Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Buying Product. Completely Overwhelmed. Need help.

Okay guys and gals,

Here`s where I am and what I`m looking to do. I have two cars I`m trying to touch up and restore to their original paint condition. Neither are in bad shape. One just has some light swirls and scratches, the other has both of those, plus some water/bird stains.

I`m new here, so I`m more than a little overwhelmed with what I`ll need.

Here`s what I have:

A PC 7424
    Pretty much the whole line of Zaino product, minus the swirl remover (Z-7, Z-2, ZFX, Z-6).

Here`s what I`m understanding I should do:

1. Wash and clay
    2. SSR2 or equivalent with PC (SSR2 is out of stock. Any suggestions on equivalents, or should I just go to SSR2.5?).
    3. Another round with SSR1
    4. Z-7
    5. Z-2 + ZFX
    6. Z-6

Questions:

1. What pads should I use? I`m totally clueless on this. I have a 6oz. counterweight, a hook and loop attachment and the pad that came with the PC.
    2. Are there any missing steps or products?
    3. What kind of towels should I snag (to prevent further light scratching).

That`s all, for now. And thanks in advance for any help.

-E

Post Thanks / Like
    You could try the Pinnacle Advanced Swirlmark Remover for a substitute for SSR2 or 2.5. I think it is comparible.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you`ve got a pretty good handle on it. I would use a polishing pad to apply everything and do the zaino by hand. I like Meguiars pads, but any of them will be fine.

Hard to say wether or not you will need the 2.5 or not without seeing the paint. I would probably get both just in case.

I would pick up some high quality MF towels for removal. You can probably get them from the same place that you are getting your PB`s

BTW, I am sure some purist would recommend a dawn wash between the PB`s products and the zaino, I am not one of those people.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, here`s what I`m picking up at PB`s:

1 of each -
    SSR1- 16oz*
    QD Plus - 16oz*
    SSR2.5 - 16oz*
    Trim Restorer - 16oz*
    Bold N Bright - 16oz*
    18"x21" Microfiber Chamois*
    16"x16" Velvet Smooth Glass Towel
    16"x16" Super Thick and Plush Towel
    21"x36" Velvet Smooth
    Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner

Look about right, minus the pads?
    Last edited by enuttage; 09-28-2004 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never tried the MF chamois, but I really like WWMF for drying. Everything that you list that I have tried is top notch.

One thing you might as well pick up a gallon of is spray and wipe. You will want some sooner or later.
    Word of Mouth Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EBPcivicsi
    I have never tried the MF chamois, but I really like WWMF for drying. Everything that you list that I have tried is top notch.

One thing you might as well pick up a gallon of is spray and wipe. You will want some sooner or later.
    Cool. Thanks for the input.

I`m also ordering some LC pads for the PC.

Do I need the orange cutting pad, or just a couple each of the white and black pads?

I would be getting the flat 6.5" ones here:

http://www.topoftheline.com/lake-cou...sher-pads.html
    Last edited by enuttage; 09-28-2004 at 03:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ I don`t use cutting pads on the PC unless the paint is so bad that anything would be an improvement. Sounds like to me you will only need a few polishing and a few finishing pads.
    Word of Mouth Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EBPcivicsi
    ^ I don`t use cutting pads on the PC unless the paint is so bad that anything would be an improvement. Sounds like to me you will only need a few polishing and a few finishing pads.
    Thank you once again!

And...last question (theoretically):

If I buy the LC pads listed above, will I be okay with the 6oz counterweight and backing pad I got from Coastal Tool?

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...231+1096435803

2nd product grouping down...

-E

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by enuttage
    Cool. Thanks for the input.

I`m also ordering some LC pads for the PC.

Do I need the orange cutting pad, or just a couple each of the white and black pads?

I would be getting the flat 6.5" ones here:

http://www.topoftheline.com/lake-cou...sher-pads.html
    I`ve used the LC 6" cupped pads, the LC 6.5" flat pads, and the LC 7.5" Variable Contact pads and I think you`re making a good choice going with the 6" pads, both white & black.

