Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2004 Civic EX magnesium HondaMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, PB, no I think I will use my QD+ -- it`s a good product, I think maybe I`ll apply a double-coat this time.

If I did want to "strip" a recently applied coat of a Carnuba product to put on a synthetic, would a regular was do the trick? Or do I need to use something like AIO and build from there?

How long would a Carnuba or DQ+ last on a car such that I could let it wear down "naturally" and then an application of UPP or the like would take? Would you think 2-3 weeks? A month? 2 months?
    "Marge...weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just remeber to spray onto a towel or away from trim

prep before UPP should probably be a good paint cleaner or polish/ssr

never just assume a product like wax will dissipate into the air or wear off..it may not have the shine it originally had, but there is sure to be a residue that will need to be removed...

a common misconception about waxes are that the are gone when they stop shining or beading, that`s not true, they have just lost their oils and the ability to give off gloss and slickness...protection is still there too.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I got some of the QD+ on the ground and it`s still there 3 days later!

Do waxes and/or QD+ hurt trim? I got small amounts on the black trim surrounding my windows and panels but wiped most of it off.
    "Marge...weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    no problems usually if you take care of it when it happens..if you let it sit, it`s usually the solvents in the products that leave the staining...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Here in NC we have bad pollution due to my proximity to the airport - I find that when it rains during the day and has a chance to dry on my car the rain dries to a residue (opaque - sometimes looks milky) - depending on what is on the car or how freshly applied it was I can S&W them off - these are mineral deposits and just the yucky stuff in the rain - if they wipe right off with S&W or a QD then your wax or sealant is doing it`s job, stopping contaminents from bonding to, harming the finish.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the gunky spots were sap?

Where did my title go? 00Ranger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    EBPcivic may be able to chime in here....I know he has problems with water spots that actually etch (sp) into the clear. It may be the honda paint, I heard its pretty soft:dunno
    NXT..smells yummy

Post Thanks / Like
    On both of my Hondas I get spotting really bad. It really doesn`t matter what wax/selant I use, if it rains and then the sun comes out, forget about it. Most people would probably never see it, but the rain(even if it is just a sprinkle) will leave tiny little etch marks. They are deep enough that QD will not take care of them after a wash. I usually have to use a chemical paint cleaner like AIO or UPC. This is really bothersome for me because there is no marring and the paint is still slick and beading really well. Just because of a rain I have to start over.

FWIW, the products that I have used which seemed to protect the best from this situation were GC, medallion, EX, NXT.

The worst for spotting on my piant have been UPP and #16 (zaino is in there somewhere, but it has been a long time since I used it and can`t really remember how bad it spotted).

Not a knock on either product as I use both of them on my cars as well as others, and have only seen the problem on my Honda paint. Go figure.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, my car initially had AIO plus 2 coats of UPP and I did NOT see any spotting nor did I see any sap/water rings. I have to assume that was the result of parking under a tree.

As for the Honda paint job, earlier rains pretty much "beaded up" -- I asked about this elsewhere.

Wouldn`t having a few layers of protection be the best thing to protecting the clearcoat from getting penetrated? Forget what`s the final coat, if you have multiple layers below that, I would think that would make any stains -- if they occur -- stay as close to the top as possible, no?

Again, since I used QD+ the other day I re-applied it last night. I am going to see how it looks in the next rainstorm and make sure it`s not parked under any trees.

Ultimately, I want to apply AIO, SG (just bought it), and then some UPP or PB final non-wax coats on top. Plan on doing that in the fall, for now, I`ll stick with my QD+ and carnubas since I already have 1 layer on and shouldn`t switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    EB - when I bought my 2003 TL-S the car had acid rain pitting so bad I had to have it repainted...honda paint sux ;(
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it inproper to QD if your car is dusty or has slight water marks for rain or anything. ? I all thought it was because the small particles from the minerals in the water spot and the dust when rubbed in could create swirls. ? Is that correct. ?
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Fr0zen
    Is it inproper to QD if your car is dusty or has slight water marks for rain or anything. ? I all thought it was because the small particles from the minerals in the water spot and the dust when rubbed in could create swirls. ? Is that correct. ?
    Some people do it, but there is no way I would. If I have VERY light dust I can S&W without problems. Heavy dust means QEW. Driving in the rain means a hose wash. That`s just my paint. I have seen people that can S&W when the car is fairly dirty without marring.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t do it if it was very dusty. I have used it after rain and it works fine.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information