Post Thanks / Like

Question Flat vs. curved pad

What are the pros/cons of each? I am looking at upping my pad count and wuold like to try a coulpe of different pads. Most of the pads I see are now concave (to reduce splatter). I thought that you aren`t supposed to put pressure on the PC when polishing. Is the weight of the PC itself enough to flatten the concave portion so it contacts the paint? Otherwise, it would seem to me that you are just polishing with the edge of the concave section, which I don`t think would be good. I haven`t seen many flat surface pads (TOTL has some). Thoughts are appreciated.

-Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flat vs. curved pad

I`ve used both and haven`t found that much difference in them as far as visible results or wear. I do have less splatter with the contoured pads which I got from CMA. The also seem to be a step above the quality of the flat Edge pads I have.
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know about pros or cons, but...

I have both the LC VC pads and the Meguiar`s Soft Buff. I like them both, The Meg`s 6.5" are nice for smaller panels, while the LC 7.5" can really cover some real estate.

I thought that you aren`t supposed to put pressure on the PC when polishing.

Personal preference, I guess. When I need to, I`ll lean into mine. :dunno

You don`t say what mfg/type pads you have now. What difference are you looking for mfg? type? size?

There are a number of Edge users here. I don`t have any, nor have I tried the Sonus branded.

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have 1 Advanced 7.5" polishing pad (from Dwayne), yellow LC 7.5" VC pad, couple of Meg`s waffle pads, original PC pad (never used), LC 7.5" VC finishing (black) pad, and a 6.5" LC concave yellow pad. I`d like to add at least 2 more polishing pads, and maybe another cutting pad (mine is getting old). I know some people like the Meg`s pads, and I might try and pick one up as they are available right around the corner from my work. One other question. I have seen a 7.5" lambswool pad for the PC (by LC I believe). Anybody ever used this, and if so, what for? My weekend car could probably use some paint leveling, but I don`t own a rotary to do it with. Would the wool pad be a viable option, or a waste of money? The car has previously been done with a LC yellow pad and PB SSR2. I have some SSR2.5 on order, so I am going to see if that with the LC yellow will smooth things out.

Thanks,
    Neil

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would forgo the wool altogether (yes I have tried them, at least on a rotary)....if you need more than the PC can provide, get a rotary and still use foam pads.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

Or try using the 8" LC tufted pads, not nearly as scary as a wool pad if you`re just getting your feet wet with a rotary.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

NYV6Coupe,

Have you used the 8" LC tufted pads, and how did you like them?

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

oi812: yes, I`ve used them & had very satisfying results.

I`ve got an old WEN 2-speed rotary that a friend gave me & I was too chicken to use it with a wool pad based on many DC threads that I had read.

I bought a yellow tufted foam pad & a white tufted foam pad from ScottP & used `em on my Dad`s neglected black `93 Mercury with the Pinnacle ASM & SM products. I was able to get almost everything out except the genuine scratches.

Topped it off with LS & I was proud, really proud, of what I had accomplished with a tool that I don`t know if I was really prepared to use.

Admittedly, I was very cautious & didn`t really "lean" on the rotary but it seems I didn`t need to. I didn`t damage the paint & the car looks better than it`s looked in years.

These tufted pads are an easy first step in getting comfortable with a rotary & they may even eliminate the need for a wool pad on all but the most abused neglected surfaces like the Jetta that GRStilez did.

Post Thanks / Like

So for everyday detailing you wouldn`nt recommend them?

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, I would.

My Dad`s car needed some serious attention & I`m too new at using a PC to accurately assess whether or not the PC was going to get the job done regardless of the pad/product used. I picked up the LC tufted foam pads just for that reason.

I thought they`d be more forgiving than wool pads (they are) and, because of the way they`re constructed, I thought they`d have more surface area than a 8" flat or VC foam pad and be less likely to clog with residue (they never did).

I`ll assume that LC uses the same yellow foam & white foam that the flat pads use so I`d have no problem putting the white pad on the rotary & hitting my Accord with some FPII if I felt like it.

Actually, I think LC found a way to sell scrap pieces of foam.

Very confidence inspiring if you`re considering making a move to the rotary, like I said before .... it`s a baby step.

Thread Information