Post Thanks / Like

My Baby`s First Bath

After studying this forum and another for almost a month; after ordering $$ of chemicals and accessories; after asking over a dozen questions, I finally cleaned and polished my 2004 Grand Marquis. I didn`t "detail" it, per se, because that would have meant cleaning the interior, trunk, and engine. I didn`t do those things - yet. Those are reserved for other weekends.

I started on Saturday the 30th. I did all of the work in my garage, so the car never got hot. Being obese, it took me hours just to do the portion of the car I`ve supplied pics of. I didn`t finish the entire car until 11:00 Sunday morning! (I did enjoy that extra hour of sleep.)

I used a mere double-bucket of water to wash the car (clean water on one side, and sudsy/dirty water on the other). As all of my chemicals hadn`t arrived yet, I used a tablespoon of liquid All detergent in 2 gallons of water. It made a nice lubrication for my mitt. I bought 2 microsuede mitts from Top Of The Line. One to wash with, the other to rinse with. Very smooth and lint-free. I bought the $79.99 shop vac from Lowe`s, the one with the detachable blower. I used the blower to blow-dry my car.

After drying each section, I applied Four Star`s Ultimate Paint Cleanser. This was very easy, using a terry towel. I buffed it off with the same towel as soon as I applied. I only had to bear down (not too hard!) on a few rough pieces of industrial fallout (I will clay the next time!). Right after that, I applied Four Star`s Ultimate Paint Protection. This was even easier! Finally, I finished with Four Star`s Ultimate Gloss Enhancer.

I applied UPC on the interior and exterior windows, then I applied Poorboy`s EX-P on the exterior windows.

I applied Top Of The Line`s Wheel Cleaner, Wheel Polish, and Grape Tire Dressing on the wheels and tires.

As I said, I washed, rinsed, UPC`d and UPP`d one section at a time. Now that the car is protected, I`ll try to maintain its appearance regularly. I ordered some Clay Magic clay and Lube. I found out that claying is an important step in detailing a car, as my fingers detected several choice pieces of IFO that I could not remove.

It`s raining today, and boy oh boy, I never saw water move so pretty on a surface before.

And now for the before and after pics:

Before:

After:

Charles
    (tired)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Baby`s First Bath

charles that looks great, a grand marq is a big car lots of work to do, from now on its going to be easier, its always easier to maintain that it is to correct , now if you get a cold drink and pull up a chair and stare at it you will be as nuts as the rest of us
    "at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box"

Post Thanks / Like

kewl!! How did you settle on the products you selected? What swayed you I guess is my question.

looks great - I was just thinking on the drive into work that I wanted a burgundy car next time and that ford red you have is the color I had in mind. (Owned a Contour that color for a week but that`s another story.)
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dalmore
    kewl!! How did you settle on the products you selected? What swayed you I guess is my question.

looks great - I was just thinking on the drive into work that I wanted a burgundy car next time and that ford red you have is the color I had in mind. (Owned a Contour that color for a week but that`s another story.)
    Hey Dalmore! What up. I read other posters` threads, reviewing what worked the best for them with the least effort. I really went overboard anyway. In addition to the 4S products, I bought Poorboy`s EX-P (slicker`n greased goose stuff on my windows!!!!), the Klasse twins, which I plan to try out on my ol` 1988 weatherbeaten Grand Marq, some Clay Magic and Lube, some car wash, man, I don`t remember all that I`ve bought. I`ve got 4 unopened boxes of chemicals sitting inside my front door!

Ford calls that color "Dark Toreador Red". For that color for the Grand Marq, the pinstripes come in one of three choices: black, grey, or tan. I chose tan. The effect is a burgundy and gold theme, the same colors as my beloved Redskins team. More than one person has noticed the similarity. Dark Toreador Red is a metallic clearcoat. When the sun hits it a certain way, you can see all of those pretty metal flakes just a-poppin` out. Sweet.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

i recognize the toreador red, my parents have there third ford product in that color and they are very rewarding to work on and yes in the sun they look fantastic
    "at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scottlee
    i recognize the toreador red, my parents have there third ford product in that color and they are very rewarding to work on and yes in the sun they look fantastic
    I ordered this car by Internet. I hadn`t so much as seen the car until I`d signed all of the papers. When I saw it come around the corner of the dealer`s showroom, I gasped very loudly - loudly enough to get EVERYone`s attention. I said, "Wow, that`s a pretty car." To which everyone said oh yes it is. (Yeah right - they`re all Mercury employees) :lol Overall, a pleasant buying experience.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

lol, at first i just saw the before pic and i thought that was your after pic.

i laughed at myself for being a moron when i saw your after pic. Good work my friend
    and i wish i had a digi cam...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    lol, at first i just saw the before pic and i thought that was your after pic.

i laughed at myself for being a moron when i saw your after pic. Good work my friend
    and i wish i had a digi cam...
    Heh, don`t feel bad. I couldn`t tell the difference either, when looking at the pics in the camera`s viewfinder. It wasn`t until I transferred the pics to my computer that I could see the detail in them. :hah(Detail - get it?)

Among my other expenses, I had to go to Best Buy to pick up a digi cam. Hah. Pick up. Not so easy. I ended up spending $464.72 on the camera, the battery charger / docking port, a memory chip large enough to take a few hundred pics, and extra alkaline batteries. Then, I realized, after I`d taken the two pics above, that I hadn`t focused the camera! Imagine how sharp those pics would`ve been if I had!

Also notice that in the before pic, it is daylight (check out my side garage door in the background); and how in the after pic, it is night time. I am a SLOW hand at detailing!

Charles

Thread Information