Post Thanks / Like

Rain-X...INTERIOR glass

I have found that applying Rain-X with a paper towel, wiping with a damp cloth, then buffing with a MF towel has a couple of benefits.

First of all, it leaves the windows COMPLETELY spotless. Secondly any subsequent cleanings are much easier...even if cigarette smoke is involved.

Next, I don`t know if it`s just me, but my MF towels REALLY grab at the glass, making it hard to evenly buff the windows. The slickness of the Rain-X makes buffing easy.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a good process. I stopped using RainX about the second or third time I tried it. Call me a whimp but IMO, it`s a PITA to use. I`m systematically going through everything I use and every process I do to simplify things and seek out products that don`t fight me every step of the way. For me, RainX was one of the first to go. Perhaps I didn`t give it enough of a chance but I`ll be honest, I don`t miss it.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to give you that one...when you first use Rain-X, it is a pain, but once you get the hang of it, the vision benefits are well worth it.

I just recently discovered MF and those towels make using Rain-X as easy (or even easier) than `regular` window cleaners.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Oh I'll Bring the Shizzle Nagchampa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good tip Don.

Natty, the trick to using Rain-X is to do it before you wash and do not buff the product off the glass. Just wash the car after like you normally would and you will have clear glass.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

wayne
    Nagchampa,
    Interesting tip. I never tried it like that..., but I will "test" it out today to see what happens

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wayne
    Nagchampa,
    Interesting tip. I never tried it like that..., but I will "test" it out today to see what happens
    Yep it works...especially on really hot days when everything likes to smear.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I would be a little careful using Rain-X on the inside of your windshield. First off, many windshields have on the inside a protective film that could be damaged by the product. I draw your attention to a post made by an apparent ex-employee that dealt with Rain-X.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...X&pagenumber=2

He claims that Rain-X contains Sulfuric Acid!! Yup! Now, that in itself is not a cause for alarm. But, I have no idea what this chemical will do if a windshield has the protective film.

Just something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2hotford
    ......................He claims that Rain-X contains Sulfuric Acid!! Yup! Now, that in itself is not a cause for alarm. But, I have no idea what this chemical will do if a windshield has the protective film.

I do not see any acids listed on the MSDS sheet.

The protective layer on a windshield is almost always sandwiched somewhere between the two layers of glass.

I wouldn`t use Rain-X on the inside but I would like to try their Anti-Fog.
    "Never walk into an environment and assume that you understand it better than the people who live there." - Kofi Annan after his first frigid Minnesota winter

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nag,

I was not aware of the sulfuric acid either.

However, I was not referring to the safety film but rather the coating on the inside of some windshields. I believe it has someting to do with a UV film or perhaps the "heads-up display". Many manuals tell you not to attach suction cups etc... in order to avoid damaging this layer.

I will try and find out a little more and will post back.

wayne
    I think I would be a little careful using Rain-X on the inside of your windshield. First off, many windshields have on the inside a protective film that could be damaged by the product. I draw your attention to a post made by an apparent ex-employee that dealt with Rain-X.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...X&pagenumber=2

He claims that Rain-X contains Sulfuric Acid!! Yup! Now, that in itself is not a cause for alarm. But, I have no idea what this chemical will do if a windshield has the protective film.

Check out the MSDS and show me where the "acid" was listed

http://www.pzlqs.com/techdata/l7_msds_fs.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nag,

I was not aware of the sulfuric acid either.

However, I was not referring to the safety film but rather the coating on the inside of some windshields. I believe it has someting to do with a UV film or perhaps the "heads-up display". Many manuals tell you not to attach suction cups etc... in order to avoid damaging this layer.

I will try and find out a little more and will post back.
    I was referring to the UV film as well. From what I understand it is usually right beside the plastic layer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wayne, did you read the link?? Why don`t you ask him about the MSDS.

wayne
    2hotford,
    I read through some of it late last night, but was not real thourough, just kinda skimmed through.
    Wasn`t really that interested in "running it down".
    I thought someone here might have had more info or there was an updated version floating around that had acid in it.
    Not that big of a deal, just asked a question I thought someone might have had an answer to.
    I have used it for years with great results, easy on, easy off and no "acid problems".
    Speaking of acid..., do you know where..., oh- nevermind LOL!

Nagchampa,
    What does your screen name mean..., I have been "out of it" for a while

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wayne

Nagchampa,
    What does your screen name mean..., I have been "out of it" for a while
    It`s a long story but basically I named myself after some cheesy incense.

Thread Information