Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation HELP: Stained BMW Wheel?!?!

Im in the middle of detailing a BMW M5 and I can`t get the wheel clean!!! Actually its very clean, its more like stained. Where the spokes meet the wheel, its black and nothing Ive used takes it out. So far Ived tried, Wheel wax, Amazing Roll Off, Eagle One A2Z, PPP, Menzerna FP. NOTHING has even come close to making an improvement. It seems as if the stains are under the clearcote of the wleel...What should I do?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Post Thanks / Like
    do your best and move on ... if you didnt create the problem and youve done your best just explain that to the customer
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, thats what I ended up doing. It really seamed like it was underneth the clearcoat of the wheel. I recommended that he take it back to BMW and complain about it. Maybe they`ll give him a new one or at least a half price one. I felt bad because I wanted the car to look perfect, but it just wasn`t possible. That wheel was beyond detailing.
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Post Thanks / Like
    Try gently agitating with a toothbrush and A2Z. Worked on a mercedes wheel for me.

Proud Resident Of Detail City
    Post Thanks / Like
    The brake dust has etched its way into the clearcoat on the rim. I have seen this on other beamers. You might want to try a wheel cleaning acid, however, use extreme caution and dilute exactly as stated on the container.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes Chrome polish works to cut the baked on brake dust. I like the Simonize brand the best but it is difficult to find. Rub it on ... let it sit for 15-30minutes and wipe off. I have had good luck using it on clearcoated wheels.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    The coating is GONE looks like it was cleaned with acid as stated above YOU HAVE DONE YOUR BEST MOVE ON, GOOD LUCK

Post Thanks / Like

TheSopranos16

Those wheels !!! I had the same problem with an M5 I detailed earler this year and I used AM`s Spoke full strength with no luck. I believe that these wheels were flawed from the factory, because I have never saw this problem on any other wheel.
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TheSopranos16

Originally posted by Clean Dean
    Those wheels !!! I had the same problem with an M5 I detailed earler this year and I used AM`s Spoke full strength with no luck. I believe that these wheels were flawed from the factory, because I have never saw this problem on any other wheel.
    Thanks for all the responses everyone! Clean Dean, I would have to agree. There was definately something wrong with this wheel because I`ve never seen anything like this. The surface of the wheel was clean enough to eat off of yet it was black! I did my best explaining the problem to the owner. He wasn`t mad or anything, I just don`t like doing a less than perfect job But this one was out of my control I guess.

brwill2004, I actually tried some full strength acid in a very small spot and agitated it, no luck.

KimWallace, I should have tried chrome polish but its too late now since the owner picked up the car yesterday. But I`ll keep it in mind for next time I run into a problem like this (which will hopefully be never, I wasted an hour trying to fix this before I moved on).

Thread Information