Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drying method

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like

drying method

After washing and drying my vehicles I usually will drive them around the block to get any remaining water out of the crevices. When I get back home I will then dry the vehicle again where there is water present from the drive. Recently I was thinking instead of doing the drive thing, what about using my leaf blower and just blow out the water and then follow up where there`s water. Again, this would be after I dry the vehicle completely. I`m not drying the whole vehicle with the leaf blower. Also, note I said a leaf blower not a compressor. Which method is better or which would be the advantages/disadvantges to each method? I can just picture what my neighbors would think when they see me with a leaf blower drying my vehicle. Oh well, so what.
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t want to drive the car out of concern the wet spots could catch dirt paritcles and mar. I would use the blower or a car dryer type blower and do what you were thinking. I never drive the car until 100% dry. Just my 2 cents. Yeah so what, who cares what the neighbors think; its pretty much standard to see my legs sticking out from under my cars when I have them outside
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like
    Leaf blower is a good idea IF it`s been used for leaf blowing only. Some leaf blowers can be reversed & used to vacuum-up leaves and mulch them into a bag. This would leave the inside of the device full of all kinds of leaves, sticks and junk that would be forcefully blown into your paint at 100+ mph.

A dedicated cheapo leaf blower would probably be the ultimate solution.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Use of a leaf blower, air compressor, blower vac, these are all pretty common ways of getting the water out of the nooks and crannies. I have and have used all three and probably prefer the leaf blower just because of convenience.

Charles

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NYV6Coupe
    Leaf blower is a good idea IF it`s been used for leaf blowing only. Some leaf blowers can be reversed & used to vacuum-up leaves and mulch them into a bag. This would leave the inside of the device full of all kinds of leaves, sticks and junk that would be forcefully blown into your paint at 100+ mph.

A dedicated cheapo leaf blower would probably be the ultimate solution.
    Good point. Yes, I`ve only used mine for blowing only.
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with not driving the car after washing, theres dirt and dust everywhere, a lot of it is airborne.
    There really is no "better" way
    I actually use both an electric leaf blower and an air compressor.
    Heres my method:
    1. After washing, I use a shammy to remove a majority of the water
    2.Then I use the leaf blower to remove water from the side mirrors and door jams (only on the exterior)
    3. I use the air compressor only because it is stronger and more concentrated in tight areas on the door handles, emblems, etc.
    4. I usually use a soft terry towel to remove whats left, and its usually not much

This is the best methof Ive found so far, if anybody can correct or help me, feel free to pm me
    I hope this helps

2002 Chevrolet Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Uncle uses an air compressor sometimes to get the extra water out of "the cracks"

I used a leaf blower when cleaning my engine bay to help the drying go faster. It worked really well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used a leaf blower for years. Its faster than the compressor.
    Ron

Ron`s Dent`s & Details

Where did my title go? 00Ranger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :wait I agree, I wouldn`t drive anywhere until the cleaning/detail is complete
    I also use a leaf blower as many people here do...don`t worry about the neighbors ,I sure they already think your crazy....I know mine do (11 at night with shop lights in the carport spray&wiping )
    NXT..smells yummy

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 00Ranger
    :...don`t worry about the neighbors ,I sure they already think your crazy....I know mine do (11 at night with shop lights in the carport spray&wiping )
    I have you beat. Try working until 1:30 am in the garage polishing and waxing.

Where did my title go? 00Ranger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    See I told you...They think your crazy
    Welcome to the OCD club:-p
    NXT..smells yummy

Post Thanks / Like
    What leaf blower is everybody using? Wind MPH?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jon_fl
    What leaf blower is everybody using? Wind MPH?
    Mine is a Weedeater model 2595. 12 amps, two speeds, 195 mph on high speed. Works good.
    Also works good to blow out the garage rather than sweep.
    Several people have purchased vacuum cleaners that convert into a blower, but I have no first hand knowledge as to how they work.
    My Metro Vac-N-Blo would probably do a good job, but I kind of like to keep it just for vacuuming.

Charles

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Charles W, so do you use that thing high speed on your drivers/passenger side mirrors?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by III
    Charles W, so do you use that thing high speed on your drivers/passenger side mirrors?
    Had to think about that for a minute.
    No, I don`t think I do. The first position on the switch, (slower), seems to be where I have it set. Actually, I think that is where I use it for blowing out the garage as well. But its got all that power if I need it.

Charles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information