Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    its naturally curly...... 6cyl's_of_fury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Worst car colours to detail?!?

I have read people who are frustrated with the constant battle to maintain the perfection of black or the difficulty of seeing a hazed product on white, but I have to say that metallic silver is by far the most painful colour for me personally. I have detailed a fair spectrum of different colours and found it to be the most frustrating colour to work with.

I find it deceptive to view, difficult to discern any scratches/swirls/marring, it seems to hide any product I missed removing ( ie hazed sealant or wax etc ). On the upside, it never seems to look dirty, but that aside, I have declared metallic silver my nemisis colour!!

What colour if any do you guys and gals dread?!? Am I alone in my quest to have metallic silver banished? :hah
    Detail your car, do it. No seriously, do it.

The Black Beast

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Worst car colours to detail?!?

To maintain and keep looking nice, Black.
    But, for the reward of doing a good job,Black.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I will have to agree with Charles on that. I had a black Tacoma that was PITA to keep looking good, but when it was done right it looked great.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6cyl`s_of_fury
    but I have to say that metallic silver is by far the most painful colour for me personally. What colour if any do you guys and gals dread?!? Am I alone in my quest to have metallic silver banished? :hah
    Amen to that

I have a silver scrap fender to practice the rotary with and I have all kinds of fits analyzing how I did, what else I can do. Night and day when I polish my maroon fender. I also washed ,clayed and applyed the Klasse twins to a new silver Impala this summer and I hated not being able to see even where I applied AIO.

I also hear silver can be a very difficult color to match up correctly if involved in a collision so never any silver cars for me and I was considering one as a beater car some day down the road.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face My vote - see my avatar!

While I agree with you on the frustrations of silver, I`d like to add my own nemesis - "metallic beige" to the list. That said, I have two cars in that colour (`04 Honda CR-V - Mojave Mist Metallic & `85 Honda Civic Wagon - Champagne Beige), and when I begged a "test hood" from the wreckers, they gave me metallic beige! It has similar problems to silver, and also does a good job of hiding the dirt & imperfections. It also seems much cooler in our AZ heat, although some would argue that colour does not make a difference in interior temperatures.

Norah

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My vote - see my avatar!

Silver is difficult but I love the sparkle, shine, and glow that a well done silver car gives off.
    2004 Solara SLE V6 - Lunar Mist/Dark Stone

Your eyes expand up to 45% when looking at something pleasing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm... I don`t seem to have any problems working with metallic silver but then my TL is SSM so it`s probably just experience.

My halogens light up imperfections when working in the garage. I don`t do much mobile so it doesn`t end up being an issue there. In fact, for those customers who are not willing to pay for defect removal, silver ends up being a very satisfying color to work with. Although I`m up front about what was removed and what wasn`t, silver typically looks better to the customer than other colors.

What I don`t like is white. it never really pops out to me, even in the pics that are posted on these sites. I guess I just don`t get the same satisfaction from the end result that I do with metallics or dark colors.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    04 ACURA TL SSM/Ebony/Navi
    PICS!! http://homepage.mac.com/maecrispy/PhotoAlbum7.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    I also hear silver can be a very difficult color to match up correctly if involved in a collision so never any silver cars for me and I was considering one as a beater car some day down the road.
    That may be but I think a lot has to do with who does the work.

Lady mashed up my silver 04 TL`s rear driver`s door 6 months ago and I had the work done by a shop in town that only work on Honda`s and Acura`s. Work was flawless and the color matches up perfectly. Of course, it`s only been 6 months but so far, I`m very happy with the work that was done.

I`m also convinced that had I had the work done by one of those shops that advertises on the front `We work on imports`, I probably would have had different results.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    04 ACURA TL SSM/Ebony/Navi
    PICS!! http://homepage.mac.com/maecrispy/PhotoAlbum7.html

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn`t very good hearing this issue with matching up silver Audi paint 100% correctly from a very reputable dealer that even does work on old Porsches imported from Germany just to have the work done there. Sounds like silver matching could be too up in the air depending, as you say, the quality of the collision center but also the auto marque itself :dunno
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a white BMW not long back hardest part of cleaning this car was getting all the dirt out of the cracks and hard to reach areas. The thing about white is it shows every dirty spot.

Hardest car to do perfect my black BMW
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Black - Hardest to remove all paint defects to produce a mirror shine

Dark Green - Gets the hottest in the sun

White - You always see specs on the paint which takes a lot of care from a clay bar

Champagne - Hard to breathe any life into this color. It just does not show well for an ultimate shine. Easy to keep clean though

Post Thanks / Like

Black cause if your product dries up too fast and your working in the sun you see more haze marks.

White cause if your workiing in the sun it blinds your eyes.

sterling mist maxima
    Post Thanks / Like

yea good luck tryin to match up silver with metallic flakes in it.
    i think the lighter the color the hard it is to match up the color correctly
    mike
    :showpics

Post Thanks / Like

my most hated is white.....you can work on it day after day but you never see the results as well as you do on most other colors.....It looks nice and clean and smooth and has reflection but it just dosnt look as good as a darker colored car after a detail

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    To maintain and keep looking nice, Black.
    But, for the reward of doing a good job,Black.

Charles
    It just can`t be said any better.

I just did a metal flake silver car, and it was hard to make it look different. Finish was smooth, but really hard to get depth of color, and any sort of wet look. The shine was awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information