Post Thanks / Like

Matching on a re-paint?

This winter Im planing on having my hood re-painted. I was wondering what questions I should ask at a body shop...in order to get the best match possible.

My car is Black if that helps.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, The best thing you can do is see some of their work.
    Unfortunately, lots of shops talk a good game, but it is quite often just talk.

One other thing. A good painter doesn`t usually come cheap.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Charles.

You also might want to check around with some of your friends who have had work done. Look over their cars. Check with pro detailers in the area. Ask who they think does good work. Hang out for a bit in the shops you are considering. Look for a shop that is neat and has the right equipment -- a good paint booth, etc. In other words, just be a PIA. Let the shop folks know that you expect perfection. You will be glad that you took the time to do so.

After all of this, if your paint job is not right, be ready to keep going back until it is. I`ve done that a lot even after doing all of the above.

Charles and I are both "old guys". (Right, Charles?) We`ve had lots of experiences with body shops.

By the way, I have had black vehicles since 1977 and it is possible for a shop not to match the color. All blacks are not the same. However, your chance of getting a good paint match are probably better with black than with any other color. (One of the reasons I choose to buy black vehlcles.)

Tom :cool
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tguil
    I agree with Charles.

You also might want to check around with some of your friends who have had work done. Look over their cars. Check with pro detailers in the area. Ask who they think does good work. Hang out for a bit in the shops you are considering. Look for a shop that is neat and has the right equipment -- a good paint booth, etc. In other words, just be a PIA. Let the shop folks know that you expect perfection. You will be glad that you took the time to do so.

After all of this, if your paint job is not right, be ready to keep going back until it is. I`ve done that a lot even after doing all of the above.

Charles and I are both "old guys". (Right, Charles?) We`ve had lots of experiences with body shops.

By the way, I have had black vehicles since 1977 and it is possible for a shop not to match the color. All blacks are not the same. However, your chance of getting a good paint match are probably better with black than with any other color. (One of the reasons I choose to buy black vehlcles.)

1. What are some of the right questions to ask? Is there types of products that they should or shouldn`t be using?
    2. Is there a certian thickness or amount of coats that they should be applying?
    3. What is some of the right equipment that they should have?

Thanks for the help Its much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you located, maybe someone could suggest a place they have used?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think 1 way of finding the right paint color is if you check around your engine there should be a paint code.

Post Thanks / Like
    Focusedonsound,

You don`t need to get into to much "specific stuff" with the shop. If the shop has a good reputation in general they will be using the right stuff. Look for a neat shop and techs that appear to like their jobs. Ask to see some off their work in progress. The shop manager should be friendly and knowledgeable. Trust your instincts.

2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the Tips Guys....

Im located in Northern New Jersey.

I have 2 shops in mind that are capeble of doing the work. (One of which painted my fathers 63 1/2 Ford Falcon.) I just wanted to make sure I was taking the proper steps to get the job done right. Along with knowning the right questions to ask. I figure that way when I go in there I won`t get jerked around!

once again thanks for the tips!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in rockland county ny, there is a place called Clarkstown Collision on 304 next to Rockland Bakery with an excellent reputation, it`s huge place and extremly clean. My father had his bumper done there on an 04 silver maxima with a little flake in the paint, they matched it perfectly. I`m actually taking my black 330 there soon to get the hood done.

Ask about a warranty, I know CC has a lifetime warrenty as long as you own the car.
    What type of paint they use? or if you can select a type of paint.
    And if you could see the booths they spray in.

Thread Information