scratch remover is meguiars scratch x. thats all i can tell you know, all my stuff is back at home and i wont be back til this weekend.
    black `02 mustang gt

Post Thanks / Like

I know what buffer you have I think that best thing for you now is to go by hand.
    My preference for doing this by hand is Poorboys World products, you can see it threw the sponsors page here.

However I would start with suing a clay bar after wash to get the paint clean. Then use your swril remover work this in small areas about 12 x 12 inch areas. This will give you better pressure, and get good results. Your cleaner wax would be a good choice to clean the swril remover up and get the paint ready for wax. You cousl stop here and the car should look pretty good. I would get some good paste wax at your local auto store something that does not have cleaners in it.
    Also while getting the wax buy some foam pads to use by hand and for the swril remover I would use a cooton pad to allow more action.

I hope this helps if you would like to buy some new stuff contact Steve at Poorboy World you will find a much better lineup there but what you have will product decent results
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the vendors who host this site, they sell the finest products in the world. He he, with black you`re going to need A LOT of them
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

what kind of wax should i use? prefferably something that will last a while as it gets washed at least once a week if not twice, with a pressure washer and sometimes scrubbed down good to get rid of dirt and stuff. eagle 1 nanowax any good? i was thinkin about giving it a try. im not going to spend alot of money here so keep it cheap.
    black `02 mustang gt

Post Thanks / Like
    You could always give Meg`s NXT a shot.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

i know how it feels to be in college and trying to keep a black car clean with powerwashers. i`m in college also and have a black f-150. this past summer i clayed it and then did the 3-step Meguiars process...cleaner wax, polish and then used NXT. it looked soooooo good. It started to rain just as i was finishing so i didn`t get any pics of it but it does bring back a nice shine until you use pressure washer on it. I already had the meguiars products in my collection so i used that. This week since i`m home from college for thanksgiving break, i`m going to be using all my new products that i recently splurged on...Poorboys SSR1,SSR2, propolish, nattys wax, spray&wipe, Pinnacle clay and the PC 7336 with Meguiars pads. I will post pics before and after hopefully if the weather cooperates. good luck with keep that `Stang clean. i used to have a black 99 v6 mustang and got rid of it because i was too anal about it at college. Hopefully will be getting an `05 or `06 in future.

Post Thanks / Like

to wash i`d suggest wash, clay, qd.

to remove the swirls id go with ssr1 since u mentioned they`re light.

to polish and restore id go with AIO

and to add pretection thats all up to how u prefer your shine. but i highly suggest that regimen.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies. what should i use to wipe off the swirl remover and wax? i have some microfiber towels and some terry cloth, would that work or do i need to buy something else? and can i use my orbital buffer for anything or would it be better to do it all by hand? i know its a cheap one but wont it work for some things?

rubigdog05, i checked out some 05`s at the dealer, they are SWEET. soon as mines paid for thats my next ride unless i buy a pickup.
    black `02 mustang gt

Post Thanks / Like

one more thing, does it matter what claybar i use or will any brand work fine?
    black `02 mustang gt

Post Thanks / Like
    Your MF or terry cloth should be fine to remove residue. You could use that buffer to apply wax if you want, it won`t do much in the area of swirl removal in a short amount of time. And "any" clay won`t work...don`t go to the art store and buy it....Hahaha!! Any clay you get from an auto parts store, such as Clay Magic or Mother`s should be A-okay.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Thread Information