Post Thanks / Like

#80 @ spd 6 till dry??

Hi, im still fighting micro swirling under halogen lighting. Ive worked #80 every which way but loose and still getting slight micro marring. My definition of micro marring is swirl scratching about 1/16in , that can only be seen a few inches away but there not as dense as the hazing after #83, just smaller and more sparse. The best thing ive been able to do is use #80 on the black Sonus finishing pad @ speed 6 and working it dry, and I mean dry to where there is hardly anything to wipe off. Ive read about working it till it changes color or leave it with the wet egde and or let it sit and cure 10 - 15 mins. What is this indicating about my paint? #80/finishing pad @ spd 6 working till dry?? PS by dry do we mean literally till there is absolutely no filming left at all? Some times I think we are all using the same words but describing different things. Thx
    Thx

Post Thanks / Like

Re: #80 @ spd 6 till dry??

I usually buff Meg`s polishes until there`s not much more than a greasy smear on the paint. Sounds to me like you`ve worked the #80 to it`s limits and need to step down to a milder swirl remover (#9/#82).
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

i think speed 6 is to fast for #80. try between 4-5, i found this allows the product to work and do its job better. i don`t work it till its dry, you will notice it starting to get thin, but still has some color, keep working it till it`s a very thin and a clear like film. everyone does view this differently. try stopping and using your finger to check were product is at, (how thick the film is) you could also wipe a small bit of the product off and use a light at this point to check if marring is any better or still there. i don`t think you should work till it`s dry, because your pad could then mar the finish. i don`t know about leaving the product on 10-15 mins, because, i wipe soon after i`m done.

checking your polishing once or twice while polishing is the best way to understand how product works, and could help you determine where you are going wrong, if you are.

is the finish black?

Post Thanks / Like

Yea its a black finish..

Post Thanks / Like

NVcobra i researched this for you on the megs site and from what all i read , work #80 till it turns clear or pink then wipe off,i have some ordered that should arrive today and i will be using it for the first time so i will be in the learning curve with #80 keep us updated

Post Thanks / Like

As stated earlier...on black you MAY need to go to a finishing polish (Menzerna FP and Poorboys SSR1 are my favorites) to make the surface to your liking...but many do have great success with using #80 then going right to a last step product. That or the possibility that you`re actually working it too long might be causing the maring as well.

Let us know what you find.

Thread Information