Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine cleaning

Post Thanks / Like

Engine cleaning

Guys, what are you using to clean your engines with. I have some dultuted simple green or full strength. I know to cover my air filter (cone k&n) and my distributer. What else? What you you put on the engire to make it shiney? I have some black magic. Its kind of greasey. Thanks
    2008 Black Sap. Bmw 535i Speed
    2008 Jet Black Bmw X3 3.0 si
    email bimmerclubnc@gmail.com

Boss_429
    I use Meguiar`s APC+ diluted 4 to 1 to clean the compartment.
    I use Poorboy`s Natural Look to dress the compartment.

Where did my title go? 00Ranger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use a simple green like product diluted... I wouldn`t think you would need it full strength in most situations....and a water based dressing (I think what you are using is solvent based?) like Boss said Natural Look or Meg`s #40 diluted also
    NXT..smells yummy

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Gunk Foaming Engine degreaser to get the tough stuff. Then I use Simple Green diluted to at least 3:1 to get the rest. I follow that up with the CD2 Engine Detailing product and clean up the painted surfaces with Spray and wipe. If it is for a show then I will use a spray wax on the under side of the hood and painted surfaces. NXT spray wax is fast becoming my favorite product for that task.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use APC+ diluted 1:1, sprayed liberally on the part I`m cleaning, scrub it down, and rinse. I do each part one at a time. I went a little overboard with covering things the first time I cleaned an engine compartment. I pretty much covered every electrical connector I could find, just cover anything you think may cause a problem. I followed up with Engine Kote, but I don`t like it very much. Pretty much any good vinyl/rubber protectant will work well.
    Last edited by tkr128; 09-20-2004 at 06:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am no pro but what i will do is spray non diluted or slightly diluted( what ever i have laying around) on Every thing that can get wet. Then spray off and alot of gunk will come off. Then i used CD2 engine detailer as directed on the can. and man spray and wait. Then whip where some paint is and it looks great.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Very simple process:

Westley`s Bleach White 50/50 with water. Spray the whole engine down while its cold (it evaporates too fast if its hot) and agitate the really grimy areas with a stiff wheel well brush. Don`t be stingy with the Bleach White either, spray that sucker down and let it sit just until it starts to dry up then rinse off with a powerful stream of water while using your brush wherever you can to help it out. Let this dry while you are detailing the rest of the vehicle then come back to it (drying off any wet spots that remain) and spray it down with Armour All Tire Foam. Spray everything, and close the hood. Wait about 15-30 minutes and come back to catch the spots you missed, and wipe the excess off any pooled areas. Here`s what it looks like:

Post Thanks / Like
    Recently a thread was brought up about Westley`s Bleche White removing something from the tires. It is the brownish colored stuff that comes off when you rinse. I have never really worried about it....but if it supposedly does this to tires, would it harm anything under the hood (hoses, plastic, etc)? I have used Westley`s and usually like the results. Just curious about it harming anything under there. What do you think Jason? Have you noticed anything? Personally I have never noticed any adverse effect to my tires when I was using it. Just curious.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using Castrol Super Clean APC followed by CD2 engine detailer with good results. May try Super Clean followed by PB NL on my next detail, see how it turns out.
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JaredPointer
    Recently a thread was brought up about Westley`s Bleche White removing something from the tires. It is the brownish colored stuff that comes off when you rinse. I have never really worried about it....but if it supposedly does this to tires, would it harm anything under the hood (hoses, plastic, etc)? I have used Westley`s and usually like the results. Just curious about it harming anything under there. What do you think Jason? Have you noticed anything? Personally I have never noticed any adverse effect to my tires when I was using it. Just curious.
    Well, if you used the stuff full strength on a regular basis letting it completely dry on all the plastics I would say that *eventually* it might dry things out a bit, BUT in my experience, I have never had a single problem with it. First of all, I use it dilluted 50/50 with water and get the same results as full strength and second you are only doing this once ever month or so, at the absolute most.

As far as brown coming off the tires, yes, when you use Bleach White a lot of dark colored stuff comes off, that`s called brake dust, road dirt, old tire shine, and just plain old grease. Nothing else removes this stuff. I use a pretty durable tire shine by Zep called Protect All (dilluted 50/50 with water) and even after I use Bleach White and scrub the tires really well, the tires still have a little sheen to them, so this tells me that Bleach White isn`t damaging the tire because the tire shine is actually still on there protecting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JasonD
    As far as brown coming off the tires, yes, when you use Bleach White a lot of dark colored stuff comes off, that`s called brake dust, road dirt, old tire shine, and just plain old grease. Nothing else removes this stuff. I use a pretty durable tire shine by Zep called Protect All (dilluted 50/50 with water) and even after I use Bleach White and scrub the tires really well, the tires still have a little sheen to them, so this tells me that Bleach White isn`t damaging the tire because the tire shine is actually still on there protecting it.
    Thanks Jason. I was referring to the brown stuff as being something in the tire that protects the tire. There`s a thread here somewhere about it, but oh well. Thanks for your answer.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine areas are a real sore spot for me but I do them anyway. I use a good degreaser with a ton of brushes. Then wipe off with clean towels. I am reluctant to use to much water under the hood do not want to get anything wet like electrical stuff. I have yet to find a good two step kit for this but would like to.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Proud Resident Of Detail City
    Post Thanks / Like
    The brown stuff that comes off of the tires when cleaning them is creosote. I am not sure if it is spelled correctly though.

2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used "Gunk" Citris Engine Bright with pretty good results.

Post Thanks / Like

Ttt

Anyone else have some info. or thoughts? Anyone have some bad experiences from this, like LIABILITY???!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information