Good pads to learn with `cause they offer the greatest area of surface contact, but remember to keep them flat (parallel to) on the surface, speed between 3.5 & 4 to start out.

All these pads work-out great with a 6oz counterweight & a 6" velcro backing plate but I`d stay away from the 6" pads `cause they`re the same size as the backing plate. You could bump the edge of the plate into a spoiler or mirror & scuff `em pretty good.

Apply product either to the surface or pad, smear it amount on the surface BEFORE you turn on the PC & begin buffing. Turn the PC off while it`s still in contact with the surface or you may sling the pad off like a frisbee.

You selection of products is excellent, I`d use a WW towel for drying but I have no experience with a MF chamois.

Take you time & you`ll be pleased with the result ..... good luck.
    Last edited by NYV6Coupe; 09-28-2004 at 04:45 PM.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Boss_429
    enuttage,

I think your plan is very good. EBP has given you some good info............ I`ll add a little more.

Your approach to removing "all" the paint imperfections prior to the Z2 is the correct one. The Z2 is very clear, and will hide nothing. Therefore, the SSR2.5 followed by SSR1 should get the paint in the best condition possible prior to the Zaino.

I would get some Spray & Wipe as EBP suggested, and wipe down the vehicle after the polishes, just prior applying Z2. You want to have a perfectly clean paint surface in order for the Z2 to bond properly.

I would get "several" quality MF towels for removing the polishes, QD`ing/Spray & Wipe, and for remove the Z2.

You can get the QD+ for other purposes, but I wouldn`t use on the Zaino. It has carnauba in it, and will prevent the bonding of additional coats of Zaino.

I think the 6 ounce counterweight will work fine with those pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

I`ll post back with results after the weekend (assuming my supplies show up before then).

-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss_429
    I would get some Spray & Wipe as EBP suggested, and wipe down the vehicle after the polishes, just prior applying Z2. You want to have a perfectly clean paint surface in order for the Z2 to bond properly.

You can get the QD+ for other purposes, but I wouldn`t use on the Zaino. It has carnauba in it, and will prevent the bonding of additional coats of Zaino.
    D`oh!

Already ordered. In which case, two questions:

1. Any other recommended brands of Spray `N Wipe esqe stuff I could pick up locally?

2. Will the QD+ look nice *over* the Zaino? I don`t want to lose my adhesive abilities for later Zaino coatings (as in, 1-2 weeks when I do the cars again), but my understanding is some carnauba over Zaino may give my shine some extra depth.

And once again, thanks for lending your ear and time to a noob.

-E

edit: spelling
    Last edited by enuttage; 09-28-2004 at 05:03 PM.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    don`t worry i`ll substitute in in for you
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Boss_429
    Quote Originally Posted by enuttage
    D`oh!

Already ordered. In which case, two questions:

1. Any other recommended brands of Spray `N Wipe esqe stuff I could pick up locally?

2. Will the QD+ look nice *over* the Zaino? I don`t want to lose my adhesive abilities for later Zaino coatings (as in, 1-2 weeks when I do the cars again), but my understanding is some carnauba over Zaino may give my shine some extra depth.

And once again, thanks for lending your ear and time to a noob.

-E

edit: spelling
    You won`t find anything locally like S & W. You could use the Z6 instead, but it won`t clean the surface like S & W. It probably won`t be much of a problem though, as SSR2.5, and SSR1 don`t contain any oils, waxes, or silicones, so there won`t be much left behind to clean up. I just recommending that you make sure there is nothing but a clean paint surface for the Z2 to bond to.

I belive you "will" loose you bonding if you put the QD+ on over the Z2, and then try to layer more Z2. However, the QD+ will probably add a little "pop" to the look......... it`s up to you.

Good luck.

Boss_429
    Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy
    don`t worry i`ll substitute in in for you
    Looks like Steve took care of you anyhow!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information