Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Carpet Cleaning...Little green machine

OK...once again autopia is no help. i`m losing faith.

anyway...business cards are made and im about ready to make my detailing debut. i`m very confident in my detailing abilities except for one thing. I really don`t know the process for cleaning carpet and lack the supplies for doing so. With that said i was wondering if you guys could explain to me to process one would take for a disgusting carpet type situation.

Could a little green machine get the job done? would a mobile detailer be able to get good results with this and a vacuum or is something more needed in other situations? (ie. extractor)

thanks guys!
    01 Supercharged Nissan Frontier

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been trying to get around buying an extractor for a while now. Its got to be the most expensive item a detailer needs. I still don`t have one and don`t plan on getting one because to me they are cost prohibative...hopefully someone has some good ideas on getting around that!
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Post Thanks / Like
    that`s why i want to find out if a little green machine is as effective or almost as effective as an extractor??

Post Thanks / Like
    The little green machine can do light to mild-medium work, but beyond that, there just isn`t enough suction. It also lacks heating the water up enough to break down the grime and stuff. However, I used it on a car that has never had carpet cleaning done, and he works at a sports bar in the cooking area. The mats were just clumped with grease and stuff.

I used Adam`s Polishes Carpet cleaner as a prep, along with some Greezed Lightning. With a lot of aggitation with a firm bristle brush, I then used the little green with Top of the Lines Rug Renew as my solution. It`s definitely ALOT better, but still not perfect. The imbedded stains just spread and got lighter. The client wasn`t expecting miracles, and that is one thing you should be upfront about it carpet stains. This was more of a friend than a client, so I wasn`t "as" worried as I should have been.

An extactor and the above chemicals would get this out 95%; I`ve seen it first hand. The extractor is a kick in the wallet for sure, but if you can get some steady business, 5-8 full details would pay it off. Also, think if you bought the floor attachment accessory, you could use it in the home too. I`ve kept putting it off and putting it off, but when I get a new home, I think I`m going to go ahead and go for it.

Now, the Lil` Green is a beast on decently maintained carpets for sure. For that reason, I keep using it. Most of my clientle do not require such a poweful machine (thank GOD), so that is another reason for holding off on it. It really is a great toy, and for less than $100, makes it worth more than gold.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta agree with Nick. I have the heated little green and it works great on light stuff. Lately, I have quit running any solution through it and just use the hot water. I spray the carpets with Megs APC+ at 8-1 and scrub vigorously with a stiff bristle carpet brush. I then use the hot water to rinse and extract. It works ok but most of my clientele are daily drivers and minivans that are severely neglected. I often want to ask if they even own a vacuum! I can get out a lot but not the severely ground in dirt. It`s frustrating because I waste a lot of time (and product) making 20 passes on a floormat. For that reason I`m going to buy a professional extractor. I figure that the time it will save me and cleaner carpets will make it worth the money. If you plan on starting your own business, start out with the little green to get you going and when you have some money in the bank buy a pro extractor. You can still keep you`re little green for a backup. That`s my plan anyway. Good luck.
    I love the smell of EX-P in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Ace Of Spades
    If you plan on starting your own business, start out with the little green to get you going and when you have some money in the bank buy a pro extractor. You can still keep you`re little green for a backup. That`s my plan anyway. Good luck.
    My plan exactly Ace, thanks for the advice guys. DC is great! keep it coming!!!

Also, where do you guys recommend buying a lil green machine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Try looking around at yard sales. Ive seen extractors at some of them. Check your local janitorial supply house they will have used ones thaty work really good.
    Ron

Ron`s Dent`s & Details

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just brush in an APC+ solution and use my 5hp vac and a clear nozzle to suck up the solution. Then I use a pump up bug sprayer with water to wet the carpet, brush that, then suck that up. Then once more with the water.
    I like my way because
    1. No need to carry a vacuum and Green machine
    2. The Green machine does NOT have a 5hp motor (maybe more like 2 hp)
    3. The bug sprayer is only $10

The only downside is my water is not heated, however, the Green machine water cools down a bit by the time it comes out of the nozzle. I used to own one.

YMMV
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m waiting on my LGM to get here . I picked it up on Ebay , you can find plenty of them on there for around $49 or so . I paid $66 shipped .

Post Thanks / Like
    whoa...good call that`s cheap

Post Thanks / Like
    Are they refurbished?
    2002 Tahoe Z71 (Black with Gray interior)
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Big P
    Are they refurbished?
    Not the one I got but yes some are . Just read the description real good and if in doubt ask the seller a question. I would have rather bought one from someplace local but nobody stocks the proheat model.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only place I saw stock it was Sears and they are getting $99 for it. I got mine on ebay for around Rollman`s price as well.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    Got mine at Lowes for $99.
    I love the smell of EX-P in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Carpet Cleaning...Little green machine

Hi everyone..Mark here from Pittsburgh, PA. It`s my first post!

Opening my own detailing business here full time; do you professionals out there have an opinion about extractors? Does the LGM really do ok on carpets?

I have been seriously thinking about getting an extractor, but $$$$!

I`d rather not right now, but if I have to I have to I guess.

Isn`t doing the carpets by hand very time consuming?

Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information