Post Thanks / Like

Best way to remove extreme dirt from carpet

I decide to clean out the interior of my girlfriends Mercury Cougar yesterday. It was a hand down from her grandmother and was extremely dirty. I took the car to the gas station to use their high powered vacuums (since I live in an apartment and really don`t have a shop vac). Well, to make a long story short, two vacuum sessions and $1.50 later...there was still dirt embedded in the carpet. It seemed like this dirt was so ground into the carpet, that the vacuum wouldn`t even pick it up. Is there another instrument that I could use to remove this embedded dirt???

Here are some pictures of how dirty the interior was (WARNING: This is extremely graphic material!!!):

Post Thanks / Like
    Well to really clean the carpet deep down you need a heated carpet extractor which are expensive and made for professional detailers. I guess you could rent a carpet cleaning machine from the grocery store and use the extractor.

Also prespotting and scrubbing with a good APC like Meguiars APC+ or White Lighting would also be good.
    www.exotiXboard.com

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a job for an extractor.
    But since you don`t have that option, I think a good carpet and upholstery cleaner brush would do a lot for you.
    I have used Dri-Clean and Prestone carpet cleaners with good results. For a brush, I used what I believe is called a vegetable brush. As bad as it looks, you will probably need to do it more than once. Just don`t get the carpet soaking wet.
    For the console/shifter area, a good all purpose cleaner should clean most of that up. Fantastic would probably be one that you would have easy access to.

Myself, I would use Meguiar`s APC+, (I think the new replacement for APC+ is called All Purpose Cleaner) for both projects, but that product might not be that easy for you to locate. If you do use the Meg`s, be sure to follow the dilution ratio instructions on the bottle. I haven`t used the new All Purpose Cleaner, but IMO APC+ is great stuff.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    :yeah

PLUS lots of this >Scrub scrub scrub !! You should get your daily requirement of workouting cleaning that carpet. Nothing cleans like good ole elbow grease. In this case lots of it

Dont forget some after pics to go with these before pics . I believe some people might pay for the rights to use those pics if the results are turn out good. Good luck

Proud Resident Of Detail City
    Post Thanks / Like
    You will have to loosen the dirt with a siff bristled brush. Vacuum as much as possible with the strongest vacuum you can find. Try 303 cleaner and spot remover to clean the carpet. It is a great product. As for the shift console, spray lots of interior cleaner on it and use a soft/medium bristled brush to scrub. You may have to repeat this process until you achieve your desired results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Thas dirty. I had a cougar come in liek that .I used a shop vac type vac on it . and it took a while. Foaming carpet cleaner worked for me . A scrub brush for interior too. once i loosend it all up i gave it a good vac one more time... it seemed to do the trick. also try an air compressor with a blower attachment . bLOW FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE . AND OUT THE DRIVER DOOR. THEN SWITH TO DRIVER SIDE AND BLOW PASSENGER DIRT OUT PASSENGER DOOR. this works well . you will need to vac again as some stuff slys and settles. The center console- grab a tooth brush. a good cleaner and about 6 hrs. you should be good . good luck with it .
    "you cant judge a car by its cover "

Thread Information