2004 Civic EX magnesium HondaMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick Detailing `Aint Quick !

Well, I tried out my PB S&W and QD+ products this weekend. The S&W is pretty good -- might not be 100% or even 90% as good as a regular wash and rinse, for sure -- but it is quicker. And it`s nice to have a spray bottle available just for little blotches that may appear from time to time.

However, I have a problem with this board`s enthusiasm for QD+ and similar products. My argument isn`t so much with the product -- it works fine. But to really apply it correctly, it seems like it works best by letting it "harden" for a while on the car and then you wipe it off. This takes longer, although I don`t mind. But in this respect, it`s not much different than applying UPP or any other finishing product that asks to stay on the car for 15 minutes - 1 hour before you wipe it off.

Now, I know you can theoretically wipe QD+ off right away and this saves time. However, I`m not convinced that you get 100% of the benefits that way -- in fact, depending on how much stuff you wipe off, you could eliminate 50-90% of the formula by re-sopping it up on your MF towel. There are 3 different ways to apply QD+ listed on the bottle, so it`s clear that there`s no best way.

Still....I think it`s unrealistic to expect that you can apply a fresh coat of wax or sealant, QD+ or non-QD product or whatever in just a few minutes. Even if you exclude the "waiting time" from your calculations, the 2nd step of wiping the thing off does require some elbow grease. Whereas the S&W is 1-step cleaning instead of 2-step (wash, rinse) that we normally do, I`m not sure that if you use QD+ in a 1-step fashion that it`s what most of us want. If I`m wrong, vets, tell me.

Oh yeah...the darn spray bottle got the wax product all over places I didn`t want it to go. I hope it doesn`t hurt trim or plastic or glass, though I think I wiped it all off. Next time, I`ll use the regular nozzle and ooze it on by squeezing it.
    "Marge...weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

Post Thanks / Like
    There`s been threads about this product before.
    It is more of a spray wax than quick detailer as others have made.
    But the end result is better than most of those.
    Other QD I have used seem more like Spray and wipe. Just cleaning the surface.
    PB QD+ leaves some Carnuba wax behind.
    95 Acura Legend Sedan - Granada Black Pearl
    97 Toyota Landcruiser - 40th Anniversary Edition

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well yes and no Spray and Wipe if used correctly can maintain a well maintained vehicle for long periods between full washes.

QD+ is only meant to be a refresher...not a replacement for EX or other wax/sealants ....after many threads and discussions, many people find it best to apply to a cloth and then spread and remove, while I have started including a 2oz mist sprayer instead of a trigger to prevent the splatter.

Yes , sometimes it`s just as easy to put on another coat of your favorite wax/sealant, but if you don`t have the time to do the proper prep for those products, then the cleaners and wax in QD+ sure can make it glow real quick
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    So what you are saying Steve is that QD+ can clean as well? Would that make it unneccesary to use S&W first? Or would you S&W the QD+ for a lightly dirty car?

I have yet to try the spray on towel then spead method. I actually gave up on QD+ because of the splatter staining my trim and it was a pain to get off.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    OH yeas and the original version even better...I would use S & W first to take surface dirt off and then QD+ for any stubborn dirt...the 2oz sprayers were Natty`s idea and it definitely made it more spray friendly
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have to revisit this product using the sporay on the towel method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

Do you simply spray a whoile bunch on a MF wipe it on and wipe it off? Also, is it lubricating enough to remove stubborn stains without marring?

Post Thanks / Like
    We used QD+ on a Crossfire and a Supra we did for a show this year and it made for a great product to use at the shows as a refresher from our last detail on these cars.

2004 Civic EX magnesium HondaMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did notice today that my magnesium metallic color looked a bit "darker" than normal. Not sure shinier, but deeper. Not sure if it was the angle of the sun, my imagination, or the shine.

Did look good, though.
    "Marge...weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s funny that this thread should pop up today. I was using the above mentioned products less than 1 hour ago.

I used S&W on my Legend and then covered the car in an even coat of QD+, waited a few minutes and then buffed off. It worked really well.

But I will admit that when I orded QD+ I was expecting more of a quick detailing product, buts that probably due to me being used to other QD products from other compaines.

I recieved the bottle of S&W because I also ordered a clay bar. I plan to order more S&W within a few weeks because it`s a great product.

Steve has become by "crack dealer." I can`t get enought of this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 91LSMAN
    Steve has become my "crack dealer." I can`t get enought of this stuff.
    Isn`t that the truth! Steve may not like that analogy, but it sure fits.

When I look at his list of products the only one I don`t own is The Bio-Degradable Cleaner.
    And I`m dying for the Car wash and Wheel cleaner to come out.

Thread Information