Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, I don`t think the Sonus people are trying to hide AIO dilution. The fact is, if people want to use SG diluted they can wothout any fear of stripping polymers. Remember, SG is non abrasive. I kind of wondered why people use AIO diluted as a QD, but not SG.

Bill.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BillNorth
    I kind of wondered why people use AIO diluted as a QD, but not SG.

Bill.
    Could it be they have read something about using AIO in your wash water to improve the performance of whatever shampoo you use?
    It sure seems like I have read that suggestion at one of the AIO supplier sites.
    IMO, with all the good QD`s out there, why try to be a chemist? There again, that`s just my opinion. My wife can`t understand why I think I have to modify a new car as soon as I get it home.:dunno

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Check it out, it`s a documented approach at http://www.customacrylic.com/klasse.html

It can also be added to the wash water, although I haven`t tried it. I really like the AIO QD for door jams, under the hoodl, trunk etc... It works because it mixes with water, which I believe SG does not. Two very different products.

While this approach is very user friendly for use on the car, the most awesome results using AIO, for me anyway, are by following the advice in http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...hlight=AIO+Tip
    PRGALLO

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you guys using tap water or filtered water with AIO? This sounds like A big money saver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tap water works great.
    PRGALLO

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using just filtered tapwater and the results are great...

TC
    There Is a Very Fine Line Between "Hobby" And "Mental Illness"

Professional Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have never used SG because I`ve always liked the finish I got with just the AIO. I can`t say if the SG is water soluble because I`ve never tried it. Regular tap water is all I use to dilute AIO and it really does save the end user money. I only use this solution for quick detailing, not for detailing a customers car paint finish. That is when I use the AIO full strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    With so many great QD sprays out there, I don`t know what advantage this would really offer for me. I already have Quik Shine, QD+, Crystal Mist and another trial product among my QD sprays. I can`t imagine and another one.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Professional Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear ya Scott. I accidently discovered this trick with AIO and have been using it ever since. I still have my Four Star Spray Wax that I only use as a lubricant for my claying and buffer pad prepping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by prgallo
    Check it out, it`s a documented approach at http://www.customacrylic.com/klasse.html

It can also be added to the wash water, although I haven`t tried it. I really like the AIO QD for door jams, under the hoodl, trunk etc... It works because it mixes with water, which I believe SG does not. Two very different products.

While this approach is very user friendly for use on the car, the most awesome results using AIO, for me anyway, are by following the advice in http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...hlight=AIO+Tip
    Not sure if this site is a credible resource. They sell the product but look at their advise.

They recommend using an old tee shirt and circular overlapping motion (by hand)

"By Hand: For non-oxidized surfaces - The vehicle surface should be fairly clean. Start with a damp cloth and a small amount (about the size of a quarter_ of "All-in-One". Apply with circular overlapping motions and even pressure, wipe off immediately. This technique eliminates residue, and collecting in trim-texture surfaces. For severely oxidized surfaces - Start with a dry cloth and apply a small amount of "All-in-One", as above. A repeat application may be necessary. Additional coats (layers) will stay "crystal- clear" and leave the protected surface with the feel of polished marble."

"Selecting cloths: Avoid synthetic fabrics such as rayon. They can scratch the finish. Use cotton cloths like diapers, cotton T-shirts, or towels. Use thin material for application. Use thick fabric for removal. "

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dalton
    Not sure if this site is a credible resource. They sell the product but look at their advise.

They recommend using an old tee shirt and circular overlapping motion (by hand)

"Selecting cloths: Avoid synthetic fabrics such as rayon. They can scratch the finish. Use cotton cloths like diapers, cotton T-shirts, or towels. Use thin material for application. Use thick fabric for removal. "
    Maybe it`s old instructions. I believe these type cloths were status quo until microfiber was introduced to auto detailing. :dunno I could be wrong. A lot of products still advise the use of these type cloths.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like
    They should update. Also, that would be VERY dated recommending tee shirts. I know cotton towels are still used by some but a tee shirt?

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not unheard of for people to use a tee shirt. I`m not recommending it, but it`s all about what people want to use. Keep in mind not everyone sees it as prudent to shell out $5-10 for a microfiber towel. I won`t say I agree with it, but then again, that`s just my opinion. I guess some people have their ways set, and if you are going to market to an uneducated public (which a lot of people who clean cars are - uneducated about the products and procedures) you have to keep it as simple as possible. Just a thought.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple things I`d like to contribute as I read this thread (some good info, btw).

The AIO bottle I have, IIRC, recommends using diluted AIO both in wash water and as a diluted quick detail spray (they don`t use the phrase QD, I don`t think, but words similar). So, the fact that it`s on the bottle itself should remove any question of the credibility of the approach. Now, how well it works is certainly a subjective matter. I tried it a few times, and while it was ok, it wasn`t as good as some of the QD sprays I had, so I didn`t do it anymore.

The approach of using a mildly diluted form with a PC as a prep, though, is very interesting to me. I might try this next time I tear down and polish and rebuild.

As far as t-shirts, sometimes I still use an old 100% cotton (white) t-shirt to apply SG by hand. I keep old ones, cut into about 10" squares, in a bag with my stuff for various grunge duty. These are undershirts, and by the time they make it to the bag they`re usually very soft from being laundered so many times. When they get ugly, I throw them away. It`s easy to get a thin layer of SG with them, and the t-shirt doesn`t absorb much (I feel like I waste at least 3X as much as I apply if I use a foam applicator), and so far I haven`t seen any resulting swirls. Interestingly, this is the only way I`ve been able to apply SG so that it seems to almost "absorb" into the paint when applied, making removal very easy.

my $.0.02 worth, YMMV.

blue skies,
    Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    If I use the diluted AIO on the inside of my front windshield, will it leave any residue or smears after wiping it off with a MF?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information