Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy windows

Post Thanks / Like

Cloudy windows

I`ve almost given up hope on cleaning the inside of my windows. Seems though the last time I detailed the inside of my vette I, according to my wife, got something on the windows. I`ve tried windex, stoner and 3M wax, tar and adhesive remover and the cloudy windows still remain. Anyone here have any suggestions. I`m assuming that the streaks are caused by silicone that must have accidently made it`s way onto the windows. Any help will be greatly appreciated.:wait

Where did my title go? 00Ranger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is your car new? if so it may be "vinyl fog" Is the fumes (if you will) that are emitted from the dashboard, etc ....I have the same problem on my SO car. I clean them and the haze will be there again by the next weekend.
    NXT..smells yummy

Post Thanks / Like
    00 Ranger It`s a 2003 and I`ve owned it since it was new. I don`t remember the windows clouding before but I don`t really drive it much. The car sits in the sun and the interior temps get pretty high. I used the armoral wipes on the dash about three weeks ago and thought maybe the heat is causing the residual silicone to vapor onto the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a few things to try. Cover your dash and try isopropyl alcohol ( rubbing alcohol) pour some on a rag and see if that cuts the film. Just make sure you don`t let any alcohol drip on the dash it could stain it. Also you could try a 0000 steel wool pad with either the alcohol or a glass cleaner . Good luck
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Post Thanks / Like
    I had that problem too (03 new car). It seemed as though I could get them perfectly clean and then when the sun was coming up or going down, or street lights were on, I could see streaks and smears that didn`t seem to be there before. I used glass cleaner and MF followed by a fresh MF wipe down and it still occurred. I have tried the blue shop towels anbd they work ok but still have the same haze. Old car doesn`t do that though, so I pretty much have just lived with the haze and am hoping it will go away as the car "matures".

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Marty, good to have a fellow Vetter here. Just got back from detailing in Corvettes@Carlisle. I personally use the guys at West Coast Corvettes for all my needs. As for products (also found at WCC) I use Adam`s Polishes Brilliance on the windows. It really brightens them up, and also leaves a bit of protection, so fumes can`t stick to it (on the inside) and it acts as a rain repelant on the outside.

For the dash, doors, etc, I use Adam`s VRT. My Vette`s interior is black, and your right, gets extremely hot in there. VRT is water based and a thick lotion-like moisturizing cream that has SPF 65 in it. This is a great protector against drying out and UV damage.

You can read up on them in a couple of ways:
    1) Do a search within DC for the products
    2) www.westcoastcorvette.com or www.adamspolishes.com
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Boss_429
    There are some great products sold right here at DC (and that helps this site) that are equally as good as Adam`s products, for both the windows and interior. The fogging you are seeing is difficult to control, especially with a black interior. It sometimes helps to vent the windows a bit. Over a period of time, you should see a reduction in the fogging, as the chemicals leach out of the plastics/vinyls.......... ect. I use Poorboy`s Spray and Wipe on the interior windows. Diamondite might also have something to help the fogging condition.

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Boss can I use Spray and Wipe on tinted windows?Nick you are spamming.
    Last edited by rabbi; 09-11-2004 at 09:03 AM.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Boss_429
    Rick,

On OEM tinted windows.............. you sure can. On aftermarket tinted windows you have to be more careful what you are using.................. you need to check with the manufacturer/installer of the tint film.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Boss! Problem is I bought the car a year old and I know it`s not factory.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    I thnk the offical term for the fogging on the windows is called out gasing. Very common on newer cars as the plastics and vinyl realeases gas`s from being new, over time this will slow down and stop.
    The suggestion of using isopropyl alcohol to cut the flim is what I have done in the past, then also use something like Stoners and MF to finish. I leave the windows cracked or the sunroof if you have one to let the gases out, helps a lot. Good luck
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    :yeah
    Also clean the Armor all off of the dash and use something that actually will dry. I use Poorboy`s Natural Look (water based) and it has cut down considerably on the window fogging issue. I still get it but not nearly as bad as when I used the Armor all.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx kimwallace. I`ll try the Natural Look on the dash and Invisible Glass on the windows. I`m reluctant to use S &W on my windows as I don`t know about the tint. I`ll stop by a custom shop and ask about the tint.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    On after market tints you want to be careful with ammonia based cleaners. That`s what the local tint guys here tell me.
    S&W is about as safe a product that I have ever used
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Boss_429
    Originally posted by Beemerboy
    On after market tints you want to be careful with ammonia based cleaners. That`s what the local tint guys here tell me.
    S&W is about as safe a product that I have ever used
    Rick,

Beemerboy hit it right on the head.............. no ammonia on the aftermarket tints! There is no ammonia in S & W.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information