Post Thanks / Like

Need some detailing advice

I was very inspired after reading Jngrbrdman`s detailing article. I have been stubbornly and exclusively waxing my personal cars by hand for almost forty years now (perhaps because of the old adverse memory of burning the paint while using a powered drill buffer on my dad`s brand new black Ford back in `67). Jngrbrdman`s article convinced me however, to finally buy the 7424 pc ($109 at Home Depot). I also purchased the recommended foam pads and mf towels, but I couldn`t bring myself to purchasing the dacp, as I was afraid it might be too aggressive for my newer cars. I instead purchased Maguire`s #9, but this may be an underkill. I have also ordered the UPP, and I`m looking forward to it`s arrival as I plan on exclusively applying it in layers.

I am new to power buffers (and hesitant). Please recommend what part of the overall process (application/ removal) should now be done exclusively by hand (I would now like to use my new pc as much as possible for effect and time savings).
    Can I exclusively use the 7424 for all of my power polishing / waxing needs? Or should I also have a 10` orbital?
    Should the foam pads need frequent cleaning/changing if only doing an average sized car? (cars are in good condition, but with a few light swirl marks)
    Will monthly applications of UPP be reasonable for good shine maintenance, or is this overkill?
    Should I skip the carnauba wax last step if switching to monthly UPP applications?
    Naturally, I am hoping to standardize with as few products as possible.

Please advise. I will have much to thank the experts for!

My current 4 children are now ages 2, 2, 10, and 23. They range from Toyota black (Solara Convertible) to white in color, and they are regularly washed, waxed and clayed. They are always garaged/ protected from the Southern Calif smog/sun.
    Last edited by jbermo; 09-23-2004 at 01:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Waxing by hand is fine and it`s still the way to go, but for polishing, machine is the ONLY way to go (IMO). You can pretty much do everything by machine if you want to. The only part that will be done by hand is the removal of residues left behind the polish and application and removal of waxes/sealants. All of you polishing efforts will be done with the PC. A 10" orbital will not be necessary.Your #9 may do the trick, I reserve DACP for more aggressive polishing like scratches and heavy swirls. You always want to do the least aggressive method to achieve your goal, so start off with #9 and a polishing pad on your PC set at speed 5 and go over the whole car. Some areas may need more than one application, and take your time. Very slow movement is the key. As far as pad cleaning, just wash them after every use by soaking them in a bucket with car shampoo and then flush them out with a hose. Don`t ring them out or put them in the washer or dryer. Just flush them out with clean water and maybe *spin* dry them on your PC (that`s always fun) and let them air dry. If while polishing you find the pads starting to get overly packed with polish, either grab a new pad or clean the current one with a toothbrush or detailing brush while spinning the pad.
    You can apply UPP monthly if you want, but I would say once every 8-12 weeks would be more like it.
    Last edited by Pat; 09-24-2004 at 10:03 AM.

Proud Resident Of Detail City
    Post Thanks / Like
    A PC buffer is an orbital polisher. You would have to be a real bone head to damage your paint with an orbital. I would recommend doing your polishing with the PC, and the final wax application by hand. If you find the right polish/sealant,however, you can apply that with the PC and your finished. I like Hi-Temp`s Midnight Express. This is a one step polish/sealant that works great with an orbital. I personally have a cyclo polisher, but the polishing action is similar to a PC. Just remember that the less product on the pad, the better the results. A small dime sized dab is all you need for each normal size body panel. I am having very good success on newer cars with just washing, claying, and polishing with the midnight express. If the car`s paint is in bad shape, additional polishing/cutting steps may be necessary.

Thread Information